dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Sometwo
join:2008-12-28

Sometwo

How do I bridge Asus N66U router to PK5001Z Modem?

The modem works fine until I bridged it. I followed the instructions on this video:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· YDchv8uc

And then my router isn't able to connect to the internet. I use DHCP and went through the routers wizard to connect the router to the internet after bridging the modem and it isn't working.

The modem is on 192.168.0.1/24 and the router and computers are on 192.168.1./24. Do I have to leave the modem and router running to get a new DHCP lease, because I did it yesterday and it isn't working today when I turned them back on.

I looked on the modem and didn't see any setting to release the IP before I bridged it.

Do I have to clone the modems MAC address on the router?

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943

You have to program the router to use PPOE and put in your username and password. Then reboot modem then router.
Sometwo

Sometwo

I'm pretty sure the modem uses DHCP. The modem works and I didn't enter any username or password in the modem, or see a username or password like it showed in the video.
Sometwo

Sometwo

»qwest.centurylink.com/in ··· ctl.html

Actually the steps are different according to CenturyLink. Is the PPPoE username and password the same one you use to login to the modem?

Should I still disable DHCP in the modem?

Ken1943
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to Sometwo

to Sometwo
When you bridge the modem, everything in the modem is turned off. It sort of becomes 'dumb'.

Your Centurylink account consists of a telephone number, username and password. I don't use there telephone service, but there still is a telephone number.

You have to call support for username/password.
Sometwo

Sometwo

Well that explains why it wasn't working then. Thanks!

BTW should I still disable DHCP on the modem?

Ken1943
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to Sometwo

to Sometwo
Dhcp will be disabled when it's in bridge mode.
Sometwo

Sometwo

One last question...

The CL website says to check this

And you're supposed to choose Transparent Bridge here, but what are the other transparent bridge options? Am I supposed to leave them alone?

The other options seem related to the first image.

mooch
No Booing Allowed
join:2001-11-11
Sunbury, OH

mooch

My CL DSL account is not PPPoE as I never needed to enter a phone number or password when using just my zyxel 660 modem without a wireless router. When I then connected the 660 to my wireless router, I simply set the modem to bridge mode and I had no issues and never dealt with any kind of password for PPPoE. If the OP does not have a PPPoE type of account there won't any kind of password involved. The only thing that really came into play with my setup related to the wireless router initially having the same IP as the modem so I had to change the IP for the wireless router in order for bridge mode to work.
Sometwo

Sometwo

I'll try it but what about those settings in the second image I posted? Do I still need to just click "transparent bridging"?

mooch
No Booing Allowed
Sunbury, OH

mooch

I'm convinced your CL account is NOT PPPoE since you've never entered a password. I'm in the same boat and my wireless router is set up as dynamic IP using DHCP and I have DHCP server enabled.

I would chose either "auto select" or "DHCP" option for "select the ISP protocol"

No offense to Ken1943 but the directions he's given is based on what he's done with his setup and apparently his account is PPPoE.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Sometwo

MVM

to Sometwo
The ATM parameter can be set for auto, and it should work without issue. If you know your VPI/VCI, you can set it there and your modem should sync a little faster.

Just select Transparent Bridging and it should work fine. You can try the one that matches your VPI/VCI and see if it syncs any faster.

mooch
No Booing Allowed
Sunbury, OH

1 edit

mooch to Sometwo

to Sometwo
Sometwo...did you get it to work?
mooch

mooch

said by mooch:

?...Just wondering as I'm thinking about buying this same router.
mooch

mooch

said by mooch:

???
Sometwo

Sometwo

Sorry, yeah I got it working. I followed the instructions on the centurylink site and kept DHCP enabled on the modem, and selected the VPI 8 VCI 35 ATM setting, and this time it worked.

I've had to reboot the modem a few times to fix slow speeds. Not sure why, but it's been good for a few days now.

mooch
No Booing Allowed
Sunbury, OH

mooch

Thanks for mentioning the settings that worked for you, glad to hear you got it going. I just got my Asus N66U from amazon yesterday so I'll be swapping out my old router today.
Sometwo

Sometwo

Yeah I upgraded to the N66U from the Linksys WRT54G and have been happy with it. They add new features in the firmware every once in a while like the ability to tether a 3g phone/device to it so all your computers can use 3g as a backup if the internet goes down.

Just follow the instructions here:
»qwest.centurylink.com/in ··· ctl.html

but don't forget to disable the wireless on the modem.