Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Snowy

Re: Google Glass: The opposition grows

People are worried now about 'the government' building up data on individuals by mass data analysis. Imagine how much more fun the spooks can have with access to google's photo banks. Or the advertisers, I suppose... choose your own threat-to-civilization. But google would never sell user's data for private profit, so we have nothing to fear there.

What's the difference between surveillance cameras on every building in London, and sureveillance cameras on every other head in Mountain View, except the latter saves taxpayers money?

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by dave:

People are worried now about 'the government' building up data on individuals by mass data analysis. Imagine how much more fun the spooks can have with access to google's photo banks.

I've seen it referenced in this thread & granted I haven't researched it but where is it coming from that all video/stills captured by GoogleGlass is uploaded to Google for their use?

said by dave:

Or the advertisers, I suppose... choose your own threat-to-civilization. But google would never sell user's data for private profit, so we have nothing to fear there.

sarcasm noted

said by dave:

What's the difference between surveillance cameras on every building in London, and sureveillance cameras on every other head in Mountain View, except the latter saves taxpayers money?

I'm a staunch opponent of fixed cameras on public buildings filming out of doors public space.
If a private owner chose to film the public area immediately adjacent to their property that should be their decision as well as their expense.
That might sound like I object to the use of taxpayer money for taping but it's actually about the creep factor.
An individual can act creepy, that's what individual freedom is about, within limits of course.
But when the government acts creepy that's when it crosses into unacceptable.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to dave

said by dave:

...What's the difference between surveillance cameras on every building in London, and sureveillance cameras on every other head in Mountain View, except the latter saves taxpayers money?

For that matter, what's the difference (apart from labor costs) of a human "Bobby" on every building in London, surveying the scene below and surveillance cameras doing the same thing? Most of us have no objections to the "cop on the corner", keeping an eye on things... but thousands of cops (or cameras) begin to make many of us instinctively uneasy. It comes down to a concern over the potential for how they (in either scenario) might ultimately be used or misused with regard to ordinary citizens.

While I'm not particularly comfortable with some nerd wearing Google Glasses wandering around watching (and possibly recording) me, I've not given him the "power of the gun" over me as I have the police or other agents of government. The potential for him doing me harm remains at an essentially one-on-one balance; the potential of government doing me harm exists at a far higher power deficit for me. Consequently, wise men apply - or ought to apply - strictures to government and its agents at a much higher level than they do others in society.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to Snowy

FUD, that's where...

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to Snowy

said by Snowy:

I've seen it referenced in this thread & granted I haven't researched it but where is it coming from that all video/stills captured by GoogleGlass is uploaded to Google for their use?

From

»www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article···ies.html

quote:
According to Google co-founder Sergey Brin, the company plans to have Google Glass fitted with an automatic picture-taking mode, snapping photos at pre-set intervals. This could be as often as every five seconds.

I have no doubt that Google with do everything to collect data from these things. I'm sure, buried in small print in the TOS, that Google will say that the wearer agrees. Who needs cars, equipped with cameras, driving around to create Google Earth street views when you have an army of "lookers" to do it for you for free?

And of course Bob will get it all too.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by StuartMW:

said by Snowy:

From

»www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article···ies.html

quote:
According to Google co-founder Sergey Brin, the company plans to have Google Glass fitted with an automatic picture-taking mode, snapping photos at pre-set intervals. This could be as often as every five seconds.

I have no doubt that Google with do everything to collect data from these things. I'm sure, buried in small print in the TOS, that Google will say that the wearer agrees. Who needs cars, equipped with cameras, driving around to create Google Earth street views when you have an army of "lookers" to do it for you for free?

There is a difference between "an automatic picture-taking mode, snapping photos at pre-set intervals"
&
"an automatic picture-taking mode, snapping photos at pre-set intervals automatically uploading these photo's to our servers"

I'm not saying the possibility is out of the question - I'm just looking for the source of the contention that the output is uploaded to Google (which your quote does not supply).

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Well since Google Glass is not a released product, yet, I doubt you'll find the proof you seek. That said, given Google's (and others for that matter), history with this sort of thing I'd say it's highly likely.

But don't worry I'm sure you have nothing to fear...

--

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by StuartMW:

Well since Google Glass is not a released product, yet, I doubt you'll find the proof you seek.

So were really discussing the 'what if's' rather than actual fact?
"what if" discussions should begin with "What if..."

Still an interesting topic well deserving an extended discussion.

Edit to add: IMO, you diminished the value of your post with the addition of that photo.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Snowy:

So were really discussing the 'what if's' rather than actual fact?

True, none of us know 100% for sure. But we have a good amount of history to show a probable course...

I wonder where Google Glass will be released first? Kailua, HI maybe
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Snowy

said by Snowy:

IMO, you diminished the value of your post with the addition of that photo.

Ok but I think it fits. Anyone who's read 1984 and/or has seen the movie knows that everyone was watched at all times. In fact the characters were being watched even when they thought they weren't.
--

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to dave

said by dave:

I understand the concept that I may be filmed in a public space, and that I may show up in a photo or two. But it doesn't follow that I want a society where everyone's continuously filming everyone else.

I share your POV. But I can see why those, who're in power now and want to have full control over population, may want it to happen exactly that way (don't they call it Novus ordo seclorum?). So, I'd expect media become forming public opinion to support it and corporations, working with govt., promoting (may be even subsidizing) it. "You have nothing to hide, do you? Remember?" And if you don't agree with that (don't want to be continuously filmed), you must be a terrorist of a child molester...

said by dave:

And why do you think the latter will save taxpayers money? I can easily imagine that, when it finally becomes accepted by public, we'll be "granted" with a new Patriot-like act, that will require every law obeying citizen to submit the footage in prompt manner (but not later then 2 weeks, e.g.) to the government for processing and keeping in its databases. It's all will be done for keeping our children safe, of course... Than we all start to pay for that (and the price will not be just the money).

The main problem that I see now is - myopia, that our people develop with the help of those, who want to control everything. People don't want to see farther their own nose. It's like a cow, which can see the grass right in front of her very well, but don't want to know about what's going on in a mile... Those who sell meat use that and can easily lead cattle to slaughter house without ever a notice... With the help of control freaks we're becoming more and more "social" now, always willing to exchange small convenience (mail in cloud, cameras here and there, facebook-like sharing, browser behavioral tracking, GPS real time positioning, etc) with what should be important to us - our privacy. And by convincing everyone around how "cool" it is, we don't even think what we'll have as a result in inevitable future... As I remember, we were already being told what we deserve, but don't care about it at all.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
reply to StuartMW

Tangentially on-topic: 'glass' is voice-controlled, isn't it? I wonder how susceptible it is to subversion by not-the-wearer.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

Apart from the camera/privacy issues, I'm waiting for some clown wearing these things to come flying through somebody's windshield as he walks zombie-like right into a stream of traffic whilst watching some... uhmm... "stimulating" subject material. That should lead to a few interesting lawsuits. And we thought texting could be bad for public safety...

The fellow in California who was texting and almost walked into a bear comes to mind. Video is available in at least two places on YouTube. Google [uh-oh, there's that G-word again] 'texting walks into bear'.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to StuartMW

The Guardian has a fun April Fools parody: Guardian Goggles

Love it!

Guardian Goggles: because life's too short to think for yourself

(go full screen)

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to beck

quote:
why do people object to Google Glasses?
They are the ultimate spying tool!!!!

SOMEONE CAN RECORD YOU W/O YOU EVEN KNOWING!!!

I wont talk to anyone who uses one of these!

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to StuartMW

Next Media Animation (NMA)'s Video

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7eRkRQvV6c

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to StuartMW

Google Glass Critics 'Afraid of Change,' Society Will Adapt

»www.xconomy.com/boston/2013/04/2···l-adapt/ from »tech.slashdot.org/story/13/04/26···ll-adapt

Expand your moderator at work

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

2 recommendations

Re:  

That's fun to watch how phrases used by those, who want to fool public in order to get new profits for them, are changing. Before it was "paranoid" or "tinfoil hat" (or even "what're you trying to hide?") for everyone, who resisted to be tracked down. Now it's more like "you're afraid of change"... The latter is more and more becoming spread by big corporations, like m$, pushing its W8 inferior, phone-based UI on desktop users, and now by Google, pushing its new way of spying on people. Yeah we all afraid of change, if you want us to become a dumb tool for your profiteering...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

said by OZO:

That's fun to watch how phrases used by those, who want to fool public in order to get new profits for them, are changing. Before it was "paranoid" or "tinfoil hat" (or even "what're you trying to hide?") for everyone, who resisted to be tracked down. Now it's more like "you're afraid of change"... The latter is more and more becoming spread by big corporations, ... Yeah we all afraid of change, if you want us to become a dumb tool for your profiteering...

If some outfit has to fervently convince me why I should buy into something they've just come up with, or if they have to ridicule my sometimes natural resistance to it, then the product is not riding on its self-evident merits... it's riding on hype and pressure. At that point, I will seriously question what is actually going on, and dig in even harder in resisting it. There are a lot of not-so-good things in life that exist (or even thrive) simply because of the social pressure applied to folks to adopt them by those with vested interests in pushing them.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to OZO

Yup your exactly right OZO!!

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
reply to Blackbird

Marketing - making you want something you wouldn't otherwise have a need for.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

2 recommendations

reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird:

There are a lot of not-so-good things in life that exist (or even thrive) simply because of the social pressure applied to folks to adopt them by those with vested interests in pushing them.

And, the sheep that are so desperate to be noticed, and accepted. Free will, and critical thinking are discouraged by the status quo.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to StuartMW

The only reason governments are afraid of glass has nothing to do with your privacy, And everything to do with them not wanted to get recorded with their pants down. Already Youtube has plenty of videos of congress critters saying shit they should not when they think nobody is taping.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
reply to Snowy

said by Snowy:

No one has the right to observe, photograph, film or in any other way create or preserve a record of my public space activity without my express prior consent.

And what law or right is this based on as I would believe it is totally baseless, so good luck trying to use it.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB
reply to antdude

Re: Next Media Animation (NMA)'s Video

And in each case these were within a private establishment where they can set rules around entry, use etc of their establishment, totally OK, but these are 'public' areas and as such you can't expect or apply such rules.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

said by Snowy:

No one has the right to observe, photograph, film or in any other way create or preserve a record of my public space activity without my express prior consent.

And what law or right is this based on as I would believe it is totally baseless, so good luck trying to use it.

Blake

That's one of the problems with larger threads.
Jumping in without context can obscure the intended sarcasm.
sar·casm
/särkazm/
Noun
The use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
»www.google.com/search?q=define%3···irefox-a

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

said by Snowy:

said by Link Logger:

said by Snowy:

Blake

That's one of the problems with larger threads.
Jumping in without context can obscure the intended sarcasm.
sar·casm
/särkazm/
Noun
The use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
»www.google.com/search?q=define%3···irefox-a

Sorry then my bad.

Blake
--

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Link Logger

Re: Next Media Animation (NMA)'s Video

said by Link Logger:

And in each case these were within a private establishment where they can set rules around entry, use etc of their establishment, totally OK, but these are 'public' areas and as such you can't expect or apply such rules.

Blake

A clearer definition of 'private establishment' is needed.
If your talking about a private club with access limited to select individuals, sure the club can set it own rules.
If your talking about a privately owned business open to the general public management can only set rules within guidelines that pertain to public safety & the orderly conduct of it's business.
It can enforce a rule that says "No dogs allowed" but it cannot enforce a rule that says "No fat chicks allowed'.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to StuartMW

The latest episode in the ongoing saga: Google Glass: Let the evil commence

said by ZDNet :

Summary: Glass has now been 'jailbroken' with a well-documented exploit. So what can you (or others) do with a hacked headset? Apparently, a whole lot.

I hope that Bob enjoys his new toy.

If this has been mentioned by someone else in this thread; TL;DR
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.