weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

1 recommendation

It is almost time to fire up my new build...

About 10 days ago I was claiming how my old i7-960 build was able to perform any task I threw at it. The urge to build a new rig ate at me, and my wallet was on fire. Here is what I ended up with:

Corsair 600T [white] case
Corsair HX850 power supply
Asus P8Z77-V PRO motherboard
Intel i7-3770k
Corsair H70 cooler
32GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM
MSI 7950's (3GB) in Crossfire
Intel-520 240GB SSD's in RAID0
WD Black 2TB

I could have went leaner on parts, and done everything I needed. However, this is what I wanted. Plus, I wanted to ensure this build is future proofed well into next month

I have some cable management to finish up, and copy my existing 2TB RAID5 (500GB used). Then I want to toss the drives in the new build and convert it to 1TB RAID1 with a spare.

EDIT: The only part I'm not 100% sure about is setting up the CF bridges. I've ran my 5870's with 1 bridge and 2, and never noticed a difference. I put two on this setup, because I'll never use a 3rd card for multiple reasons.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Congrats!!! Make sure to post pictures!

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to weaseled386

I've ran into a few snags, but I'm typing from it right now. Getting used to the new BIOS is strange, and this thing is BLAZING fast.

1) At first it didn't accept my RAM. I was one BIOS revision behind, and downloaded it from my laptop. I tossed a 2GB stick from my other rig in, and updated. After the update I'm seeing all 32GB.

2) It wasn't playing nice with my 7950's. I did all the Win7 updates using the integrated graphics, and then swapped over to the CF setup.

3) I'm used to seeing the "Press CTRL-I" message at startup. I mashed it during POST, and went right into the RAID screen. For some reason Intel Rapid Storage Tech doesn't want to run.

I'm downloading SWTOR and Crysis3 now... I know all about Star Wars, but I've never played any of the Crysis games. I hear they test even the best systems tho?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to weaseled386

said by weaseled386:

Corsair 600T [white] case
Asus P8Z77-V PRO motherboard
Intel i7-3770k
Corsair H70 cooler
32GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM
MSI 7950's (3GB) in Crossfire
Intel-520 240GB SSD's in RAID0
WD Black 2TB

Very similar to mine except no RAID and a GTX680. Yes, it's fast.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to weaseled386

Looks pretty similar to what I'm considering. I have an off-beat question - what OS are you running?
--
At least we're #1 in something: »goldensnowglobe.com/current-top-···-cities/

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

said by kingdome74:

Looks pretty similar to what I'm considering. I have an off-beat question - what OS are you running?

Win7 Ultimate. I had to work all day, and just sat down to play a little more. I thought about Win8, but just can't bring myself to it... I'm rebuilding my old rig, and will most-likely install it on that one.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I was wondering how 8 played with drivers. I can't see myself switching to 8. There's no real compelling reason to in my world anyway.
--

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

For me, it's been about the same as 7 with drivers. My 11+ year old scanner works fine using Vista drivers. The only quirk is with my sound card (X-Fi Titanium); whenever I reboot, I have to open the Creative audio control panel and toggle the mode back and forth before it'll output sound. Yay for shitty Creative drivers!
--
KI6RIT

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

said by n_w95482:

For me, it's been about the same as 7 with drivers. My 11+ year old scanner works fine using Vista drivers. The only quirk is with my sound card (X-Fi Titanium); whenever I reboot, I have to open the Creative audio control panel and toggle the mode back and forth before it'll output sound. Yay for shitty Creative drivers!

lol! I haven't used a sound card in ages. In my right ear I'm 90% deaf, and have a constant ringing. On the bright side I barely hear it when my fans ramp up during games

I had to move my drives around. My 1TB Seagates barely get warm on long transfers. I've been using them in RAID -- swapped between 1 and 5 a couple times -- for 2-3 years now. The 2TB WD Black COOKS. It was hot enough where I didn't want to keep my finger on it very long. I repositioned it so the front 200mm fan blows across it.

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits
reply to weaseled386

ISSUE?

A friend keeps bugging me for 3DMark11 results. Two days ago I ran it with everything at stock clocks, and scored a P13979. Today I run it with a moderate video card OC and get P13918!

»www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6209050
»www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6219780

1) I wonder why it only lists my processor at 1,608MHz?

2) On Graphics Test #1 my screen bugs out. It seems as if the test is still going on in the background, because in the detailed results I score 75.xx FPS! Sorry if Flickr sucks, but didn't know where else to upload for public viewing.

»flic.kr/p/e4p1tc

EDIT:

I broke the cards out of crossfire and scored P9173. This time it listed my CPU @ 4,099MHz, but the issue with Graphics Test #1 remains

»www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6220555

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
reply to weaseled386

I registered my copy of 3DMark11, and the lines do not appear in other resolutions.

Is Flickr a decent pic upload site? I just snapped a ton of pictures, and I'll toss some links in later tonight.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to weaseled386

Flicker is websensed for me. Just embed them right into your post.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to weaseled386

Just upload them here in .jpeg or .gif etc, just not .bmp

You really only need a file share upload site for high quality images and I doubt scorecards need .bmp.

Utilize the Preview/Attach button
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to weaseled386

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to weaseled386

You even labeled your drives. I'm very impressed. They are always so pretty when they are first built, aren't they?

Nice rig man. Congrats.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to weaseled386

Very nice and clean!

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to weaseled386

Thanks However, believe me when I say you don't want to open the door on the back side of the case!

I ran some HD/SSD benchmarks using CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 x64, and got:

Intel 520-series 240GB in RAID0: (Intel SATA3 ports)
Seq read 922.8 MB/sec
Seq write 528.1 MB/sec

Seagate 7200.12's in 1TB RAID1: (Intel SATA2 ports)
Seq read 113.3 MB/sec
Seq write 109.5 MB/sec

Western Digital Black 2TB: (Asmedia SATA3 ports)
Seq read 138.1 MB/sec
Seq write 134.6 MB/sec

Do the numbers on the WD look right? I'd imagine a brand new WD to run circles around the ancient Seagates.

The only other one I ran was PassMark, and ended up with:

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to weaseled386

said by weaseled386:

ISSUE?

A friend keeps bugging me for 3DMark11 results. Two days ago I ran it with everything at stock clocks, and scored a P13979. Today I run it with a moderate video card OC and get P13918!

Um WUT, you OC'ed and scored lower?
--
»www.change.org/petitions/create-···imcity-4

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

said by DarkLogix:

said by weaseled386:

ISSUE?

Um WUT, you OC'ed and scored lower?

Yeah, but all I did was up the GPU and VRAM clocks... I didn't mess with power. It'll be a while before I sit down and spend time on trying to OC anything. To be honest, I'm not sure OC'ing any part of this rig would be noticeable at this point.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

When the day comes that I build my next rig I want to find a place that will custom build the case the way I want.

I'm thinking that urge is eating at me too, you know any place that can make a custom case? (I'm talking a case that can take a quad 120 radiator, about 15 5.25 bays, and some other things.)
--

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

said by DarkLogix:

When the day comes that I build my next rig I want to find a place that will custom build the case the way I want.

I'm thinking that urge is eating at me too, you know any place that can make a custom case? (I'm talking a case that can take a quad 120 radiator, about 15 5.25 bays, and some other things.)

Sadly, no. It is smart to start looking now though, or you'll make hasty decisions! What in the heck would you do with fifteen 5.25" bays?! All I wanted was 1!

a2nxtcrav3r
Pokes People With Stick
Premium
join:2003-07-13
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

you should check out caselabs

I modded mine. To take 10 bays on each side so 20 bays total
Right now their cases mostly use 3x120

»www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt···t=158816

But their top baller case has 18 drive bays on both sides and can take penta 120s
--
hmmmmmm....

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to weaseled386

The WD Black throughput looks about right (depends on the exact model). Mechanical drive capacities have always increased much more quickly than performance improvements with them. It'll probably be a good bit faster than the Seagates in random I/O though.

I replaced a 750 GB Seagate (I think it was a 7200.12) with a 1 TB WD Black (this one) in a client's PC last week. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think random I/O was about 20-40% higher than the Seagate. Write speeds were off though, the SATA cable was a bit iffy.
--
KI6RIT

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to weaseled386

Cool, looks very clean.

Edit: Tried looking at the actual pictures and for me they time out, halving the image size might have helped by shrinking them 50%.

This site does have some restrictions regarding images.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to weaseled386

Very nice. It looks like there would be a lot of head room above the mobo to install a H110 radiator and fans.
--

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to weaseled386

Last night I started cleaning out my old system. Not only did I pull all the parts out of it, but I had to dismantle the case. I can't believe how dirty I allowed it to get! My fault for setting a case with high airflow on the ground, under a desk, in a house with a dog. It'll have:

Corsair 600T [gray] case
Asus P6X58D-Premium motherboard
Intel i7-960 CPU
Corsair H70 cooler with Noctua fans
12GB of Patriot Viper II Sector 7 RAM (6x2GB)
ATI HD5870 (1GB) reference with Accelero Extreme cooler
Intel-520 120GB SSD
WD VelociRaptor 300GB in RAID0

I previously had two reference HD5870's in CF, but a fan went out 12-18 months ago. That's when I picked up the Accelero Extreme cooler, and opted to run it solo. The temps really didn't drop much, but my case no longer sounded like it could take flight at any given moment.

The Raptors are older (WD3000HLFS), and have been collecting dust since I moved over to SSD's. I put one in my new build, but could hear it chatter away.

I really don't know what role (if any) this system will play, but I would like to mess around with Win8 and virtual machines.

weaseled386

Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to kingdome74

said by kingdome74:

Very nice. It looks like there would be a lot of head room above the mobo to install a H110 radiator and fans.

Oh, I didn't know they released a H110! The last I saw was H100. I'd have to do a little looking into it. I know when I was looking a couple years ago (as the H100 was released) there was an issue fitting a push/pull config. If I remember correctly some were able to fit one set of fans under the top mesh though.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

»www.corsair.com/us/hydro-series-···ler.html

That's a link to the H110. I've already ordered mine and I picked up a HX750 Gold for 119 with a 10 mail in. I figure the way I'm going I'll build mine sometime next fall.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to weaseled386

said by weaseled386:

said by DarkLogix:

Sadly, no. It is smart to start looking now though, or you'll make hasty decisions! What in the heck would you do with fifteen 5.25" bays?! All I wanted was 1!

My current case has 11 and I kinda use them all.

9 of them are filled with iCages, 1 with a BD drive, and one with the power switch and 3.5 bay.

(with the way thermal take made my case the power button and HDD leds on on a part that's movable and has a ext 3.5 bay, which I filled with a dual drive 2.5 hotswap bay.)

heres a link to the iCage
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11999141

I then replaced the fans on all 3 iCages with higher flow fans.

Then on my next computer I'd like 12 bays available to use as space for a radiator and then 1 for a BD drive, one for the 2.5 hotswap bay, and then 1 or maybe more for a reservoir water pump unit.

so 15-17 5.25 bays
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to a2nxtcrav3r

said by a2nxtcrav3r:

you should check out caselabs

I modded mine. To take 10 bays on each side so 20 bays total
Right now their cases mostly use 3x120

»www.techpowerup.com/forums/showt···t=158816

But their top baller case has 18 drive bays on both sides and can take penta 120s

Nice

though If I went as large as the one in the link I'd just base it on a 48-58U server rack
Then use some 4x 120mm radiators and delta megafast fans and set them up in a rack mount config

then get a "small" fish tank for the reservoir.
And some 12v powersupplies for the Delta's (50w each and that'd be 8 per radiator, so 400w of fans per radiator.)

Then have post heat load cooling and per heat load cooling, and a recirc loop for cooling the water in the reservoir.

I'm thinking 4 or maybe 10 radiators
ya 10.
2 sets of 4 (pre and post) and then 2 for the recirc.

so 2,000W of fans then add on the pumps and I bet it'd be over 2,500 watts just for the cooling system.

Ya I aint spending money to go that big (atleast unless I win the lotto)
--