how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

inorite

join:2013-03-16
Mesquite, TX

NID - Proper connection - Uverse Internet / POTS

I had Uverse Internet only and recently called to add a POTS line. I have ended up with an audible hum on the POTS line and I'm wondering if everything is hooked up correctly at the NID. Please see pictures below:

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

did they add VoIP or POTS?

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to inorite

If he hooked to the left side of the VDSL splitter filter then he has Pots.

I really wish he took a picture of it actually hooked up with the entire nid showing though.

Also, looks like the drop is hooked to the carbon protector instead of the newer gel protector. Kind of strange.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

I know where he connected it, but I questioned due to in some areas when using U-Verse and already having TV and Internet normally you don't get POTS, you get VoIP.

inorite

join:2013-03-16
Mesquite, TX
reply to inorite

It's definitely POTS and not VOIP. So this is a VDSL splitter? I'll snap a picture of the entire nid tomorrow. If the POTS is hooked up on the left side, that is correct?

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to inorite

Is your U-Verse VDSL or ADSL? That is not a DSL splitter. You may just need either a whole home DSL filter or filters at each voice jack.

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ilikeme:

Is your U-Verse VDSL or ADSL? That is not a DSL splitter. You may just need either a whole home DSL filter or filters at each voice jack.

Yes it is, top modual us a VDSL balun, used to split pots/vdsl,dsl

Bottom modusal is an ebn bridge, also known as a KOP.

Canezoid
End of line

Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ilikeme

said by ilikeme:

Yes it is, top modual us a VDSL balun, used to split pots/vdsl,dsl .

Bottom modual is an ebn bridge, also known as a KOP.

Canezoid
End of line

Powder Springs, GA
reply to inorite

Your setup is fine. One side wired for POTS, the other for VDSL/ADSL, no prob.

Yes, that is a VDSL splitter, can be used for ADSL/2+, to. What do you hear at the test jack on the BALUN ?

The hum may be a fault or something else.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9

Technically the splitter/filter is only a "balun" when the coax balun add on is utilized. Otherwise, as in this case, it is a whole house pots/xDSL splitter/filter

Canezoid
End of line

Powder Springs, GA

Noted .

systech

join:2001-03-16
Richardson, TX
reply to Canezoid

The device in the picture is for VDSL only. Will not work for an ADSL/ADSL2+ setup. Well, I have seen a few work, but signal was highly attenuated.
--
Americans don't care how much something costs, as long as they don't have to pay for it all at once.