Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk

Disappointed in 3801HGV Configuration features

So, I'm finally getting around to getting my home network built the way I want it and I'm discovering the considerable lack of functionality on the 3801 that I can only assume is a feature of AT&T hobbling the firmware. There is no ability to add static routes and you can't disable DHCP. This is kind of crappy and limiting. I need more private subnets behind another router and would prefer to run my own more capable DHCP server.

I also noticed that the Multicast video traffic floods all ports on the 3801, regardless of IGMP membership. I wanted to have one port extended to a VLAN on my switch to support my set top boxes on an isolated segment with IGMP snooping turned on. A second port would connect to an outside interface on my router that I would use to segment my wired LAN, Wireless APs and VoIP traffic and deliver all the security capabilities I want to deploy.

Any possibility that AT&T might open this functionality back up on these boxes or make it available on the new Motorola boxes that are coming?

Without static routing I have to enable NAT on my downstream router which sucks. Then I have to double NAT my traffic to get to the Internet. Bleh! It would be real nice to support bridging on the gateway and allow the public IP to live on a customer's equipment if they wanted to.

Is there any way a customer can actually build a real network behind a UVerse connection without being forced into the pre-packaged walled garden these gateways put you in?
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
My setup fairly basic,

GS switch for 3 STB's port 1
Netgear router (LAN) port2 setup on DMZ > DHCP handles all house traffic from here, wired & wireless.

Have no problems. I believe that while multicast may flood the ports, that communication is only to "connected" STB's asking for it, has no effect on the LAN router, at least not mine.

Segmenting is easy. Just my 2c.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
The multicast floods all the ports. So, it is eating bandwidth and adding some load to the router. Multicast is exactly like Broadcast traffic except that hosts ignore it unless they are IGMP joined to the destination Multicast group. The router still has to evaluate the destination MAC of the traffic to identify what to do with it. I average about 15Mbps of video traffic. That is not a small amount of traffic for my router to be evaluating and discarding continuously. I'm thinking I'll put in one connection from the 3801 to my switch for a VLAN with my set top boxes and then I'll drop a second connection to a port with a separate 2 port VLAN that is solely for my router uplink. I have IGMP snooping on my switch so the switch can sink the multicast traffic instead of my router, since it has a ton more ASICs horsepower for just that task.

What does placing the Netgear router into DMZ mode buy you? If you route through your Netgear router to different IP subnets, you still can not reach them without NATing on the Netgear box. That sucks that you have to set your router to obtain its outside IP by DHCP to support DMZ mode and NAT everything going through it. If I write any access policy based on the oustide interface IP on the router, it all breaks if that address changes. So I guess I need to set the lease time long enough to avoid that scenario. I just hate having such limited flexibility. I should be able to enable DMZ mode for a machine with a static IP and configure routes if I want to or configure a static DHCP assignment to ensure certain devices always retain the same IP address.

I appreciate you sharing your setup. Thanks Canezoid See Profile!
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state
reply to rolande
said by rolande:

Any possibility that AT&T might open this functionality back up on these boxes?

No

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX
You are best off getting your own router and setting up the RG into DMZ+ mode. See the link below for how to setup DMZ+ best.

»forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Ga···755#M182