spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GoGoFly

@myfairpoint.net

Fairpoint ain't bad

Hey , why do people say Fairpoints trash?

in my area which is in Langdon , NH
the DSL connection is reliable.

i get 1.5Mbps download and Dial-up-ish Upload
which is what is paid for.

but sometimes it does get slow to the point Youtube
won't work which is odd.

i wonder if Fairpoint throttles or filters during certain parts of the day?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by GoGoFly :

i wonder if Fairpoint throttles or filters during certain parts of the day?

As far as I know FairPoint does not deliberately throttle DSL. If you peruse the speed complaints on this forum you will find they are typically due to limited DSLAM backhaul.

While the DSL drop to the customer is not shared once traffic hits the DSLAM is is, often resulting in congestion during peak times. FairPoint's problems tend to be fairly localized with NH escaping the worst.

/tom

DrSmith

join:2009-02-16
united state
reply to GoGoFly

I wouldn't say Fairpoint is bad, just that having Verizon was probably better for the region. Verizon offered bundled billing and the potential for greater service: FIOS and maybe even TV as a competitor to local cable. Plus when VZ offered a "deal" on service it got wide coverage and even the old users could apply for it. See any Fairpoint "sign up with us" ads lately?

With Fairpoint going bankrupt, it is struggling just to bring DSL to all the rural parts of NH and they get stuck with high costs to provide minimum service to everyone in low population density areas.

I'm pretty sure you can blame any daily, general network slowdown on all your neighbors watching NetFlix.

Julie

@fairpoint.com
reply to GoGoFly

Hi GoGoFly! Thanks for being a great customer. If you'd like, please email me at wecanhelp@fairpoint.com as I would like to see if you are eligible for a higher speed. ^Julie

storm58

join:2007-11-01

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to GoGoFly

After about 8 years of dialup and then paying $80 a month for 768/384 from a local wisp, Verizon never had any plans of expanding dsl out to us. Thanks to Fairpoint, we now have very affordable/reliable broadband internet. So I can say I'm a very happy customer. First speed test done at peak time at 8 pm on a Friday night. Two other tests were done at 2pm Saturday

tekniq
Premium
join:2001-06-17
Lenexa, KS
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

I'm actually one of the people you would reach if you called in for Fairpoint tech support and I can clear a bit of this up, tschmidt is correct they do not deliberately throttle the DSL but due to over selling in some areas. The DSLAMs will basically ration out the bandwidth with out regard to what speed package subscribed to;
DSL Standard is a 4mbps connection and usually during peak hours you might expect to a good amount of fluctuation but usually nothing lower than a 2mbps connection - below the range that is acceptable of 3.2mbps on the 4mbps advertised.

people paying for premium of 8mbps will still be running about the same speed as people paying for the 4mbps - at some times
mostly has to do with the users set up. if direct to modem vs wifi
- netstat -s
active opens / current connections

Over all a good company for the most part, I enjoy representing their service
- Tekniq -
--
We drain the oceans and suck all the blood out of the soil
We spend the time we have left fighting and killing each other
Lust for comfort, entertainment becomes an obsession
And there is so much time to kill
-gojira-

ajeff

join:2007-07-30
Orleans, VT
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
reply to GoGoFly

Click for full size
Verizon never even thought of bringing internet to this part of Vermont. Island Pond/Great Awk Wireless were carpetbaggers who brought unacceptable internet speed and reliability and took home big grants while ripping off customers for years. FairPoint brought reasonably priced, rock solid 15/1 DSL service to this area. What's not to like about FairPoint?

xQim

join:2003-09-20
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Fairpoint Commun..
reply to GoGoFly

Click for full size
Fairpoint Ethernet on a bad day.

chicken3

join:2003-02-24
Oakfield, ME

You're about 1 out of 10 people that gets good service from Fairpoint.

You literally have more bandwidth than they provide for my entire town while charging us all for 3mb packages that they can't sustain.

xQim

join:2003-09-20
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Fairpoint Commun..

1 edit
reply to GoGoFly

Click for full size
said by chicken3:

You're about 1 out of 10 people that gets good service from Fairpoint.

You literally have more bandwidth than they provide for my entire town while charging us all for 3mb packages that they can't sustain.

That is funny. I've had FP DSL before and had similar issues as you. I also have TW Cable with this connection hooked to a dual-wan load balancing router.