how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robert
Premium
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

[Rant] Was Suppose to have a 3 day weekend....

It appears that it is evolving into a 0 day weekend...
being a grownup sucks

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
What?

bitchtorn

join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Robert
I like turtles!

Robert
Premium
St John'S, NL
reply to mr weather
said by mr weather:

What?

got called in for mandated OT

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
reply to Robert
said by Robert:

being a grownup sucks

but isn't collecting overtime awesome?

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
there are still people out there that consider time home with your family as being more valuable than the extra $ from paid OT (assuming his mandatory OT is paid).

Robert
Premium
St John'S, NL
said by Bender2000:

there are still people out there that consider time home with your family as being more valuable than the extra $ from paid OT (assuming his mandatory OT is paid).

It is paid and that is important considering looming layoffs come budget time. However I have working really hard for the past 4 months. I was looking forward to spending time with the family.
--
It's one thing to listen to an idiot talk. As soon as you respond, there are now 2 idiots having a conversation.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to Robert
I don't blame you for being upset... Family time is very important and it is hard to equate it to a monetary value...

Hoping this all works out to your benefit...

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
reply to Robert
sadly, it is becoming more and more of a trend that you will be a target for layoff if you don't tow the company line and do OT...layoff = less people to do the job = more OT for the people left. If you don't do the OT = at risk of losing job...it really is a sad occurance nowadays and it really boils down to taking advantage of the employee...I'd be upset too, don't blame you, especially since you're already working a lot.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Bender2000:

.it really is a sad occurance nowadays and it really boils down to taking advantage of the employee...

... taking advantage of the employee!? To pay them more!?

I guess as you get further to the east people want to work less and earn less, but around these parts people clamor at the possibility of collecting overtime. It's like the holy grail of employment, especially in these times.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to Bender2000
said by Bender2000:

If you don't do the OT = at risk of losing job...it really is a sad occurance nowadays and it really boils down to taking advantage of the employee...I'd be upset too, don't blame you, especially since you're already working a lot.

The problem is (from the Management side) is that it's not always possible to schedule work that there is no OT. In a perfect world I should be able to say to a customer 'hey, sorry, three people need a rush job this week/month and you were last'. It doesn't work that way though, and to turn away / push out too many jobs may mean no new work (as a supplier you get a rep for being unreliable).

Of the guys that work for me, most understand that. I've got one that will do it if I really need it (that bugs me a little, but it would never cause me to fire him). I've got one that I can't lately seem to even get 40-hrs out of him (he's borderline at the moment). The moment he doesn't show it just screws everyone else up. If I were his coworker he'd piss me off a lot as he blows off 12 hours when we're busy and someone else has to make it up.

On that note, at least you're getting PAID for your OT. I don't where I am at the moment (and my solution may be to look elsewhere eventually as I really do want a life). I know those that are paid hourly don't get it sometimes but it's the salaried employees that tend to get screwed over more often on hours. It's expected that you do more than 40 hours (if you're a clock watcher you rarely progress). My hourly rate effectively goes down when I work longer hours, as opposed to someone hourly on OT who goes to 1.5x.

Robert
Premium
St John'S, NL
reply to urbanriot
I know too many people like you. Work work work, take no time to stop and smell the roses. You'll regret it on your death bed. You'll deny it now and say you love going non stop, but you will regret it.

At the end of the day, I have a comfortable lifestyle, an awesome family, great friends, & overall a great job. Why add stress by punching double duty every single day and every weekend? If you can't enjoy what is all around you, what's the point?
--
It's one thing to listen to an idiot talk. As soon as you respond, there are now 2 idiots having a conversation.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Robert:

I know too many people like you. Work work work, take no time to stop and smell the roses.

Well, in between working and diving in the Maldives at the start of this month, it's true I haven't had any time to stop and smell the roses. I'm surprised you know so many people like me, I haven't had many conversations with people who have had similar adventures.

said by Robert:

You'll regret it on your death bed. You'll deny it now and say you love going non stop, but you will regret it.

If I get to my death bed with only that regret, then I'll count myself fortunate that in so many years my only regret was not smelling a rose. So far my only regret is not buying a proper camera before going to Socotra in Yemen. I have a feeling I'll regret more of what I've forgotten than what I haven't done...

said by Robert:

At the end of the day, I have a comfortable lifestyle, an awesome family, great friends, & overall a great job. Why add stress by punching double duty every single day and every weekend? If you can't enjoy what is all around you, what's the point?

Well then you're fortunate and doing much better than many people, as I don't know anyone in my area that wouldn't be excited over the prospect of overtime pay. If anything, people in this province seem to be bitching more about cut hours than they are about having too many hours.

Do you not have coworkers that would jump at the chance to pick up your shifts?

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Robert
said by Robert:

I know too many people like you. Work work work, take no time to stop and smell the roses. You'll regret it on your death bed. You'll deny it now and say you love going non stop, but you will regret it.

In my profession, I have no choice.
It is work, work, work or be unemployed.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
I guess I'm lucky that overtime is quite rare for me. I put in my time and get to have dinner with my family everyday.

lawrence171
Evilly Yours - Evilness

join:2001-12-24
Canada
reply to bjlockie
What is this profession?

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
I find that family time is VERY important. While I've done OT when needed, in some cases it was unpaid but I couldn't complain or I would have lost my opportunity to get a permanent position (didn't get it anyway lol) or in another industry where you're expected to work 7 days a week when in the field, 10-16hrs a day, you're paid the same per-diem for all 7 days, I'll be more likely to choose time off as long as it doesn't put my employer/coworkers in a spot.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

Robert
Premium
St John'S, NL
reply to bjlockie
said by bjlockie:

In my profession, I have no choice.
It is work, work, work or be unemployed.

I am in the same boat, hence the rant.

And no, no one can pick up "my" shift when it is the whole department busting their balls for months, hence the rant.

Alas, it is Tuesday: start of a new week.
--

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to Robert
Yeah... life must be different down around the big smoke... Things are very different out this way.... 15 people in my office. No such thing as overtime wages - we're all working on Salary - and 99% of the time we all work 35 hours a week or less. Once in a great while a big project comes up that we stay a few hours late - maybe once every 2-3 months. We all do it happily as we know the rest of the time no one "checks the clock" when we come or go. No one would ever think of asking for extra $ for working some overtime... I came in once on a weekend - the boss insisted I take a 3 day weekend the next week to make up for the personal time I had lost at the office. We're supposed to get "5 sick, 5 personal and 10 vacation" days per year - but for the most part our vacation days are never actually used -- if I take an extra day to make Easter a 4 day weekend - no one's going to mark it down. the only "vacation" time I'll use is when I'm gone for a week to Comic Con in July... I took 4 sick days last year - they weren't recorded. I took 3 "it's snowing too hard to safely drive to work" days this winter - no one cared.

I love the fact that my employer values my family and my time and my safety and lets me decide the appropriate courses of action to take. Same for everyone here - and none of us suffer - 1 co-worker just got back from 2 weeks of hiking in Thailand, I spent a week in Maui and will be spending a week at Comic Con this year, my boss is off for 2 weeks to Spain and Portugal in May, my other co-worker has had to travel for us for work to Scotland and Italy for 5 weeks this winter, the company paid for his wife and 6 month old infant to accompany him and gave him a week of holidays at each location "on the house>

Why can't all employers be like this?!?!?!? Oh wait.. because of people who want all the overtime and are all about extra $, $, $... screw that! [Oh it doesn't hurt that in most rural areas around here (close to my office), $300k will buy an almost new 3000 square foot house on 2 acres here either... so no one is house poor].

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to Robert
said by Robert:

Exactly... I don't think too many on their deathbed think...
"I wish I would have spent a bit more time in the office"...

It's more like "I wish I would have spent more time with my family..."

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Bender2000:

.it really is a sad occurance nowadays and it really boils down to taking advantage of the employee...

... taking advantage of the employee!? To pay them more!?

I guess as you get further to the east people want to work less and earn less, but around these parts people clamor at the possibility of collecting overtime. It's like the holy grail of employment, especially in these times.

I do not personally know anyone who thinks like that, aside from here it seems.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.