PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

2 edits

Krisnatharok to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron

Re: Proposed Mother of All Builds (MOAB)

Got home from Microcenter with the mobo/memory/CPU (meant to get 1600 ram, but the 1866 won't hurt), spent the last 4 hours carefully putting everything together.

The system will power on, but is displaying a 0055 "Detect Memory" error, and the DRAM error light is on near the 24 ATX power cable on the mobo. (this mobo comes with error lights for CPU, memory, GPU, and HDD so you can quickly troubleshoot the issue).

I have:
• Checked for loose connections
• Cycled each module through the _A2 slot (the one to use if you only use one DIMM)
• Tried all combos of memory (1/2/4 with each module in each slot)
• Reseated the CPU and checked for bent pins (there are not any)
• Tried two other types of DDR3 memory--two different OCZ Gold 2GB 1600mhz dimms, and two different G.Skill 2GB 1600mhz dimms
• Reseated the GPU
• Utilized ROG Connect on a remote PC to diagnose via USB (confirms 0055 Detect Memory error)

Edit: The odd thing is that it is not giving the ram beep code via the speaker, even though it it is displaying the memory error.

ASUS is closed now for tech support, I may just wait until tomorrow and give them a call, but I suspect I have a bad board and will need to take it back to Microcenter.

Does anyone disagree, or have additional ideas?

For funsies, here are the final build specs--new mobo/memory/CPU/case, recycling my GPU/SSD/HDD/PSU/CPU cooler. The listed fans are on the H100. Waiting for another GPU to come back into stock.

System Specs

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($278.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($143.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($445.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre PWM 51.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($9.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre PWM 51.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($9.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($127.49 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.96 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.97 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2177.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-16 20:13 EDT-0400)
Krisnatharok

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Click for full size
Cooler installed
Click for full size
Cooler + Memory
Click for full size
No adapter needed with the Thor V2!
Click for full size
Massive 2.5 slot GPU installed
Click for full size
Close up of the Vapor-X
Click for full size
Another shot of the cooler
Click for full size
0055 Detect Memory Error :(
Some shots of the build so far.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Have you tried 1 stick of RAM first, in the furthest away slot from the CPU?

I've been told of late you need to use 1 stick of RAM to set up the system and once it is running you can add more.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I hadn't tried it in the _B2 slot, the ASUS manual directs you to use the _A2 slot (the second one from the CPU) when running with a single stick of ram.

That said, it won't hurt to try.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

Maybe it is the _A2 slot, but my mate (out of town) builds loads of ASUS motherboard gaming rigs and it was a small discussion one day, that he mentioned only 1 stick of RAM. It is strange some of the qwerks you get to hear about at times.

Best of luck.
norwegian

norwegian to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Just looking at that RAM, it isn't on the QVL that I could tell?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

QVL's are pretty worthless as far as they go--there is ram on this board's QVL with a voltage of 1.75v, which will fry an Ivy Bridge CPU.

So here's where it gets weird. I did as you suggested and put the ram in the furthest slot, and it boots up. I'm not sure if dustbusting the ram and the slots did anything, but I quickly found out that the mobo will take ram in the _B1 and _B2 slots (or both), but the moment I stick ram in _A1 or _A2 it defaults into the "Detect Ram Error" problem.

The layout goes:

• CPU
• DIMM_A1
• DIMM_A2
• DIMM_B1
• DIMM_B2
• Edge of mobo

The manual says to put a single dimm in A2, and two sticks in A2/B2.

The ram is 10-11-10-30, but the XMP defaults to 9 CAS. Not sure if that has to do anything, or if I should try 1333, 1600, or the ram's native 1866 in trying to get the mobo to POST with all ram slots populated.

I wonder if I should just return one package of ram and be happy with 16GB in B1/B2. I doubt it is dual channel in that configuration.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Getting it up and running on 2 sticks, then once it settles, try manually tuning the RAM to specs.
I had Geil ram on an ASUS board that wasn't QVL listed and I could set it up to specs manually, but with automatic it would drop back in clocks.
I think you are seeing the same thing, you will just have to play with the memory timing to find what works.

1600 and down is non-O/C'd as well, 1866 up is O/C specs too, which might have something to do with it.

I don't like to say this often, but ignore the manual.
Go for manually set, you should get it all working eventually.

By the way, nice rig.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Any idea where to start? I've never been a memory enthusiast.

You can see where it tried to default to 9-9-9-24 and I changed it back to the ram's native 10-11-10-30 (per the sticker on the ram).