spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Seena85

join:2013-03-03

[Internet] Howto: Sagemcom F@ST 2864 remotely reboot via Curl

As many others in this forum I also encounter transient downtimes or complete modem crashes when I put my Fibe 15/10 under heavy load. I don't know exactly why, but this is pretty annoying.

I figured out a way to remotely reboot the modem (Sagemcom F@St 2864) vie curl:
curl --user admin:admin -d "action=submit&page=resets&factory_reset=reboot" 192.168.2.1

Curl is available for all mayor OS, AFAIK. One could of course also use "wget" or any other software witch the ability to launch POST-requests. The Ip is the Ip address of the modem where you have access to the administration website. The firmware which is currently running on my modem is "FAST2864_v6740S".

If you are using a router which does the PPPOE connection, then you may be able to get access to the modem anyways. For DD-WRT this is explained here.

Now you can incorporate this command in some shell or batch scripts or simply use it to remotely reboot the modem manually. Enjoy!

uh2007

join:2013-04-08

Re: [Internet] Howto: Sagemcom F@ST 2864 remotely reboot via Cur

Hello,

What is the internal ip address you use to connect to your modem from the internet?, because when I use 192.168.2.1 in port-forwarding it does not accept it.

Thanks for your help

Seena85

I dont connect to the modem from the internet, I connect from inside the network. If your internet connection is not working you can't connect from outside, thats why you may use this code to reset from inside.

christiandpc

join:2013-03-04
Montreal, QC

I just pull the power out since the modems (at home and at work) are easy to reach. I suppose this could be useful for scheduled reboots but I already tried a hardware timer powering off for 5 minutes before coming back on early in the morning and it didn't prevent the connection from cutting.

Apparently the cause of the issues is noise. When the technician came he showed me the SNR on the line and it was borderline too low. I don't know why this causes the modem to behave the way it does (no actual disconnect from Bell, ping works but the rest of the internet doesn't), I would have expected it to just cause a bit of packet-loss when there's too much noise and not enough signal. Lowering the upload speed helps, with the upload reduced from 7 to 4 Mbps the problem is mostly gone. I leave some streaming music on since it will stop if the connection goes down and whereas before it could go down multiple times in a day leading to many complaints, now, other than delays of a few seconds loading webpages from time to time it only goes down once a week now and people don't even notice.

At home I only have the issue once every 2 weeks or so and while it's annoying when it cuts when you just confirmed an online order (the order went through fine) it's not frequent enough to be really infuriating and that's with the 15/10 plan. It could become an issue if I ever get disconnected while playing a game but for the time being I don't want to risk raising my ping (at work the ping is worse at 25/4 than it was with the old modem at 12/0.8)

One of my sisters has Fibe as well but she's in a new condo so the fiber goes all the way so she doesn't have any problems.

So the solution is to buy a new home that is set up for fiber to the home

Seena85

I made a script which checks the connection every 5 minutes (curl request to google) and if it fails it will reset the modem. Now interestingly, if my connection is completely cut off (like wireless not reachable, modem down or anything) the curl requests will fail immediately. However, in that kinda disconnect state from Bell occurs curl gets "transiently not available" so the curl request will actually never fail. This is why, I set a limit to the curl request of 30min.

curl --silent --show-error --max-time 3 --retry 9 --retry-max-time 600 --head www.google.ca >/dev/null

I monitored my connections and there is transient disconnects happening all the time, often for several minutes and sometimes for longer. Often they resolve themselves after 30 to 90 minutes. Even more interesting, if I don't have any load on the connection it works well, however if I do heave downloading like torrents it fails all the time, which means several times a day.

So in conclusion I believe Bell is doing some traffic shaping, because its clearly not the modem which hangs, but something at the Bell side they do.

Jupiter6

join:2013-04-20
Brampton, ON

said by Seena85:

So in conclusion I believe Bell is doing some traffic shaping, because its clearly not the modem which hangs, but something at the Bell side they do.

I agree completely. If the modem is hanging, we shouldn't be able to get a ping out. And I would expect the status LEDs on the modem to change. For this reason I'm dubious about whether playing with the line profile is the real solution.

My new Fibe 15/10 keeps disconnecting. Ping works, nothing else does. Sometimes it happens during heavy data transfers, but not all the time. For me, the connection always comes back up by itself in about 2-10 minutes, so resetting the modem automatically as you're doing wouldn't do me any good. It takes the modem that long just to boot and sync up. My previous ADSL modem was rock-solid.

I used the Bell Canada "Direct" forum last week, and the technician said that he tweaked my line profile. Everything seemed better for a few days, but it's now disconnecting very frequently again. I added on to that thread this morning, to let him know that things don't really seem to be better after all.

Oh, by the way: I'm new here, although I've lurked in these forums for many years. This forum is a really great resource, and I would like to take a moment to thank those who look after it.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to Seena85

Ask the Direct forum to place your service on a "FibeTV" profile with the same speed that you are signed up for now...this is a known issue and the temp fix is placing the service on a FibeTV profile.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

Jupiter6

join:2013-04-20
Brampton, ON

That's nice and all, but...

(1) if it is a known fix, wouldn't he have just done that when he fixed my line a few days ago? I could ask him to do that, but it would be like telling my doctor what to prescribe me when I have a sore throat. Sometimes you gotta let the experts be experts.

(2) Do you have any insight into why the "FibeTV" profile fixes the problem? As I gather, the line profile sets speed limits for the line based on what it is capable of delivering. This is to prevent me from reaching speeds that are so full of errors that the modem gives up and loses sync. But AFAIK my modem is not losing sync, otherwise I wouldn't be able to ping a remote host. So ... how does any profile change fix this?

I don't profess to be a genius in these matters, and I am certainly not arguing, but since there is a problem that is affecting me, I would just like to understand.

Meanwhile, today the tech said he saw another issue and fixed it.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

I like your questions and I will answer them with this information. About 3 weeks ago I gathered the information about 3 separate customers and gave them to my support person...3 good examples of the same problem that you and others are experiencing. That is all I can do...I cannot do the trouble shooting myself because I don't have access to the tools. "Sometimes you gotta let the experts be experts". However I cannot sit back and allow customers to go through this kind of frequent outage if I know there is something right now that can "fix" the problem while the experts are doing their work.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.