uniqs
share rss forum feed

TJFriday

join:2009-06-29
Des Moines, IA
reply to NightTripper

Re: [RANT] No warning or email on ban

Mark,

I believe it's a matter of semantics and perspective. To me, what you describe aren’t lies, but rather Mediacom’s poor communication which is symptomatic of other organizational issues we all feel from them as customers from time to time. I don’t feel that Mediacom’s personnel are deliberately lying to you, but rather Mediacom doesn’t have the tools, training, efficient processes, personnel and empowerment in place to provide a level of service comparable to their larger-market peers. Their personnel simply aren’t able to tell you what’s going on because they don’t know the answers and they likely don’t have a convenient means of finding out. Thus, they’re a completely reactive service organization. Their customer service personnel give inaccurate answers or answers based on the limited information they have available to them. Yes, this is likely driven by multiple issues not the least of which is cost containment.

No doubt Mediacom has earned their consistent lowest rankings with Consumer Reports and other organizations that have rated their customer service. However, I feel it is improving. Mediacom’s presence and responsiveness here often feels like the only truly functioning part of the customer service organization. However, in dealing with other telcos and connectivity providers, collectively they’re all in a race to the bottom. It is truly a sign of the economic realities facing the industry (throw in a healthy dose of greed, also).

How have I dealt with this level of service with Mediacom and others? First, I’ve come here where I’ve seen the best and most responsive service. Second, I have adjusted my expectations to be much more in-line with worst-case service (that way, I can be pleasantly surprised when I receive better service). Lastly, I struggle with myself to have patience with their lengthy and ineffective processes.

Oh… and I have a mobile cellular WiFi hot-spot that I can easily bridge into my network when all else fails!

However, when the service works, it works very well! I believe they offer very good internet service that is a good value in my market. It’s been very stable and consistent. However, when I have had problems, aside from the help I’ve received from Mediacom’s personnel here, it has also been consistent… consistently poor customer service. And that’s what keeps me coming back here--it's better and more responsive.

From a product perspective, it’s been great for me, especially recently:
»www.speedtest.net/result/2582046803.png

Please keep us informed of how this goes for you. I really hope you're on the road to a more reliable connection.

NightTripper

join:2006-09-26
Stronghurst, IL

said by TJFriday:

Mark,

I believe it's a matter of semantics and perspective. To me, what you describe aren’t lies, but rather Mediacom’s poor communication which is symptomatic of other organizational issues we all feel from them as customers from time to time. I don’t feel that Mediacom’s personnel are deliberately lying to you, but rather Mediacom doesn’t have the tools, training, efficient processes, personnel and empowerment in place to provide a level of service comparable to their larger-market peers. Their personnel simply aren’t able to tell you what’s going on because they don’t know the answers and they likely don’t have a convenient means of finding out. Thus, they’re a completely reactive service organization. Their customer service personnel give inaccurate answers or answers based on the limited information they have available to them. Yes, this is likely driven by multiple issues not the least of which is cost containment.

No doubt Mediacom has earned their consistent lowest rankings with Consumer Reports and other organizations that have rated their customer service. However, I feel it is improving. Mediacom’s presence and responsiveness here often feels like the only truly functioning part of the customer service organization. However, in dealing with other telcos and connectivity providers, collectively they’re all in a race to the bottom. It is truly a sign of the economic realities facing the industry (throw in a healthy dose of greed, also).

I thought that was what I said

The tech that was here is the same one who always shows up. The one before him got a job with the sheriff department in Galesburg. I know my techs by their first names. Twice they had someone else with them. Must have been up the food chain because of the way they reacted with each other.

I was making good use of Mediacom's forum. I had very good luck with them. Very helpful and they got the job done. But this “not a ban” thing poisoned that. They don't know how I got “not banned”. But I suddenly got “not unbanned”. And no one knows anything about it. My respect went down the drain for them on that one. And I'm sure they will lose sleep over that

I have my backup internet also. In fact three different ones. I have a generator for power backup. But when the power goes. So does Mediacom. It pays to have backups.

Mark

NightTripper

Stronghurst, IL

I think it is sad that some of Mediacom's customers can't get to mediacomcable.com

Mark

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

its a routing issue. I couldnt for a few days myself. Just used my cellphone if I wanted to check out the forums over there.

thistool

@myvzw.com

If you can't or won't. Separate your network from mine. I can't isolate the problem running on the drop alone with your home disconnected is not asking to much . While routing could very well be a issue. Not separating your home from the network is not fair to trouble shooting the connectivity issues. Setting up a tent running a extension cord to the first place the signal entering the home. Would clearly identify it not your home. From there it would obviously be a network issue. Or the exact opposite could be true. Without cutting of sections and duplicating the problem you stay in the same pattern never getting to the heart of the issue . To whom ever thinks I don't care. about my customers your crazy. We are a small telecom every customer counts. Without you I don't make a living. I'm asking you to try something different. If we can't work together to isolate the issue , it won't get fixed.

NightTripper

Stronghurst, IL

said by thistool :

If you can't or won't. Separate your network from mine. I can't isolate the problem running on the drop alone with your home disconnected is not asking to much . While routing could very well be a issue. Not separating your home from the network is not fair to trouble shooting the connectivity issues. Setting up a tent running a extension cord to the first place the signal entering the home. Would clearly identify it not your home. From there it would obviously be a network issue. Or the exact opposite could be true. Without cutting of sections and duplicating the problem you stay in the same pattern never getting to the heart of the issue . To whom ever thinks I don't care. about my customers your crazy. We are a small telecom every customer counts. Without you I don't make a living. I'm asking you to try something different. If we can't work together to isolate the issue , it won't get fixed.

What are you talking about? And yes I understand that you think you are a network engineer. But it would be nice if you gave an idea on what you are talking about.

Mark

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to thistool

said by thistool :

Is english not your strong suit?

As for a small telecom. Mediacom is not a telecom its a MSO.

its not hard to disconnect from the house test and see what is going on.

NightTripper

Stronghurst, IL

Wow not one guess on the large object in the top left corner of my property?

Mark

TJFriday

join:2009-06-29
Des Moines, IA

Mark,

No guesses necessary. Everyone knows that's a huge bowl of white queso for dipping chips.

Tehrasha

join:2004-12-15
Vinton, IA
reply to NightTripper

I know what it isnt...

Obviously not an old fiberglass C-band dish, because you wouldnt be making such a fuss over how mysterious it is...

It is not high enough above the ground to be a doppler-radar dome... (unless its on a trailer for mobile use)

Its not a spherical LP tank, because its too close to your house...

The satellite camera is pretty much washed out by the white object, and Google hasnt driven past your house to give us a street-view image, anyone would be hard pressed to identify it...

It might as well be the top of an unburied septic tank.

NightTripper

Stronghurst, IL

said by Tehrasha:

I know what it isnt...

Obviously not an old fiberglass C-band dish, because you wouldnt be making such a fuss over how mysterious it is...

Your no fun 3.8 meter dish. I think it's about 12.5 foot She is pointed at SES-1
Everything that our government has on weather comes down from that satellite. All the radar, satellite images, weather reports, river stages, ect. All from a Dutch satellite! Go figure. It's called a NOAAport system. There are fewer than 10 such setups in "home" use. TV stations and government weather sites have them. But just for a "hobby" not very many.
There is a small square patch of brown between the house and my shop. Right on the left of that is a 45 foot Rhon tower. I broadcast information from the NOAAport system to the nursing home across the street. The school a couple of blocks to the right of me. And the village. Since the system is on battery backup and I am on a generator backup. The information flows no mater what. It is a closed network. So no worry's about someone hacking in.
Weather has always been a hobby with me. My website reflects that »www.burgus.org I am retired and I fix up computers to give to the local youth for school work. I have rescued many a computer from the scrap yard. Henderson county is one of the poorest counties in Illinois. We only have one stop traffic light in the whole county. It's on US 34 about 2 miles into Illinois coming from Iowa.
Having my own NOAAport system keeps a heck of a lot of traffic off of my internet feed.

Mark
Expand your moderator at work

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
reply to NightTripper

Re: [RANT] No warning or email on ban

Mark, bravo on having your own NOAAPORT setup, and for sharing its information with the school and neighbors in your town. I would love to have such a setup, but can't afford such a thing.

NightTripper

Stronghurst, IL

The only thing that cost was the LNB and decoder. The rest was scrounged. I have heard of people who are using a PCI card to do the decoding. Much cheaper way to go if it works.

Mark