share rss forum feed

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1

[Tech] radar tool for linux

i'm not sure if this has come up before or not -- my google-fu on the site is not showing anything -- but i'm curious to see if there is any answer.

i have used grlevel3 in the past on my windows systems and have enjoyed what it brings to the table. i have (in the past) hooked it up to a 32" lcd tv that i have mounted on the wall in my office during severe weather so that i can track it while i work.

fast forward a few months -- and i've ripped out the windows box for a linux laptop and i'm looking for the same functionality (natively in linux, ideally). has anyone found a good weather radar package for linux with similar (or even slightly less) interfacing and functionality as the packages for other platforms?

i do have a windows server 2k8 vm that runs on the linux laptop -- performing dhcp, dns, and print-server duties, and i can revert back to windows software if needed -- but i'd like to find something linux-based (even pay for use is ok -- i just want the linux native stuffs).

thanks!

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

would the mods object to a cross-post into the 'all things unix' forum to see if i can tap into the larger *nix userbase over there?

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest
reply to tubbynet

Have you tried searching Google for Linux+weather radar?

»linux.softpedia.com/progDownload···100.html

»www.wdssii.org/

»gtk-apps.org/content/show.php/We···t=121420

»www.freedownloadmanager.org/down···517.html

I use FreeBSD and there isn't a port for any of those apps so I don't know if they will suit your purpose of not. I use WeatherSpect which only gives an ASCII animation of current weather conditions.

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

yes.
the issue is that i don't want 'screenlets' or something similar. i have a weather utility for cinnamon that i prefer for that purpose.

i have installed 'aweather' from the ubuntu repos and it is slightly less than what was expected. radar tools is outdated and doesn't perform nearly as expected.

i've also looked at gempak -- but haven't had the time to compile the software and learn the interface. while i'm sure its powerful enough -- the learning curve is slightly more steep than what i have time for at the moment.

i'm not saying that i'm against learning or compiling something. the creator of stormpredator (the software in the last link) has expressed a want for making something in linux -- but has had time commitments from the payware pacakge that prevent him from doing so. i haven't seen where he has made the software as of yet.

i'm sure that there are people out there who are linux and weather buffs. if the consensus is the big three (aweather, gempak, or wdss) -- i'm ok with that. i just didn't know if i was missing something elsewhere.

q.
--

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19

2 edits

reply removed due to non Linux user.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to tubbynet

said by tubbynet:

i'm not sure if this has come up before or not -- my google-fu on the site is not showing anything -- but i'm curious to see if there is any answer.

i have used grlevel3 in the past on my windows systems and have enjoyed what it brings to the table. i have (in the past) hooked it up to a 32" lcd tv that i have mounted on the wall in my office during severe weather so that i can track it while i work.

fast forward a few months -- and i've ripped out the windows box for a linux laptop and i'm looking for the same functionality (natively in linux, ideally). has anyone found a good weather radar package for linux with similar (or even slightly less) interfacing and functionality as the packages for other platforms?

i do have a windows server 2k8 vm that runs on the linux laptop -- performing dhcp, dns, and print-server duties, and i can revert back to windows software if needed -- but i'd like to find something linux-based (even pay for use is ok -- i just want the linux native stuffs).

thanks!

q.

I don't want to download images from the NWS... I want a software package that will use the raw Level3 data from the radar site.

As it stands, GRLevelX relies heavily on DirectX, so that pretty much eliminates compiling it for Linux.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

said by burner50:

As it stands, GRLevelX relies heavily on DirectX, so that pretty much eliminates compiling it for Linux.

i didn't know about the direct-x dependency (or maybe just ignored the system requirements during installation) -- but it would make sense.
i was hoping that someone would have put together something using opengl or so. like i said -- aweather is decent -- but its not the same.

for the time being -- i'll just have an rdp session open to the windows pc with grlevel3 installed. maybe i'll tinker with something like crossover to satisfy the need for now.

thanks, burner50 See Profile!

q.
--

tbzep

join:2001-12-21
Huntingdon, TN

I was able to get GRLevel3 running on Ubuntu 12.04 by running it in WinXP under Virtualbox. I've found that a virtual machine is a lot easier to fool with than to try to get programs to run stable under Wine.

The virtual machine needs to have 3D acceleration enabled and have Guest Additions installed.

I haven't tried it with VMware as it hasn't been as stable on my machine and I've deleted it. I suspect it would be just as easy to set up as Virtualbox, though.

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

said by tbzep:

I was able to get GRLevel3 running on Ubuntu 12.04 by running it in WinXP under Virtualbox. I've found that a virtual machine is a lot easier to fool with than to try to get programs to run stable under Wine.

The virtual machine needs to have 3D acceleration enabled and have Guest Additions installed.

I haven't tried it with VMware as it hasn't been as stable on my machine and I've deleted it. I suspect it would be just as easy to set up as Virtualbox, though.

this is my next path.
i have a vbox instance on a spare laptop i have driving my console server. from there -- i have a tinyxp vm that i'll spin up. i'll then drive it off there. the other potential is to use something like win2k8 in the vm -- and then use a 'remoteapp' instance so that i can point an rdp session at the app specifically.

thanks!

q.
--

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX

1 recommendation

I use ZyGrib for raw data.
For my Vantage Vue I use weewx.

All Linux driven.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
reply to tubbynet

Last night I tried AWeather. Man this is an awesome tool. Looks like like GRLevel3.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$