spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chatterjb

@rr.com

UVerse and PhonePower?

My parents are about to close on a new house and will be subscribing to UVerse TV & Internet (probably the mid-tier 'Max' package). They were, however, thinking of getting a non-Uverse VOIP solution for their phone service. I read lots of good things about PhonePower, but I also saw a bunch of posts about it not working so well specifically with Uverse service. All of those posts date back to around 2009. Does anyone have recent experience using PhonePower with their UVerse service? How would you rate your experience?

Thanks,
Dave

woodie

join:2000-09-23
Gulf Breeze, FL

I have no experience with PhonePower, but I am using VOIPo with my Uverse internet only service and have no problems. The two seem to play well together.

chatterjb

@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for your reply. Ok, so you're happy with VOIPo. How's the call quality and all that? Would you notice any difference as compared to a traditional land line?

MDColson

join:2002-12-20
West Hartford, CT
reply to chatterjb

I have been using uverse with ooma for the last year or so and everything works fine. From what I understand the only concerns with uverse and voip is that at&t prioritizes the internet speeds as follows (1) uverse voip phone lines (2) uverse tv and last (3) uverse internet. So there is no way for you to give your voip priority over all internet and tv traffic, the internet speeds will always take a back seat to the phone (which you probably don't have) and the tv (which you may have).
--
»www.mdcolson.com

vrette
Premium
join:2000-07-22
Lombard, IL
reply to chatterjb

I've been using U-verse internet only with a OBi202 / Google Voice for a few months now and can't say I've noticed any difference than when I had U-verse internet and U-verse VOIP.
--
Chairman of the Bored...

woodie

join:2000-09-23
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to chatterjb

I have been very please with VOIPo. I've been using them for about a year and a half now. The call quality is the same as when we had a traditional land line. They are very reliable, and quick to respond the few times there have been problems.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to chatterjb

I had no trouble with U-verse+PhonePower.

There was a period where I had an issue with intermittent "gaps of silence", but that was resolved with a call to PhonePower support.

VOIPo is another story. Ugh. I'm so sick of answering a phone and hearing dead air. It's not an ISP issue as it followed me from U-verse to TWC.

--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

RJW

@sbcglobal.net
reply to chatterjb

I've had Uverse phone at two locations for almost 4 years. Works perfectly, no complaints. I am currently having internet (slow) problems at both sites but the TV (one site) and phone (both sites) continues to work perfectly. When you get the phone service it comes with a back up battery pack for the RG when is supposed to last 4 hours or so. This also keeps the WI-FI going.

I have really never had any problems with the phone service. It works just as well as POTS in my opinion.

taylor2767

join:2007-07-12
Columbus, OH
reply to chatterjb

Try Ooma. I 've had it for 2 1/2 yrs and had to reboot it maybe 2-3 times due to registration issue. Otherwise it has been perfect all around.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to chatterjb

I use Vonage thru U-Verse fairly often and have never had any problems with it.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to chatterjb

Ooma worked great via Uverse internet for 16 months til we switched ISP's.

Uvoice works great when it works. Wouldn't trust it if it was your ONLY line (no cellphone) though. A family friend lost a job opportunity because her Uvoice stopped getting incoming calls for a week, and she had no cell at the time.