how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rac43

join:2011-09-16
Flower Mound, TX

Never Ending price increases

Just received my latest Verizon tripple play bill and it is up by $14.
Up $7 for freedom essentials, up $3 for Showtime/Starz pack, the other $4 can't find yet but it's added in there somewhere. I guess Verizon just keeps pecking away at you till you call and cancel then its all cherries and cream and knock off $20 if you will stay with them. Is anyone else being screwed by Fios?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
I havent gotten my bill this month, ill have to look and see
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to rac43
I saw an on-screen message last week that said all premium channels were increasing by $2/month. If you get them as part of a bundle then there is no price increase.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Mac973:

I saw an on-screen message last week that said all premium channels were increasing by $2/month. If you get them as part of a bundle then there is no price increase.

The notice also appeared on the bills, and it was also $2 for me (not $3).
Increases in bundle prices indicate that the OP may not be under contract. I had the same situation until I re-upped and got a two-year contract.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to rac43
This is simply the cable TV/Internet/phone business. They all raise rates as much as they can. The worst is SiriusXM, who keep raising the rates and offer nothing new.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to rac43
said by rac43:

Is anyone else being screwed by Fios?

Only those folks who think the bill is too high for what they receive.

If you choose a 2 year contract, you get 2 years of price stability. If your contract expires, at some point the prices start to creep upwards. That's VZ's encouragement to get back into a contract.

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to rac43
I hate to say it, but everyone who wants them to continue to add channels, beIn, Blaze, Sony Movie, etc., etc., etc., they cost $$. The more they add the higher the cost. I agree with you, I hate the higher bills as well, but it's an inevitable fact of life, the only way to avoid price increases is to dump cable/satellite altogether. As the channels keep increasing thier subscriber fees Verizon and all the other cable/satellite companies are going to pass on those costs.
--
Verizon is becoming the new Comcast

Those .tv channels have got to go!!!!!!!!!!

Hooper
Premium
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO
reply to rac43
I was just looking at my bill for the month. The pricing is out of control. My bundle which is expiring is $120 for Ultimate TV and 35/35. Rebundling to the current equal plan is $20 more/per month! In return I I don't get any additional channels and a slower upload speed. And Verizon continues to charge for cable cards. I thought that charge was regulated out?

bgtimber75

join:2006-06-23
Columbia, MD
reply to rac43
I get a call every couple of months from my wife saying the Verizon bill has gone up. Not all price increases but specials expiring and increases but it's getting really hard to justify. Sad fact is that if I choose to go back on contract it's going to be more expensive since they don't have my package anymore and haven't for years.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Hooper
said by Hooper:

I was just looking at my bill for the month. The pricing is out of control. My bundle which is expiring is $120 for Ultimate TV and 35/35. Rebundling to the current equal plan is $20 more/per month! In return I I don't get any additional channels and a slower upload speed. And Verizon continues to charge for cable cards. I thought that charge was regulated out?

Most cable companies charge for cable cards. AT least we don't get charged and HD outlet fee like with Comcast.

On another note since the TiVo Mini was released I was able to turn in one of my three cable cards. Now I just need to wait for the six tuner TiVo to come out and I can get down to one cable card. At one point I had eight cable cards on FiOS.

gregg62

join:2008-02-09
Stirling, NJ
reply to rac43
Totally agree it's getting out of control. Check this out.
My contract recently expired. I called up, threathened to cancel, was connected to retention. I was paying 119 /month for the triple play with 25/25 internet. They offered me a $20 discount to 99/month, plus the multi room DVR would be free for the 2 year contract. I said great! Sign me up. They sent me a confirmation email and it said $135/month with no discount for the DVR. I called up again and they said the person I spoke to was not a Verizon employee. Apparently, they sub contract some of the reps. Didn't know they do that. The new person I spoke to couldn't give me squat. I threathened to leave and they actually called my bluff. I wound up getting a better deal on line. 114 a month with 50/25 internet and free hbo and sho for the 2 years.

Neil From PA

@verizon.net
Gregg, where did you find the link for renewal at that price? I don't see any offers resembling yours.

Chrisb009

@verizon.net
reply to rac43
I became tired of the "never ending price increases" so I decided to rid myself of all Vz equipment. I now utilize Media Center and send the signal to extenders for each screen. Works great - all I have is a $3.99 monthly rental charge for the cable card instead of the $30-$40 per month rental fees. I have full DVR capabilities and a much faster response time when channel surfing. I also removed the worthless Vz router and supply my own UTM/Router via the 1GB port from the Vz interface box. I've been very happy with the setup thus far.

Chrisb009

@verizon.net
reply to rac43
So - just called Vz since my contract is coming to an end. Vz wants to charge more for less. I currently pay $114.99 for services (35x35 and Ultimate HD), 3.99 for a cable card and $5.27 in taxes for a total of $124.25 per month. Verizon wants to up services to $139.99 (50x25 and Ultimate HD) per month. If I were to decrease my speed to 15x5 it would decrease the bill by $10.00 per month. Where does Vz believe it's a "good deal" for the consumer to offer less services for more $$$? In April - I will probably cancel Vz and look at other alternatives. The price of Cable services is getting out of hand.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Chrisb009 :

So - just called Vz since my contract is coming to an end. Vz wants to charge more for less. I currently pay $114.99 for services (35x35 and Ultimate HD), 3.99 for a cable card and $5.27 in taxes for a total of $124.25 per month. Verizon wants to up services to $139.99 (50x25 and Ultimate HD) per month. If I were to decrease my speed to 15x5 it would decrease the bill by $10.00 per month. Where does Vz believe it's a "good deal" for the consumer to offer less services for more $$$? In April - I will probably cancel Vz and look at other alternatives. The price of Cable services is getting out of hand.

Welcome to the world of cable services. So I put this in perspective for our service. Note that there is no competition in California where we live so Verizon doesn't offer deals like they do in some other places. I just pulled up our bill from January 2009 (the oldest I have on my PC). Then we had Triple Freedom (Verizon Freedom Essentials (copper), FiOS TV Premier (with very little HD), and FiOS Internet (15/5) for $109.99, plus the movie package for $34.98, plus DVR for $15.99 = $160.96. We now have FiOS Digital Voice Unlimited, FiOS TV Extreme HD (much, much more HD), and FiOS Internet (50/25) for $114.99, plus the movie package for $34, plus DVR for $16.99 = $166.98. That's not a very big price increase over the period from 2009 to 2013, but it is a huge increase in service levels with the HD and VOD improvements, very much faster Internet, and even better voice -- digital voice offers many more features. So for us, it's not too bad for us.

Chrisb009

@verizon.net
reply to rac43
If Vz had raised my bill by a few percentage points and offered additional services and/or improvements such as 50/25 I wouldn't have any reason to complain. This price increase of $20.00 is a 17.5% increase which does not take into consideration the increase in taxes. I feel a 17.5% increase to their current subscriber base is totally unwarranted. I've always paid my bill on time and do not abuse the bandwidth allocated. I'll look else where for services. If necessary - I'll play the back and forth game between Comcast and Vz for the lesser rates as I'll be considered a "new" customer and will be eligible for the "special" deals.

gregg62

join:2008-02-09
Stirling, NJ
reply to Neil From PA
Neil,
The price listed was 134.99, but you had you're choice of 3 bonus items, a gift card (I believe it was for $150.00, a $15.00 /month discount, or a $5 /month discount). Why anyone would chose the $5 discount instead of the $15.00 discount I have no idea! I chose the $15 discount, and it also threw in another $5 discount for good measure which brought the total down to 114.99 / month. That's for the extreme package btw, which I'm fine with.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to rac43
I got more for my money with the bandwidth increase.

Prairie Dog
Here's Looking At You Kid
Premium
join:2000-08-09
Langhorne, PA
reply to rac43
Quick question guys. Mine started out at $138, over two years ago. A recent increase just brought the bill to $228. That's without any additional services or upgrades. My contract ran out about a year ago. Can I cancel service, and then have the service renewed in my wife's name? Also, Comcast is available here as well. Will Verizon allow this, as the savings would be substantial as a new customer. Anyone try this? Thanks

skohly

join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ
said by Prairie Dog:

Quick question guys. Mine started out at $138, over two years ago. A recent increase just brought the bill to $228. That's without any additional services or upgrades. My contract ran out about a year ago. Can I cancel service, and then have the service renewed in my wife's name? Also, Comcast is available here as well. Will Verizon allow this, as the savings would be substantial as a new customer. Anyone try this? Thanks

Didn't you try and negoitate with Verizon? If I were you I'd call them up and tell them Comcast just offered you the deal of a lifetime and see what they say?

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to Prairie Dog
That seems astronomical $90 when going off a contract. I was off contract for a few months and they wanted an extra $15 to $115 while not bad was not extraordinary.

I called TWC, had them connect (they have 30 day MBG), then they were incompetent and messed up CC install. I called Verizon to disconnect. I had then shut everything off (it's all software), and went back into the store and they gave me a retention bonus $10, so I'm only up $5 now for one year. In the meantime I port out my number, and then they know I'm business (go to Anveo which is cheap). I confuse them, and that's when the negotiation cycle starts.

I call them back and tell them I'm not interested in all these channels, so they move me from 25/25 to 50/25 (at first they tried charging me $10) and downgrade my TV to SelectHD. No regional sports fees. They offer a 2 year contract for $74 for this package and I sign on the dotted line. My Anveo line costs $5 a month all in (taxes on phone for VZ was $6) and CC is $4 (W7MC). Now I'm paying a good rate, and have awesome internet, so perfectly happy. Verizon customer service was always professional and helped..compared to the TWC henchmen its like going from a Lexus dealer to a used car dealer selling 3rd hand cars. That alone was worth the price of admission.

On the cell side, Verizon takes care of me just the same so I have no complaints. Just last week my ipad fried my SIM and they overnighted a new one (by 10:30AM) because I was hitting the road for no charge.

I know we whine about cost, but my Verizon relationship is one I like so IMHO that is worth my business just the same.

So I figured the $40 a month I was paying less is over $500 a year, and I was watching only a few of those channels. In fact I like Stossel (FBN), but you can watch it on the web so no Extreme. I'm finding a lot of the niche shows I would watch are all available on the web now, so no big loss except for sports. But I let my buds pay the extra $100 a month. I just have to cart the beer..

napmaster

join:2004-04-09
Burlington, MA
reply to rac43
Man..this sucks. Just received my bill for this month and......another price increase. I was paying around $139(no contract) for double play and it increased to about $155.
And what's with this stupid Regional sports fee bs.