Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

JRE != web browser

Can any of you Java heads enlighten me?

I need to install a JRE on Windows 7 so that I can run some Java programs.

The java.com web seems to want to know what web browser I'm going to use. The answer is 'none' - I want to run some Java programs. Which have nothing to do with the web.

(And I don't particularly want to install a web-browser interface to Java either).

What is the minimum thing I need to install to run Java programs?

Thanks.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Pick which whatever browser you like, it doesn't matter -- that will download the JRE for running Java programs locally as well.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I was rather hoping there was some way to choose what I wanted and not get what I didn't want. Apparently not?

(I notice also that Oracle Java is one of those things that come with a worthless install-by-default 'tool bar' that you get if you're not paying attention).

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by dave:

(I notice also that Oracle Java is one of those things that come with a worthless install-by-default 'tool bar' that you get if you're not paying attention).

Just to give you a heads up, it will also default to installing the tool bar for every update you download if you choose to update.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
I don't understand why an apparently reputable software vendor wants to make it look as though they're run by bottom-feeding scum.

I mean, who thinks things like that are 'useful'?

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
said by dave:

I don't understand why an apparently reputable software vendor wants to make it look as though they're run by bottom-feeding scum.

Because Java software (JRE/JDK) is freeware, thanks to the now defunct Sun Microsystems. Larry Ellison (Oracle) needs the extra fee's associated with these "toolbars, etc." to help defray the cost of his racing yachts.

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

1 recommendation

reply to dave
said by dave:

Don't download from java.com, instead get it from here: »www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ··· dex.html, no annoying toolbars, no 'which browser', etc. java.com was setup for people not technically inclined.
--
We don't give a d@mn for the whole state of Michigan... we're from OHIO! O!H! ... I!O!

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile-High
kudos:1
reply to dave
said by dave:

The only way stuff like the toolbar is "useful" to Oracle is in an economic sense. I hate it as much as you do, and don't want Java anywhere near my browsers.

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
reply to dave
Does it still try to get you to install openoffice?

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
I don't think so; but I can probably reject offers of crapware without even noticing

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
OpenOffice is actually a good program. I just don't like the disingenous installation.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to ProtusMose
said by ProtusMose:

Does it still try to get you to install openoffice?

No.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ProtusMose
said by ProtusMose:

OpenOffice is actually a good program. I just don't like the disingenous installation.

Maybe you're right; I simply assumed that any software that hangs around with stealth installers must be up to no good...

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
reply to dave
I rather prefer the Linux install: download tarball and untar it. This certainly suits my I-have-one-java-app-I-want-to-run situation.

(Such an approach is perfectly possible under Windows, but alas, not provided).