spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NightTripper
join:2006-09-26
Stronghurst, IL

NightTripper

[RANT] No warning or email on ban

I was using Mediacom's forum to solve my many problems. I was using an ongoing thread about the problems I was having. I am paying for the Max plan that is 20 down and 2 up. I get .3 down and .7 up. The only other service in the area is cable and dsl. Since my kids are gamers. I use cable. And I have been with then since they installed the service in our area. Around 13 years. But when I went on Mediacom's forum to check on the thread. It says
"Sorry Night, you are banned from using this forum!
This ban is not set to expire."
No warning or email. I understand it is Mediacom's forum and they can do what they want with it.
What I would like is some email addresses that I can tell my story to that might make a difference. I also understand that I live in the sticks. But if they are going to sell their product they should stand behind it. There used to be a VP in the Quad Cities that you could call. He would actually talk to you and would make things happen. Any help would be appreciated.

Night
NightTripper

NightTripper

I forgot to add. I also am not able to get to any of Mediacom's web services that are part of »mediacomcable.com unless I use a proxy service. Maybe that is why the ban happened. They tried to stop me by cutting off my access to the domain name. But I by passed that by using a proxy service

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

1 edit

Anonymous88

Premium Member

No, they are having issues with the routing I think. There are a lot of people who can't get to the website. As far as your ban maybe MediacomChad can send you a message?
NightTripper
Stronghurst, IL

NightTripper

I appreciate the heads up on others having problems with getting to Mediacom's websites.
MediacomChad did not send any message nor did any of the other moderators of Mediacom's forum. And I find that to be a cowardly act. My ban happened after a tech came to my home and disconnected my SB6121 and connected Mediacom's modem that was there for phone service. Needles to say. The service is slower now. The SB6121 was bonded to two channels. Where as the SBV5220 is bonded to only one. It took the tech over an hour to get through the walledgarden. Something is definitely wrong there!
Since I lost access to the forum for help I will now go to my village and asked for help. Also I will ask about the contract that is enforce now. After that I will have a better idea on what my resources are.

Mark
NightTripper

NightTripper

The "I get .3 down and .7 up." in the first message should be
I get 13 down and .7 up. Sorry for the mistake.

Mark
NightTripper

NightTripper

Is this a good program to determine internet speeds? ShaperProbe.exe

Plugged into the modem.

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 64.9.225.166.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 1159 Kbps.
Downstream: 24604 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 3.0 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

Downstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

NightTripper,

I got with the Moderators on the support forums and we double checked and verified that you have not been blocked from accessing the site. I am not sure why you are getting the error that you are.
NightTripper
Stronghurst, IL

NightTripper

I have run several forums in my time. And I currently run the forum for my UT99 team Teamfbi.org How do you accidentally get this message?? Not to mention, I can not access the forum.

Mark
NightTripper

NightTripper

I am now able to access the Mediacom forum. But any trust I had in them is gone.

Mark

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I am glad you are able to access it again. I assure you, none of the Moderators blocked you from accessing the site.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned) to NightTripper

to NightTripper
said by NightTripper:

I have run several forums in my time. And I currently run the forum for my UT99 team Teamfbi.org How do you accidentally get this message?? Not to mention, I can not access the forum.

Mark

Exactly.

The least Mediacom should do is admit that they made a decision to ban you in error.

However at least they still have a direct forum. Charter which is my provider has COMPLETELY done away with this for ALL customers.
I guess Carter doesn't give a crap about good service or satisfied customers.
NightTripper
Stronghurst, IL

NightTripper

How did I get unblocked?

Mark
NightTripper

NightTripper

The tech that came by last week said my Motorola SD6121 was bad. And he hooked me up to the VOIP modem (Motorola SBV5220) that I was using for the telephone. So now I am ready to RMA the bad modem to Motorola. They are telling me that it will cost almost as much as a new modem to send this one in for repair. If this SB6121 is not bad. Is Mediacom going to stand behind their work and reimburse me if it is found to be OK? An official from Mediacom did tell me that it was bad. But I'll be willing to bet anyone here that the modem is just fine. It took that tech close to an hour to get the Motorola SBV5220 through the walledgarden. I say they have something wrong at the headend and no one has the smarts to figure it out. It should not take that long to registrar a modem!

Mark

TJFriday
join:2009-06-29
Des Moines, IA

TJFriday

The reason that the modem is so expensive to repair is that it doesn't actually get repaired. Motorola may have it tested and if it tests out alright they will sell it as a refurbished modem or use it as a warranty replacement for someone else. This is the most common practice in the consumer electronics business with regard to set-top boxes without storage and consumer network devices. It will likely cost them more in all of the shipping, support and administrative overhead that it will still be a loss. There are only two replaceable parts to a cable modem--the modem itself and the power supply.

You are probably correct, it's pretty likely that your modem is fine. When they get the issue figured out at the head-end you should swap back to your own modem.

namehere
@ecatel.net

namehere to MediacomChad

Anon

to MediacomChad
The error message posted indicated a banned member by their name. I can't believe Mediacom would stoop to being flatly dishonest on something that's pretty obvious to anyone who has an understanding of forum software.
said by MediacomChad:

I am glad you are able to access it again. I assure you, none of the Moderators blocked you from accessing the site.

NightTripper
Stronghurst, IL

NightTripper

What did they do to get me access to the forum?

Mark

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I talked to each of the Moderators, and nothing was done. No one removed your access. There is a log that we have that lets us know which customers access has been removed or activated, and you are not in this log.

I assure you, none of the Moderators from the site removed your access, we all want to get your issue resolved.
NightTripper
Stronghurst, IL

NightTripper

The ban was in force for several days. But when I mentioned it here, bingo it was removed. Now you say that the logs show no ban. Nothing at all that shows whey I got the banned message? What message is shown to people who get banned at your forum. Is it the same one I got?

The tech worked for almost an hour trying to get the Mediacom modem to work. That was after working on my SB6121 for 5 minutes. Yes I was timing him. I have had a lot of trouble getting a modem though the walledgarden. I have a SB 5100 that also had problems getting through the walledgarden. The problem is that we can't get an IP address assigned to the modems.

You never replied about the Motorola SB6121. Since the Mediacom tech said it was bad. Should I send it in to get repaired? Will Mediacom foot the bill if nothing is wrong with it?

Mark
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

the SB6121 modem is EOL and being replaced... why would you spend money having it repaired it prob is cheaper to get a new one. they can be had for 60 to 70 bucks these days. As for mediacom doing anything the SB6121 is not supported by mediacom. It will work but they will not do anything with it.
NightTripper
Stronghurst, IL

NightTripper

Glimmer you missed the point of that part of the post. Mediacom says it is bad and they replaced it with a much OLDer modem (SBV5220) that I have to pay a rental on. Is the SB6121 really bad? Not to mention the SB6121 can bond channels.

Mark
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

no I got your point. Your equipment is not mediacoms problem. The tech said it was bad maybe it is maybe its not. Mediacom gave you a modem to get your service working. You can either buy a modem from mediacom that they will swap out if it has problems or bring your own. Mediacom does not care about your 6121.
NightTripper
Stronghurst, IL

NightTripper

You are wrong. They do care about my SB6121. It costs money every day that it is working. That is why they changed it

Mark
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

said by NightTripper:

You are wrong. They do care about my SB6121. It costs money every day that it is working. That is why they changed it

Mark

why do they care? if they really wanted your money they could do what charter did and purge all customer owned modems from there system. I maybe bitter toward mediacoms business practices but you have down right hate for them.
NightTripper
Stronghurst, IL

NightTripper

So GLIMMER what is your purpose in this thread? Other than trying to hijack the thread. I hope you don't mind if I ignore you

So back on track.

The ban was in force for several days. But when I mentioned it here, bingo it was removed. Now you say that the logs show no ban. Nothing at all that shows whey I got the banned message? What message is shown to people who get banned at your forum. Is it the same one I got?

The tech worked for almost an hour trying to get the Mediacom modem to work. That was after working on my SB6121 for 5 minutes. Yes I was timing him. I have had a lot of trouble getting a modem though the walledgarden. I have a SB 5100 that also had problems getting through the walledgarden. The problem is that we can't get an IP address assigned to the modems.

You never replied about the Motorola SB6121. Since the Mediacom tech said it was bad. Should I send it in to get repaired? Will Mediacom foot the bill if nothing is wrong with it?

Mark

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

The only reason we can think of that you got this error was because the IP you were assigned had previously been blocked. Once the IP was released and you were given a new one, your access to the site was restored.

As for the 6121. We cannot guarantee that any non supported modems will work with our service, although, we have numerous customers that are using them with no issues at all. Because of this, we will not be able to reimburse you for any charges that are incurred for sending it in for repair.
NightTripper
Stronghurst, IL

NightTripper

I log onto my neighbor's wifi and I was still banned. I was still
banned using a proxy service. That's three different IP addresses.

Just before 9 tonight I lost my internet. They said the modem lost the IP address. Same thing keeps happening.

I got a call from a DSL rep tonight. They are pushing a 25 down and 3 up service for $49 a month. I asked them to fax or mail me the details. So I hope will not have to put up with this run around much longer.

Now I just need to find a good TV provider.

Mark
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

my point in the thread was just what chad said its your modem and mediacom does not support it. If you are having problems with service I would also either make them send a tech out again or go with directv or dish with dsl.
NightTripper
Stronghurst, IL

NightTripper

MediacomChad please arrange to have a tech come out to my home. Last night I again lost the IP address. This happened to the Mediacom modem. It has also happened to my SB5100 and my SB6121. All of this within a One week period. I should not have to put up with service that stops working until I call in to Mediacom and go through an hour of their song and dance to get this working again.

Mark

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to NightTripper

Premium Member

to NightTripper
I will get an appointment scheduled a PM you the available dates.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6 to NightTripper

to NightTripper
It sure seems to me that you have some serious signal issues to your home for this to happen independently to three different modems. Either that or your account has something bizarre about it in the Mediacom system, because these are the only commonalities that I can see as each modem has been installed on the same line and tied to the same account number. You don't say, however, what router or device is next in line after the modem, and whether you've tested everything without that there, as that is a third potential piece that hasn't changed in the testing of different modems. I hope they can solve your problem.