Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

MP4 Copy Protection

Can MP4s be copy protected? I'm not talking about Apple's MV4 file type. Or are they like MP3s where copy protection is not possible?

If an MP4 is copy protected how can you tell, if you're a valid user?
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

Maybe it relates to FairPlay?

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Yeah, I found the FairPlay, but this didn't come from Apple and to be honest I don't know if it is copy protected. I was wondering if first of all an MP4 can be copy protected, and if it is how do you know.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Kilroy

Are you talking about mp4 files (a video container: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14) or m4p files (Apple's copy protected container for AAC audio files)?

As far as I know mp4 files are not copy protected??
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN

I'm talking about MP4 files, ie VIDEO.MP4. I have a subscription to a video service that allows you to download the videos as MP4 files to use on your mobile devices. My question is, what happens to the MP4 files I've downloaded if I decide to cancel my supscription? There may be some information on the site, but I was wondering, in general, if MP4 files can have DRM.
--

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

Test on a PC that has not been used to play the movies and is not connected to the internet.

If they are protected, they won't play. Some protected files won't even play on a PC not connected to the internet, whether the PC was previously used or not.
--
Google is your Friend

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

said by Dogg:

Test on a PC that has not been used to play the movies and is not connected to the internet.

I put them on my iPad and played them, but it was probably connected via wireless. But, I wasn't prompted for credentials to play them. Don't know if that qualifies or not.
--