Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Google Glass: The opposition grows

quote:
"Stop The Cyborgs" is a new site that attempts to bring a balanced trepidation to the unbalanced idea that we'll all be walking round with Google's outer brain strapped to our faces.

»news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575746···n-grows/
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI

said by StuartMW:

quote:
"Stop The Cyborgs" is a new site that attempts to bring a balanced trepidation to the unbalanced idea that we'll all be walking round with Google's outer brain strapped to our faces.

»news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575746···n-grows/

Well atleast it's giving the crazies something to focus on instead of being crazy around me.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to StuartMW

Click for full size
Nos. 1-34 = 34
Their index page is devoted to:
"Thirty-Five Arguments Against Google Glass"
In argument 19 they charge Google Glass with
"It will discourage people from paying attention.
Either I'm already not paying enough attention or they have preexisting attention issues not attributable to Google Glass because I only see thirty-four arguments not thirty-five as their homepage claims.
»stopthecyborgs.org/

Where's the 35th argument?

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

Ummm... why do people object to Google Glasses? Is this like the sneering that went on when people first got cell phones? And when people first got smart phones?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

»Google Glass has some major privacy and legal issues
--

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

I don't see how it's diff than having a smart phone with you.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

Well if I point a smartphone at you you'll know I'm taking pics. If I look at you you may not.

(All of which is discussed, at length, in the thread I posted the link to above).
--

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to beck

Because way too many people think they're oh so interesting to everyone else, and they're deathly afraid of being made to look like anything less than the magnificent beings they consider themselves to be... reality be damned.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Well if I point a smartphone at you you'll know I'm taking pics. If I look at you you may not.

So your argument is about product design? (arguably a form of art).
"Suppress art, be free!"
That's a tough rallying call.

said by StuartMW:

(All of which is discussed, at length, in the thread I posted the link to above).

Hmm, then why did you start a new thread if not for discussion within it?

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to beck

said by beck:

Ummm... why do people object to Google Glasses? Is this like the sneering that went on when people first got cell phones? And when people first got smart phones?

I don't remember any sneering, but I gotta say cellphones and smart phones are often overused to the point of abuse, and it's getting worse instead of better. So this may not be the analogy you want to use.

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest

1 recommendation

reply to Snowy

said by Snowy:

said by StuartMW:

So your argument is about product design? (arguably a form of art).
"Suppress art, be free!"
That's a tough rallying call.

Ban shoe cameras!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Snowy

said by Snowy:

So your argument is about product design?

If you insist.

Up until recently if someone wearing glasses looked at me I'd think nothing of it. No one had to wonder if they were being recorded etc.

People have been wearing glasses/spectacles/etc for centuries. It used to be they did so to aid their vision or more recently to reduce UV (sunglasses).

No longer is that the case. Glasses are now a recording device so the wearer can record you (without your knowledge or consent) then upload it to EweToob. I consider that a privacy issue but obviously many don't.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to beck

said by beck:

I don't see how it's diff than having a smart phone with you.

And a lot of us don't want smart phones - as noted already - at least with a smart phone I will generally know if I am being recorded. With more and more employers going online to see about job candidates - I would have even less control of what is on the web about me. I currently protect that a good bit - even on FB.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Glasses are now a recording device so the wearer can record you (without your knowledge or consent) then upload it to EweToob. I consider that a privacy issue but obviously many don't.

I'd be pissed if I was surreptitiously recorded during a moment not intended for an upload to anywhere.
It's not as if I'd be an innocent bystander though.
Google Glass doesn't create anything -

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Snowy:

Google Glass doesn't create anything -

True enough concealed camera have been around since, well, Candid Camera. The difference, which obviously many miss, is that such a camera is concealed in a common and mobile device (glasses). One can literally be anywhere and be viewed/recorded. In the past there were some, if not always respected, limits. Not anymore.

Welcome to the "brave new world".
--

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Trihexagonal

Model#Perv1
said by Trihexagonal:

Ban shoe cameras!

Aah, the under skirt right footed Hokey Pokey shoe!
You stick your right foot out & shake it all around that's what it's all about...
Been years since...

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to beck

said by beck:

Some of us haven't!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to StuartMW

Apart from the camera/privacy issues, I'm waiting for some clown wearing these things to come flying through somebody's windshield as he walks zombie-like right into a stream of traffic whilst watching some... uhmm... "stimulating" subject material. That should lead to a few interesting lawsuits. And we thought texting could be bad for public safety...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

Personally I'd view that as natural selection in action
--

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

No longer is that the case. Glasses are now a recording device so the wearer can record you (without your knowledge or consent) then upload it to EweToob. I consider that a privacy issue but obviously many don't.

If you're doing something that will be 1) Embarrassing or incriminating and 2) is interesting enough to be posted on YouTube,

then perhaps you should ask yourself if you should be carrying out that type of behavior in public (or period).

Having been threatened with violence more then once when I observed criminal activity happening and then attempted to take pictures of it, I'd personally like the option to record and photograph people inconspicuously if needed.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by KrK:

If you're doing something that will be 1) Embarrassing or incriminating and 2) is interesting enough to be posted on YouTube,

The trouble with that is that it's in the eye of the beholder.

Here's an example for ya. A woman is crossing the road, or whatever, on a windy day. A gust of wind raises her skirt. Seconds later it's on EweToob. Her fault?

That worked for Marlyn Monroe but then she wanted the publicity.

--

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to KrK

said by KrK:

then perhaps you should ask yourself if you should be carrying out that type of behavior in public (or period).

Oh no you don't. This blame-the-victim mentality has to stop.

Or have you forgotten all the pervs who shoot women in restrooms, or up their skirts, etc? Just as one example. Paparazzi would be another.

It's every bit as likely the people with the cameras are the ones with behavior issues or downright creeps, and these glasses enable them.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Will it potentially be abused? Yes, but there are laws for that.

It's not a blame the victim mentality either.

You can't stop progress by claiming it could be abused, or that it enables misuse or law breaking. If that was the case, the we'd have to ban the Internet, computers, guns, etc etc because criminals and pervs are "enabled" by these devices and technology to carry out their activities.

As for upskirts using Google Glasses.... huh. Just huh.

Do you thing people having CarDVR's and then posting a vehicle causing the the accident somehow is an invasion of their privacy? Who's the victim you wish to blame? The guy who's bad driving caused the crash, or the guy he collided with?

All these things are tools, nothing more.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by KrK:

Will it potentially be abused? Yes, but there are laws for that.

Well the law is often behind technology.

I'm not for banning this or any other technology. I am however for awareness and social pressure. If some people use Google Glass in an inappropriate way and find their $1,500 purchase in small pieces then so be it. In extreme cases the wearers may require some reassembly.
--

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Don't get sued.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Reminds me of a somewhat related story.

Some years ago I had trouble with a local teenager trespassing on my property (my place was between his and his friends--shortest distance ya see). I caught him numerous times and asked him to stop. It didn't make a difference. I called the police only to be told that law enforcement had to personally observe the behavior before they'd do anything.

One day he did it right in front of me. Didn't give a sh*t. So I went to his house and asked to see his Mom (no Dad). Kid almost started crying "I'll never do it again! I promise!". Seems fear of his mom was greater than anything I could do.
--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to StuartMW

Hmm. Maybe we need Federal registration of all Google Glass purchasers, local Google Glass user permits, and the watermarking of all images created by the glasses. That oughta do it...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

Oh no you don't. This blame-the-victim mentality has to stop.

I too am a victim, so don't blame me!
No one has the right to observe, photograph, film or in any other way create or preserve a record of my public space activity without my express prior consent.
When that anti-surveillance drone technology gets scaled down for personal use, sign me up!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

That's the solution

Every pair of Google Glasses come with a "morality drone". Do anything unacceptable and *zap*, 10kV to the head

--

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

...and the watermarking of all images created by the glasses.

I'd be totally surprised if a digital watermark isn't already in place.
I can't say with 100% certainty that that they do but IMO it's 99+% certain.