Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to skeechan

Re: Won't be a market for it Just Lie Blu Ray

I bought my 26in 1080p LCD tv at an yard sale for $100 and ask for a blu ray paly with Netflix for Christmas. I already have regrets getting the blu rau player, I should had as for Roku and stuck to standard DVD. I just do not see the advantage or justify the cost over standard DVD. Now the want me to junk it all for 4k? I am not made of money.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
said by Scatcatpdx:

I bought my 26in 1080p LCD tv at an yard sale for $100 and ask for a blu ray paly with Netflix for Christmas. I already have regrets getting the blu rau player, I should had as for Roku and stuck to standard DVD. I just do not see the advantage or justify the cost over standard DVD. Now the want me to junk it all for 4k? I am not made of money.

I used to have that problem with watching stuff on a 23" monitor but when I got my 40" it was clear dvd movies no longer looked good..
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
And that will be the case with 4K, but when you get to a 90" screen that regular consumers will never buy.

Oh and it is Nee-kohn, not neh-kahn.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
skeechan - within a decade new forms of display panels will get so thin and cheap to make and so low voltage and low logic to run that instead of a single 90" panel, we will be able to buy seamless 12" "bathroom wall tiles" each it's own panel you can logically gang together to form a media wall of any size and shape you desire. such a system won't be used to just watch cartoons, rather to post moving scenes of a rolling countryside for us to relax and watch as society becomes more urbanized, kind of like how people today put yule log videos on their TVs. they already exist for outdoor advertising, so it's only a matter of time before they become a standard consumer product.

so 4k is more about controlling a certain standard matrix of image definition, not about what size medium it will eventually be displayed on. netflix saying is will and can provide 4k is as not a marketing balloon to it's customer base, it's a shot across the bow to ISP's of the world that killer apps that require more bandwidth are coming, so stop sitting on your collective hands living in denial thinking some 7Mbps average ISP service will be enough for everyone.

something similar is happening with the evolution of solar power panels. eventually we will be able to simply apply a tint like film to our existing windows that collect solar energy down into lead wires, and solar energy collecting tiles will be applied to the sides and roofs of building that gang together to collect energy. the technology already exists, but they are still working on production costs, durability and energy yields before making them widely available.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Eventually...meanwhile Netflix is wasting their time.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

And that will be the case with 4K, but when you get to a 90" screen that regular consumers will never buy.

Oh and it is Nee-kohn, not neh-kahn.

You know I thought about getting a slight larger screen (46") but for the price with 3D I was like I can get myself a projector with 3D and spend less and get a size I want.. Yes you have to replace bulbs but my viewing habits I could get about 2 1/2 3 years out of a bulb.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
I got lazy and bought a HMT-1Z.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
What is that?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Personal home theater...Sony put out the most uncomfortable headset on the planet but it takes up no space.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by skeechan:

Personal home theater...Sony put out the most uncomfortable headset on the planet but it takes up no space.

Oh that.. I've never seen anyone use them.. I guess ok for people without glasses.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Given the discomfort they aren't really suitable to anyone who doesn't have a Beetlejuice sized head.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
lol I got a laugh out of that