Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to BrianON

Premium Member

to BrianON

Re: good PAY-BY-THE-MINUTE plan (just in case a need to use it)?

said by BrianON:

For pay per minute Wind it is 20c with no roaming or LD fees on top of that in Canada. You can travel and call anywhere for the 20c price. If your not going to use it much a local number doesn't really matter if you don't get dinged with roaming or LD fees. The main thing lost when not in a Wind zone is the free incoming calls. No voice mail (costs extra). Top ups -$40+ 180 days, $100+ 365 days both from time of top-up....

Are you saying that if I don't mind taking an Ottawa number (for example), that WIND will charge me only a flat 20 cents per minute for all of my airtime/LDX combined when outside one of their 'home' zones ? (as I surely WOULD be)

Even if that IS true, how much must I ALSO pay up front monthly for the plan ?

And who is their network partner when outside of their 'home' zones ?

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

said by Davesnothere:

Are you saying that if I don't mind taking an Ottawa number (for example), that WIND will charge me only a flat 20 cents per minute for all of my airtime/LDX combined when outside one of their 'home' zones ? (as I surely WOULD be)

Even if that IS true, how much must I ALSO pay up front monthly for the plan ?

And who is their network partner when outside of their 'home' zones ?

Yep, that's how it works. You don't have to use a monthly plan either; you can go strictly pay-as-you-go.

Here are the plans: »www.windmobile.ca/en/Pag ··· ans.aspx

The table shows the rates on their network. Down at the bottom are the rates outside their network, where it says "Low flat rates when you travel" with the US/Canada flags.

I don't know who their network partner is though. Might be able to compare their coverage map with the maps of Rogers and Bell and see if you can find a match.
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

2 edits

BrianON

Made a mistake actually, it's not Canada it is Canada/US. From the site:
US/Canada Roaming - 20¢/min: When outside a WIND Zone, receive a call or make a call to anywhere in Canada or the US– no extra long-distance charges apply.
As for network partners I think in Canada it is Rogers, not sure in the USA.

They also periodically have a top up bonus, currently at 50% so anything over a $20 top up gets you a service credit equal to 50% of your top up.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by cybersaga:

Yep, that's how it works. You don't have to use a monthly plan either; you can go strictly pay-as-you-go.

Here are the plans: »www.windmobile.ca/en/Pag ··· ans.aspx

The table shows the rates on their network. Down at the bottom are the rates outside their network, where it says "Low flat rates when you travel" with the US/Canada flags.

I don't know who their network partner is though. Might be able to compare their coverage map with the maps of Rogers and Bell and see if you can find a match.

said by BrianON:

Made a mistake actually, it's not Canada it is Canada/US. From the site:

US/Canada Roaming - 20¢/min: When outside a WIND Zone, receive a call or make a call to anywhere in Canada or the US– no extra long-distance charges apply.
As for network partners I think in Canada it is Rogers, not sure in the USA.

They also periodically have a top up bonus, currently at 50% so anything over a $20 top up gets you a service credit equal to 50% of your top up.

Thanks.

All in all rather generous.

I was on the WIND site earlier today.

However, some of their FAQ pages are outdated (says 2011), as they still speak of a 25 cents per minute airtime surcharge for users when they are 'AWAY' (not in a HOME zone).

That was the way that WIND had things set up when I previously checked.

Looks like HOME & AWAY zones are a thing of the past then ?

How far along do I have to play to find out what municipality's phone numbers I could choose ?

Folks calling me would still have to pay LDX if my number was elsewhere, even if MY outbound calls did not.

If Rogers is partner here, then likely AT&T in USA.

50% Bonus on top-ups ? - WILD !

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

said by Davesnothere:

Not really. Everything's the same if you're using their $0 plan and you're only paying for what you use. If you use their other plans that include unlimited calling and data, that only applies to HOME. You're still paying by the minute/MB in AWAY zones.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Only for PAYG rates. Going pure PAYG (without any addons), the only difference between "HOME" and "AWAY" is you don't get the free incoming calling in "AWAY" zones. You do still get free incoming texts, though.
said by Davesnothere:

If Rogers is partner here, then likely AT&T in USA.

They roam on T-Mobile in the US.