uniqs
share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to Pacrat

Re: Lichen on roof removal?

I think I should have enough zinc to add at least one more strip across.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
Yikes aurgathor! Going by your picture the problem is using 3 tab shingles on a pitch shallower than a 3/12. I would be surprised if you have any roof deck under that moss. Moss is thriving from moisture in that area of the roof. I would guess that area is one big sponge. Any pitch less than 3/12 needs another product, like a rolled roof. Although roofing technology has jumped ahead and there are much better products for shallow pitched roofs.

boaterbob
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC
I had this problem when I lived in High Springs (Gainesville), Fla. and I used a pump-up garden sprayer to spray a bleach/water solution. The lichen was killed but then it turned reddish/brown in color - it does not disappear for quite awhile - long time - i.e., not quickly!! Your choice - green and alive, or reddish/brown and dead.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to VioletVenom
said by VioletVenom:

Going by your picture the problem is using 3 tab shingles on a pitch shallower than a 3/12. I would be surprised if you have any roof deck under that moss.

The wood underneath the tar paper is coated with poly.

There's a long story to the slope -- suffice to say that making it significantly steeper would've made the space underneath much less usable.

Any pitch less than 3/12 needs another product, like a rolled roof.

Next time.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
said by aurgathor:

said by VioletVenom:

Any pitch less than 3/12 needs another product, like a rolled roof.

Next time.

Last year, I replaced a 38'x10' awning over my back porch with a standing seam metal roof. It should last my lifetime with years to spare.

--
March is National Noodle Month