join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Nightfall

MVM

said by Metatron2008:

It didn't fit our vision

»www.shacknews.com/articl ··· -simcity

It will in a future patch I bet. If some kid hacker figured out how to do it, then it will be easy to patch in down the road. Bank on it.

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

Re: Maxis: "We could've had an offline mode but..."

said by Nightfall:

said by Metatron2008:

It didn't fit our vision

»www.shacknews.com/articl ··· -simcity

It will in a future patch I bet. If some kid hacker figured out how to do it, then it will be easy to patch in down the road. Bank on it.

I still don't understand the need for "offline" mode.... Sure the servers in the first few days were a problem... but I have not had an issue in days...

Bottom line is most of the "offline" crowd simply don't like the DRM...

FYI the DRM will not go away... Now perhaps their will be an offline mode down the road but you will still need online access for DRM purposes...
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

So if your internet goes out you wont have your progress thrown away? But really if they don't remove the online drm a patch is pretty much useless useless, so why even bother with the patch?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

to Mcrobrewer
What if you are traveling, and can't connect to the internet. Guess you'll just have to read a book and forget that city, until you can connect to the net.
IMO, they should have made simcity to match their other web based games. That way, no one would complain about the need of internet connection.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to me1212

MVM

to me1212
said by me1212:

So if your internet goes out you wont have your progress thrown away? But really if they don't remove the online drm a patch is pretty much useless useless, so why even bother with the patch?

While I don't agree with the way it is made, I can tell you that there are numerous other games where if your internet goes out, you lose your progress. You have MMORPGs, you have Guild Wars as well. I could go on and on here.

So while more and more games are requiring a internet connection, I just don't understand why Maxis didn't build this into the game at the start. Its really dumb and EA deserves all the bad press it has been getting.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Those are multi-player based games, were sim city a multi-player based game that would be one thing, but with single player no thats not acceptable.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by me1212:

Those are multi-player based games, were sim city a multi-player based game that would be one thing, but with single player no thats not acceptable.

Skyrim is a single player game. They are turning the next game into a multiplayer game. You are right and I feel the same way about building in no single player option, but at the same time, just because it was only single player in the past doesn't mean it couldn't have been made multiplayer today.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

1 recommendation

Xioden to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
They could easily have gone the Dark Souls route. Have some extra things if you're online, but otherwise the game works just fine entirely single player.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

C0deZer0 to Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

to Mcrobrewer
said by Mcrobrewer:

I still don't understand the need for "offline" mode.... Sure the servers in the first few days were a problem... but I have not had an issue in days...

Bottom line is most of the "offline" crowd simply don't like the DRM...

FYI the DRM will not go away... Now perhaps their will be an offline mode down the road but you will still need online access for DRM purposes...

Despite what these publishers may think, internet access (and for that matter, reliable internet access) is not available at every corner of the globe. Satellite doesn't count for obvious reasons (latency being chief among them, along with daily bandwidth caps following right along), and there are still parts of the world that basically only have a "56k at best" connectivity available to 'serve' them.

I myself fail to see the point of an always-online DRM for a game that I didn't intend on playing online to begin with.Even when I was into the genre, SimCity or any of the Maxis Sim series of games were never something I considered 'sharing' online for any reason. And given the very token manner(s) in which it is implemented, there is little to no justification to implement an always-on DRM for "social media purposes". I don't make a habit of sharing every gaming-related thing I do to everyone on my Facebook or Twitter, or whatever myriad of such things. Why can't I just opt out? Steam at the least only requires to be online once before a single player game can be played offline.
said by Xioden:

They could easily have gone the Dark Souls route. Have some extra things if you're online, but otherwise the game works just fine entirely single player.

So long as said extras aren't required at any point within the game, I don't see any inherent problem with your proposed solution.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
The idea sounds great, instead of one city you are now managing something like a small country.

I think it was a great idea and evolved the game beyond "just another sim city game".

People love to focus on negatives, and I really think this has been blown out of proportion.

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

I myself fail to see the point of an always-online DRM for a game that I didn't intend on playing online to begin with.

Then SC 5 is simply not for you.

From the outset it was clear to those following the news that this game was going to be more "online co-op" play than the past versions of this game.

People find that hard to grasp. Sometimes a game series changes and what was once liked is not liked (by some).

That is a sort of evolution that publishers do.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

What if you are traveling, and can't connect to the internet.

Gee I don't know, play one of the other hundreds of thousands of games out there maybe?
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

1 recommendation

me1212

And what about if all games had this? If ea makes enough money from this and all their games get always online drm, then other companies will follow suit because if one of the industry giants can do make money from it then others will try too. Then all the new games will, what then? Just stop playing when traveling and board? No thanks.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil to Cthen

Premium Member

to Cthen
said by Cthen:

said by Snakeoil:

Gee I don't know, play one of the other hundreds of thousands of games out there maybe?

Maybe for you, but many of us can only afford one, maybe two games at a time. Thanks to their over inflated prices.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to me1212

MVM

to me1212
said by me1212:

And what about if all games had this? If ea makes enough money from this and all their games get always online drm, then other companies will follow suit because if one of the industry giants can do make money from it then others will try too. Then all the new games will, what then? Just stop playing when traveling and board? No thanks.

There has been a big movement to online gaming. Today, there are very few single player game experiences. I am playing Dead Space 3 and Far Cry 3 right now, and both are single player. A majority of the gaming I do is multiplayer. There will always be single player games out there and available to gamers. If the big studios won't make them, then smaller studios will do the work. I am not concerned about that.

What I do want to see is an online and offline option.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

said by Cthen:

said by Snakeoil:

Maybe for you, but many of us can only afford one, maybe two games at a time. Thanks to their over inflated prices.

So your saying SC 5 is the only game you own? Sorry but sucks to be you that you spent all those years saving for just that one.

EDIT: To also mention, if you planned a trip to somewhere with no internet access and you just have to have internet access, for a game that is stated to be internet only, who fault is that?
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to Nightfall

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

Thats what I'm saying, if this continues we could loose that via always online drm. Thats why I will not buy an EA game unless/until they stop this. What do we do if that happens and then be it on pc or console you can't game without internet?

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil to Cthen

Premium Member

to Cthen
I try to avoid EA games as much as possible.

Hence, I don't own SC5, though I do own SC4, through steam.

Most of my PC games are online:
WOW, Earth and Beyond, Warface, and a couple of others.

When I am offline, I have solitaire, minecraft, to keep me occupied.

But I am not a fan of games that require an always on internet connection.

Read my recent post about what the developers are doing for Shroud of the Avatar. They are giving the player choices.
1]Offline mode. It's DRM free. You create and play a toon offline. It can not be used online at all.
2]Solo online. Allows you to create a toon for online solo play.
3]selective group online play. Only allows your friends to see you online.
4]open online play. Allows everyone to see you.

The above makes a lot of sense. And, IMO, is a very smart move.

**edit**

I was a die hard farmville and knights of camelot player. Those games reuired an internet connection and logging in at least once a day. Farmville was easier than KOC, because you didn't have troops to feed, or worry about other players attacking you.
I managed a few times to go on vacations without the need to log in and check on them.
Farmville, I just not plant anything. KOC, I'd run a cheat script that would send troops out to "auto farm" barbarian camps. As long as the browser didn't crash, or my power didn't go out, I'd be ok. Or if I was attacked, and the attacker was slower then my raids, my food levels would remain high.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to me1212

MVM

to me1212
said by me1212:

said by Nightfall:

Thats what I'm saying, if this continues we could loose that via always online drm. Thats why I will not buy an EA game unless/until they stop this. What do we do if that happens and then be it on pc or console you can't game without internet?

You should speak with your wallet when you disagree with a game. I don't have any problem with that. From the onset though, this simcity game was touted as a multiplayer game. Since you don't like it, you shouldn't buy it. At the same time though, the hundreds of thousands of other games that are enjoying the game have a right to do just that.

With many other games being bought for their multiplayer aspects, the offline options are dwindling. Hell, I know when I bought Battlefield 3, Call of Duty franchise games, Guild Wars, or most other games, they are for the multiplayer.

I get what you are saying, but if I lost my internet connection, there are a whole library of games I wouldn't want to fire up in the first place.

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
said by me1212:

said by Nightfall:

I am curious what OS do you use?

stet
Volitar Prime
join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI

2 recommendations

stet to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
They should have called this one "SimCity Online" because that is essentially what it is. At this point they really should consider changing the name. It would end a lot of confusion. They also need to allow anyone who is not happy with the online only direction of this game to return it for a full refund. Kudos to Amazon for already doing this.

Now what they should do is take what they have now and use it as the foundation for a new game. Strip out all the multiplayer/social parts of it and re-balance the game for single player. Add in all the missing elements and complexity that was present in SimCity 4 and then expand on that. Call it "SimCity 5" and release it at the end of the year (if ready). It will sell millions.

If they are really clever they would find some way to link the two games together in some interesting way to make it worth while owning both.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall

said by Nightfall:

Bank on it.

Because your EA street cred is running so high right now.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Mcrobrewer

to Mcrobrewer

Windows and linux. Depending on what I want to do.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Exodus

MVM

to Exodus

said by Exodus:

said by Nightfall:

Bank on it.

Who needs street cred when I am speaking from a historical standpoint.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008

I can finish this sentence perfectly.

Maxis: "We could've had an offline mode but..." we're EA's shills now so no, we couldn't have.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

said by Exodus:

said by Nightfall:

Bank on it.

Who needs street cred when I am speaking from a historical standpoint.

You mean a historical standpoint where EA constantly kills franchises, is always anti consumer, always finds new ways to get profit streams in anti consumer ways, etc?

Or the historial standpoint that you created in your head where just because a company hasn't had a game that stopped working in single player mode, that they'll later on patch simcity to work in single player? They will be so pro consumer like that after they refused refunds?

And I know I know, you'll ask me for an example of a game that stopped working in single player mode. Even though no former Ea games used always on DRM. You'll tell me that a company that refuses to give people refunds, threatens to ban people, blocks their own customer care number from their forums, etc, will magically later on patch Simcity to work in single player, all from the kindness of their heart.

You'll argue that after so much anti consumer crap, EA is secretly all along a good friend who will go and do that, and not make a Simcity 2014 where they change a couple items and kill the current Simcity servers. You know, like they do Madden?

And this is all from your 'historial standpoint'.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

You may want to do a little research on companies removing always on DRM.

I get it though. You don't like the always on DRM requirement, and I don't like it as well which is why I didn't invest in the game. The point is that you saying that Simcity will be offline in 2-3 years is really just pulling something out of your ass. No one knows what the future holds.
Expand your moderator at work
Nightfall

Nightfall

MVM

I have no issue with debating this with you, but the personal insults are not necessary. Let me know when you wish to refrain from that and we can carry on via PM.