spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nickp

@myvzw.com

issue with Pantech um185 - uscellular

I have had my Pantech um185 for about 2 years now. In my area, 3g is the best option, especially considering I play online games. I typically get about 130-160ms latency in WoW with this device, which is better than satellite. I have an antenna connected which gives me a constant 3-4 bars of signal on my device.

That said, over the last week or two, I will show the same latency in game but it will jump to 2000 and lag bad, and when I alt-tab to show the desktop, I watch it go from 4 bars to 0, then from 3g to 1x, from 1x to blank, back to 1x, back to 3g, then from 0 bars to 4. Always the same pattern, doesn't skip a bar in the process. It's like a countdown, 4 bars, 3, 2, 1, 0. Then back up. It's strange, and very annoying. I've uninstalled all the software, reinstalled, and updated everything. I'm on a prepaid plan, so their support is just a hair above useless. It doesn't just do it in games, I can also watch this happen when just surfing, which made downloading device updates a chore. Does anyone have any advice on what I can try?

Also, I'm considering upgrading to to one of the mobile hotspots offered by uscellular, the zte unite and a Samsung. However, I'm not sure if they will take an antenna and can't find any info. I know I probably won't get a 4g signal from either since that's like 2 miles away, but I'm Ok with 3g. Anyone have any experience with either of these devices?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Is uscellular the only option you have?
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

spanky

@myvzw.com
Unfortunately, yeah pretty much. Where I live they are the best. We have AT&T, but if you bring their phones to my house you're lucky to get a bar of signal. But I have a playstation vita which picks up a 3g signal from at&t with 2-3 bars in some places in the house, but not their phones. I'm on top of a mountain, in the boonies of WV. I want to try them since the vita seems to get a good signal without antenna, thinking that an intent device with antenna would get even better signal, but since the phones get nothing i'm afraid I'd be wasting money.

We have satellite options, but with latency being important in what I use it for, the 3g is better even if I'm tethering my phone. But my phone can't use an antenna either, so it's usually at 2 bars and switching between 3g and 1x, and still can't reach the 4g signal a few miles away.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
no Verizon there?

spanky

@myvzw.com
Nope. If you try to use Verizon you will get 0-1 bars of 1x, then go roaming 20 feet from the house.