spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cornf1ake

join:2013-03-16
Guelph, ON

Start client not getting any help from Rogers.

I am having a massive issue with my cable. Let me explain. First off I was with teksavvy for about 7 years on DSL, not one issue. I have started to work from home and the fastest I could get here is 6mbps. So I went cable with them on their 18 mbps package. I bought my cable modem through them it is a docsis 2 modem called the Thomson DCM 425. Nothing but issues. I probably spent about 10 hours or more on the phone with their tech support.

First thing I should tell you is that when the installer came, he some how cut the line in the ground and had to install a raised line so from the poll to the roof of my house. He said someone would come by in the summer to put it underground.

Anyway, I purchased their 18mbps service and get 3 -4 at best. And I also disconnect all the time from their service. In order to stay connected to my works VPN, I have to send a ping -t to the host so the connection does not drop. And at the end of the day I have a minimum 5% loss of pings.

So after my first marathon call teksavvy decides to send a tech to the house. He shows up, goes downstairs, then out to the box. Says it is working but something is wrong outside in the box and he does not have the tool required to resolve it. He will have to log a ticket to have someone come by and fix it. To my knowledge this has never been done.

Weeks pass and still nothing has changed. I call teksavvy and another long call and they decide to send the tech again. I am not home but my daughter said it is the same guy, he tests it and says, you have the internet. My daughter told him it is slow. He blamed my modem and said that if he has to come back he will bill me 70 dollars. I call teksavvy and they say well we can ship you a new modem but it will be 25 dollars. I decide to end my service with teksavvy.

I sign up with start.ca. They ship me a new modem. It is a Thompson DCM475. I signed up with their 35 mbps service. Same speeds as with teksavvy. So new isp, new modem, tried direct connect test right off the modem, mutiple computers, you name it. Called their tech support and spent some time with them and they got everything ready and sent the ticket to Rogers. This time Rogers flat out refuses the ticket. Saying he has a connection...

Here is my speedtest results from tonight, their should be very low load on the network this time of night.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2579343054.png

Is there anything I can do? I still think of the first visit where he said that their is something wrong outside but he didn't have to tool.

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

At least by switching providers you have been able to rule out there was a problem with the provider or how they connect to Rogers but with your actual physical connection. (Start uses a single aggregated connection to rogers while TSI currently (but not for much longer) users individual links to each region).

The slow speeds and 5% ping loss seem to show something is wrong. Have you been able to log into your modem and see your channel strengths?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:22
reply to Cornf1ake

Can you post a direct to modem and using Nexicom.speedtest.net result? Thanks.

gasl

join:2013-02-24
Guelph, ON
reply to Cornf1ake

Well, we have a "Basic DSL Internet" connection with Start Communications. In Guelph, we did not expect to get a faster connection with Bell's line, at least in the area where we live.

The story is this:
1. We had before a Bell DSL connection. Top speed looked like this:
»www.speedtest.net/result/2544397244.png
2. This month we switched to Start Communications. While having both connections, Start's top speed looked like this:
»www.speedtest.net/result/2555283024.png
(a bit lower speed and three times higher ping, with the same server)
3. After Bell service was terminated, Start's top speed started looking like this:
»www.speedtest.net/result/2580708153.png

How do you explain this? It is the same line, right?
The Bell's technician has sabotaged the line, didn't he?

In addition, some of connection's parameters are: Modulation: G.DMT Annex Mode: ANNEX_A. Is this an "ADSL2+" connection?

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Cornf1ake

said by Cornf1ake:

Is there anything I can do?

Yes. Sign up with Rogers Cable Internet service, but do NOT sign a contract. Once you have service with them, they will fix whatever is wrong. Then cancel and switch back to start.ca.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:2

said by mlord:

said by Cornf1ake:

Yes. Sign up with Rogers Cable Internet service, but do NOT sign a contract. Once you have service with them, they will fix whatever is wrong. Then cancel and switch back to start.ca.

That's at least $14.95 (activation fee)+potentially one month of service with Rogers. You might as well just pay the $70 for the tech and save yourself the hassle.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by yyzlhr:

said by mlord:

said by Cornf1ake:

That's at least $14.95 (activation fee)+potentially one month of service with Rogers. You might as well just pay the $70 for the tech and save yourself the hassle.

You could end up with repeated visits at $50 each (I was told its $50 by the last tech that came to my home). With Rogers he could keep complaining and insisting on tech visits til his issue is fixed.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

said by TypeS:

You could end up with repeated visits at $50 each (I was told its $50 by the last tech that came to my home). With Rogers he could keep complaining and insisting on tech visits til his issue is fixed.

Exactly. The one time I had a Rogers guy around to investigate a (Teksavvy) cable internet issue (not at all signal related), he simply verified good signal and left again. But he did tell me that, had I been a Rogers client, he would not have left until everything was working correctly again. Including replacing the modem, fixing the line, whatever, if need be.

Cornf1ake

Guelph, ON
reply to rocca

This is my download on a Sunday night around 8pm.

Right from the Modem, computer rebooted and modem rebooted.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2581189040.png

It looks better but is still way less than half what I am signed up for. And I believe it when others say that Rogers just does not care. They show up, oh you got a signal and leave. They don't care if your slow and dropping. I experience this cause during the week I am losing connection to VPN.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TypeS

said by TypeS:

Rogers told me they charge for technician visits if there is nothing to fix.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Cornf1ake

Can you try the nexicom.speedtest.net site? (looks like you're using Kitchener)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to gasl

It looks like they've moved you to a 'host' connection instead of on the FTTN remote. If you want to PM me your account # I can look at your address, but I suspect this is the case.

Cornf1ake

Guelph, ON
reply to mlord

So we have no recourse against this type of service?

Is there not someone who regulates this? Can I hire a 3rd party repair man who would have legal access to the box outside to get in and fix the issue?

Cornf1ake

Guelph, ON
reply to rocca

Modem is in my sons room in the lower level, will have to do it tomorrow after work. I will send you the account info. Thanks for helping.

dude34221

join:2002-06-13
Athens, OH

what are modem signal levels?
also, please go to »ndt.anl.gov:7123/ and do test. click stats button and post the results here. edit our your ip at the bottom of the test if desired.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

IMHO, that link above is incredibly out of date and appears to be essentially abandoned for almost 10 years. My connection which I have no problems with reports 4Mbps outbound to that site, and the inbound test never completes.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Cornf1ake

said by Cornf1ake:

This is my download on a Sunday night around 8pm.
Right from the Modem, computer rebooted and modem rebooted.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2581189040.png

Running Speedtest during Peak Time is going to give you lower numbers than what your connection is capable of. Stick to your earlier 3am timeslot for better indications.

But things do look much better even in your Peak Time results. I'd say your line is probably configured correctly now, and you should see higher download from a less busy period of the day. The speedtest servers do seem a tad slower this week, so that, and perhaps some Peak Time congestion, are giving the smaller numbers.