scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ooma

[Security] Central management of Mac OS X - removing admin

We are being required to remove administrator access from all users in order to meet some compliance regulations (to easily prevent people from installing unauthorized software). Yes I'm aware this will not prevent them from downloading something and running it without installing.

Has anyone seen any tools free/commercial for managing software on the Mac? Without admin access you cannot even upgrade simple apps like Thunderbird/Firefox/Chrome. I would think there has to be some other company out there that does not give full admin access to their employees yet keeps their apps up to date but I'm not finding anything via Google.

thanks,
Scooby

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

»www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

ARD maybe?

kitsune

join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA
reply to scooby

^^ Also if you are running 10.8 you can change the settings for gatekeeper to restrict even running applications.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to scooby

You need something like Absolute Manage, Casper's Jamf, or Filewave to do this easily.

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA
reply to scooby

What about deepfreeze and setting the computer to reboot daily? Still is able to give them admin access but it will annoy them their software is removed daily after they install it.

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to rugby

said by rugby:

You need something like Absolute Manage, Casper's Jamf, or Filewave to do this easily.

Thanks. I am going to evaluate Absolute Manage. Depending on what apps it supports and what we can add to it, that may be just what we need.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

We use it for a client and it's pretty solid. I upgraded all of their workstations from 10.7 to 10.8.2 without any problems via Absolute.

dscl

join:2001-07-15
Suwanee, GA
reply to scooby

Another Absolute user here, managing about 400 Macs for about three years now (Back when it was LanRev) and it's been working good for us.