share rss forum feed

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

How do I identify a particular device in DHCP?

I have a fairly typical network that assigns IP addresses dynamically. Is there any way to identify when a particular machine is connected and then give that machine certain privileges that are not provided to the other machines on the network?

So, a specific example is this:

I presently have a wired PC that has a static IP address. I run that through a standard DNS server. All the other devices on the network, regardless of whether the other devices are wired or wireless, use OpenDNS.

I also have a work laptop that I occasionally use at home that I'd like to have use the same DNS as my wired PC and not go through OpenDNS. I'd prefer not to use a static IP on it, since I don't want to change the IP address on the machine when I go back to work.

Is there any way to do this? I have Actiontec MI424WR routers.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:13
It's all going to depend on the capabilities of your DHCP server. I normally use a Linux box for this which allows me to assign "static" addresses even when using DHCP, and also allows per-host setting of things like name servers and lease times.

I don't think you're going to be able to do this with your consumer router. The best you're going to be able to do is to set your laptop to use hardcoded DNS servers, but then it'll use those servers both at home and work.

/M

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to Badonkadonk
you can either spin up a dedicated vm to run your dns (virtualbox on a spare pc with dhcpd) or you could run vlans -- one for opendns -- one for unrestricted. your router would need to support vlans -- along with two instances of a dhcp server -- one for each vlan.
aside from that -- routing between the vlans would be transparent -- you'd just have two different subnets.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Badonkadonk
Thanks guys. None of the solutions is as easy as I was hoping. Oh well, I'll probably just live with it.

Relatedly, is there any software out there that can quickly change LAN adapter profiles on a laptop? For example, when I'm at work, I want it to be DHCP. But for home, I can make my initial scenario work if I assign a static IP address to the laptop.

My laziness is that I hate changing IP addresses on my computer. So if there's a program that does it for me, that would be good.
--

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

1 recommendation

said by Badonkadonk:

Thanks guys. None of the solutions is as easy as I was hoping. Oh well, I'll probably just live with it.

Relatedly, is there any software out there that can quickly change LAN adapter profiles on a laptop? For example, when I'm at work, I want it to be DHCP. But for home, I can make my initial scenario work if I assign a static IP address to the laptop.

My laziness is that I hate changing IP addresses on my computer. So if there's a program that does it for me, that would be good.

really depends on the laptop.
i know that if you run an intel wireless card -- you can use their wireless lan utility to switch. same with a thinkpad -- their thinkvantage access connections software does this as well. i have used both with pretty decent success. also -- if you run linux -- you can set this as well under the wireless utility of your choice.

here's the universal utility that claims to do the same thing. its $30 and i've never used it. your mileage may vary.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

2 edits
Hmm. It's a Dell PC with an Intel Wireless card.

I used to use that utility with my Thinkpad all the time in my prior company. We have Dells now, so I'll have to get that utility.

Huh, I'd searched before for a universal switcher like that but never found anything. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: I actually had tried installing the ProSet utility a few days ago, but for some reason my machine locks up when it gets to the end. I'm trying again right now.

Edit2: Go figure. I try constantly last week and it doesn't work. I talk to you guys and it works immediately.

--

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
its my personal magnetism. i can remotely arrange the bits on your hard drive just by talking to you. thats how i solve everyone's problems ;-P

q.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
Can you rearrange the bits just a little more?

So I installed the ProSet package and it does let me create different profiles, but none of the choices includes IP address selection and changing.
--

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32

1 recommendation

reply to Badonkadonk
said by Badonkadonk:

is there any software out there that can quickly change LAN adapter profiles on a laptop?

Why not use a DHCP reservation?

With a DHCP reservation, the Actiontec will always assign a predetermined IP address to a device with a specified MAC address. That way you simply set the laptop to always use DHCP and when at home, it will always get the same IP address.

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to get the same IP assignment per device
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Woohoo!! Exactly what I needed. I swear, I was looking all over . . .

Thank you!
--

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
reply to Badonkadonk
said by Badonkadonk:

Can you rearrange the bits just a little more?

So I installed the ProSet package and it does let me create different profiles, but none of the choices includes IP address selection and changing.

weird.
it always let me do that for my stuff.
maybe its hardware/oem dependent.

q.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Maybe so. So many different variations, it's ridiculous.
--

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
reply to Badonkadonk
said by Badonkadonk:

Woohoo!! Exactly what I needed. I swear, I was looking all over . . .

Thank you!

is the dhcp reservation enough?
most consumer-level routers only let you set the ip address on your device -- not the dns, etc.

q.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Even if it doesn't, I think I can manage that. I can create a rule so that the reserved address isn't blocked or have its packets dropped. Simple enough to do.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Badonkadonk
Okay, I'm an idiot. I guess I knew how to do this all along. I already have 6 devices (4 Nooks, an iPod and a Kindle) that are set up the way More Fiber is saying. I guess I'd forgotten.
--

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ

that is all ;-P

q.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

I know. Talk about this thread being a waste of electrons.

But still, it did help me out.
--