spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

carcam

@dslextreme.com

Possible to buy or build a cam for the car for surveillance?

Hi,

I'm looking to install a camera in my car that would run on battery, record on a memory card for a long time, and be capable of recording at night. Quality enough to record action and face. Each day I would recharge and replace the memory card.

Is this possible?

The reason for this is because some jerk or jerkess has been vandalizing my car especially around the rear, I have no idea who it is and I have no witnesses. I need some proof to take the person to court to end this. Police solution for me is to move, but no, I cannot.

I checked out some car cameras online but they are dash cams, don't really record that long, and the car needs to be running for it to work.

Anyone know of a solution that can do what I'm looking for? Perhaps one of you were in the same situation as me?

Appreciate any help, thanks!

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
why not a DVR set up in your residence with some cameras pointed at the car? seems much easier and more reliable. plus cheaper, and it won't kill your car battery.

..........or i guess you could rent a garage from someone.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to carcam
Perhaps one of the cheap backup cameras? Not sure how to record with one tho.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to carcam
I've seen many Russian videos of car dash cams that record while the car is off and parked, so what you are looking for does exist, but I'm not quite sure where to get one.

These cameras typically record in a loop, discarding old video as the memory fills up to make room for new video.

My advice would be to go ask a Russian. They practically all have dash cams in that country, due to insurance fraud.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to carcam
Unless it's a reasonably well lit area, night time recording is difficult since dash cams in general don't come with IR LEDs. And if they do, the LEDs would most likely to be visible to those looking into them.

As it was already suggested, why not set up a camera from elsewhere? Alternatively, there are silent alarms that can notify you when your car is disturbed.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
reply to beck
said by beck:

Perhaps one of the cheap backup cameras? Not sure how to record with one tho.

i have a top of the line kenwood unit in my truck, and i don't think it would do any good for recording purposes. they are super wide angle, and wouldn't get enough detail unless the person was looking directly into it from like 6 inches away.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

reply to carcam
You could consider a trail cam. They have night vision and record either still shots or video on a memory card. Possibly strap it to a headrest for installation. The ones I bought from Sam's have night vision but you don't see any light coming from them.

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
said by robbin:

You could consider a trail cam. They have night vision and record either still shots or video on a memory card. Possibly strap it to a headrest for installation. The ones I bought from Sam's have night vision but you don't see any light coming from them.

awesome idea---i have 2 and that never crossed my mind LOL

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
I'm somewhat surprised that trail cams would come with night vision, but why not. However, one function I'd also want is the ability to make a very low fps video, or making periodic pictures, like one every couple of second or so instead of a video.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
said by aurgathor:

I'm somewhat surprised that trail cams would come with night vision, but why not. However, one function I'd also want is the ability to make a very low fps video, or making periodic pictures, like one every couple of second or so instead of a video.

a lot of game is nocturnal---whitetail deer for one.

there are newer ones that when they sense motion, they snap a pic AND take a video. no flash either---just IR led's. some, if not most, are visible IR though..........

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
This one from Walmart is similar to the ones I have except it has higher resolution. The no-glo technology works. You don't see anything even if looking directly at the camera. This one even has a time lapse mode.

»www.walmart.com/ip/Stealth-Cam-U···ications

carcam

@dslextreme.com
reply to carcam
I should have noted that the car is parked in a carport, I cannot see the car from my home. The camera needs to be positioned from inside the car unfortunately.

I'll search some Russian websites to see what they offer.

I have no idea what trail cams are, I'll look into that as well.

Thanks for the tips.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

1 edit
Check the Walmart link I posted.

Basically a trail camera is designed to photograph wildlife using a trail. Hunters use them, but so do others like myself who just want to know what kind of wildlife they have on their property. The camera is a water resistant, self contained unit that triggers based on motion detection. There are different settings so you can take only a few pics or a lot or a video. For instance, when my cameras trip there are a total of six pics taken about two seconds apart and then it rests for a minute (so the batteries don't get drained by a deer or some such grazing and just staying in front of the camera for hours). The cameras are designed to go for weeks or months without any input by the user (mine use eight aa batteries). Typically everything is date and time stamped. The case usually has a nylon strap for securing the camera to a tree trunk. Most of them have ir illumination built in for night photography although admittedly that is always of a lower quality than daytime but still quite usable.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to carcam
said by carcam :

The camera needs to be positioned from inside the car unfortunately.

Can't you mount it under the roof of the carport in one of the corners?
--
Wacky Races 2012!

carcam

@dslextreme.com
reply to robbin
quote:
Check the Walmart link I posted.

Basically a trail camera is designed to photograph wildlife using a trail. Hunters use them, but so do others like myself who just want to know what kind of wildlife they have on their property. The camera is a water resistant, self contained unit that triggers based on motion detection. There are different settings so you can take only a few pics or a lot or a video. For instance, when my cameras trip there are a total of six pics taken about two seconds apart and then it rests for a minute (so the batteries don't get drained by a deer or some such grazing and just staying in front of the camera for hours). The cameras are designed to go for weeks or months without any input by the user (mine use eight aa batteries). Typically everything is date and time stamped. The case usually has a nylon strap for securing the camera to a tree trunk. Most of them have ir illumination built in for night photography although admittedly that is always of a lower quality than daytime but still quite usable.
Thanks for the info and suggestion. A trail cam seems to be my best option. Do you know if the motion detection for trail cams work through glass or does it depend on the make/model?

carcam

@dslextreme.com
reply to aurgathor
quote:
That's a good idea, but I'm sure it will be noticed and stolen. Or HOA whining about it.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by carcam :

quote:
That's a good idea, but I'm sure it will be noticed and stolen. Or HOA whining about it.

Not permanently. Putting it up before you go to bed, removing it early in the morning. (I'm assuming that the car gets vandalized overnight)

I kinda doubt that the motion detector would function while behind a thick piece of the glass, but as long as you can set the camera to snap pictures periodically and power it from the battery, it should be able to work overnight.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to carcam
said by carcam :

Do you know if the motion detection for trail cams work through glass or does it depend on the make/model?

i'm not sure but there is another problem. It appears that at least some glass blocks the light from the IR emitters and you just get a white pic as the light is reflected by the glass back to the camera.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to robbin
Infrared illumination and motion detection is quite difficult through typical auto glass. Trail cam on a nearby tree is the most practical solution.

Technically, this can be done from inside the car using complex image analysis software and very expensive low-light cameras. But it will be obvious and could cost more than my car.

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
Stockholm, NJ
reply to carcam
fasten the trail cam to the ceiling of the carport aimed down at an angle. no one says it has to be perfectly level, as long as it can get a pic of said scumbag.

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19
reply to carcam
said by carcam :
Disguise it as something else that doesn't block operation.. Bird house, what ever.

The art of disguise with these HOA Nazis is your best weapon. Works for all kinds of things.
--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell
reply to carcam
If the camera will be inside the vehicle you will need one that is usable in extremely low light levels without any IR illumination because those cameras with their own infrared illumination just create glare that is reflected back from the glass and makes the image useless. They can't be used at night behind any glass. Hopefully your parking area has some kind of lighting at night so you don't have to deal with capturing video in near darkness. The only cameras available (outside of NASA labs) with that kind of low light sensitivity will be black&white, not color, but they provide a very nice image with as little as one nearby lightbulb.

Many security cameras can be ordered with a choice of lenses for different purposes. I suggest a modestly wide angle or at least 90 degree field and the ability to focus close, within 1-3 feet. You will need to adjust the focus when setting up the camera to get the sharpest image right outside your vehicle even if objects several feet away are out of focus.

Security digital recorders analyze the video signal to detect motion, they don't use an infrared or other kind of discrete motion detecting device to trigger recording. As such they work as long as the camera picks up an image and something is moving in the image. Sensitivity is usually adjustable in one or more ways.

Good ones also let you block out parts of the video that you don't want triggering recording when there is motion. That would be for example a camera covering a driveway where there is a street in the distance, and you don't want the cars travelling on the street to constantly trigger your recorder, so you aim the camera to avoid as much of the street as possible and use the blocking feature to block out motion detection on the part of the image that covers the street.

There are some fairly good digital recorders that run on battery (or your car's cig lighter) and record to an SD card. Obtain one of those and your choice of camera and set it up facing whatever direction you think will best cover the next vandalism.

Depending on your layout and your immediate neighbors another possibility is putting a camera with zoom lens and a recorder at a neighbor's place where it has good visual access to your parking area. Then you have AC power available and since the camera is not at the vandalism location it's much less likely to be tampered with.

I suggest checking at Super Circuits. Look in the mobile and portable recorders category.
Expand your moderator at work