Re: Firewalls

Thanks

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 edit
reply to MSE_fan1

> Binisoft Firewall is based Win7 firewall

It is essentially a GUI front-end to the Windows Firewall.
It does not provide firewall "services", it only makes it easier to do something more with you have already been given. There is nothing that it does that you cannot do yourself with Windows provided facilities - albeit with greater difficulty.

> all outbound requests are DENIED first

Actually I believe that it defaults to inbound only, but in any case...

> and you will get an alert

Again that is with the pay version.
The free does not alert, but if you know that an application is looking for access, you are provided means to allow it.

> Is very slow

Uses .NET 4 (I'm pretty sure it was, yes!) & the GUI itself had been lethargic, in particular its first opening, but has improved over time.

> and not recommended for both inbound and outbound;
> in other words you have to use Win 7 firewall for inbound and > Binisoft firewall for outbound

Again Binisoft is nothing but a front-end. You are using Windows Firewall entirely.

Wilders: Windows Firewall Control

Edit: confirmed need for .NET 4

MSE_fan

join:2013-03-29

Hi,

This is the way Binisoft Firewall works: deny all Outbound and alert you; I have paid version which I scrapped it after 1 week;
The firewall will not intercept an outbound request but rather will deny it and will generate an alert.

Why bother when PC Tools Firewall plus works like a firewall, looks like a firewall.....

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

2 edits

said by MSE_fan:

The firewall will not intercept an outbound request but rather will deny it and will generate an alert.

And you don't consider denying a transmission to be intercepting it? That's one of the methods I use to block outbound transmissions on my hardware firewall.

said by MSE_fan:

Why bother when PC Tools Firewall plus works like a firewall, looks like a firewall.....

We've already established it "works like a firewall" so what's "looks like a firewall" got to do with it? That's subjective at best. Yours doesn't look anything like mine and the one on my PC and laptop doesn't even have a GUI.

Like therube pointed out, what you're looking at with Binisoft Firewall is a frontend to the Windows Firewall.

MSE_fan

join:2013-03-29

"And you don't consider denying a transmission to be intercepting it?"

No, denying a transmission is not the same with intercepting it, wait for user decision and proceed accordingly.

All Win7 firewall "notifiers" are based on this idea, but a real firewall will work differently.

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

said by MSE_fan:

"And you don't consider denying a transmission to be intercepting it?"

No, denying a transmission is not the same with intercepting it, wait for user decision and proceed accordingly.

All Win7 firewall "notifiers" are based on this idea, but a real firewall will work differently.

Oh, so the OpenBSD pf firewall isn't a "real" firewall but this Windows based software firewall you're extolling is?

quote:
Default Deny

The recommended practice when setting up a firewall is to take a "default deny" approach. That is, to deny everything and then selectively allow certain traffic through the firewall. This approach is recommended because it errs on the side of caution and also makes writing a ruleset easier.

»www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/filter.html#defdeny

What would you suggest? That I switch my hardware firewall from pfSense, wipe my HD's of FreeBSD and the pf firewall, and install Windows and this software firewall that isn't even supported in their place so I can use a "real" firewall?