Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
If I had to do it again, I'd go Z77 (like now) but with a PLX board and Thunderbolt, otherwise I'd wait for Ivy-E, but I wouldn't do SB-E.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to ohh
If I had to do it again I'd go X79 (like now),........

That's not to say I won't still build an Ivy Bridge or Haswell based system since I needed to quickly build a backup server and sacrificed my Core i5 2500K / ASUS P8P67 Pro based system to do it,....

I'm trying to wait for Haswell or maybe Ivy Bridge-E but a quasi cheap Core i7 3770K at Microcenter might win out in the end,....

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to ohh
Depends what the rest of the system looks like. I've seen the 3770K clocked to 5.0 GHz, but the 3820 is no slouch either, and some guru on Reddit recently hit 4.75 GHz with it.

The only reason to go for SB-E over IB is the PCI bandwidth. What's the rest of the build look like?

I would NOT wait for Haswell. There are known issues on launch that will take 3-6 months to iron out, a new stepping to issue, then another 3 months or so for everything to mature.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ohh

join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA
reply to ohh
I planned originally for the 3770k.. mostly for gaming/streaming/podcast etc. Some video editing, maybe board layout and some programming.

Gonna put a ssd, using my old 560 ti oc2, 16gb 1600mhz 2 channel, my old 630w or 650w.. then some 3tb hds for randoms hit... and OFC some water cooler probably h110i or whatever it is.

Normally whatever I build I use for like 5 to 6 years. So, I just wanna make sure I'm doin' it right B)

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
You would be best suited with the 3770K. X79 is really intended for people who NEED a six-core processor OR the PCIe bandwidth for three/four-way SLI/Crossfire.

Get a good Z77 mobo like the Asrock OC Formula, ASUS Formula V, etc. and go to town.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ohh

San Jose, CA
I gotcha.. Yeah, maybe somewhere down the line I'd like a six core, but not anytime soon. Usually I build stuff keep it for a long while then give it away to whoever needs it. Those mobos are better than the asus deluxe? i believe it is uhhh 279$ on amazon.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
About the same AFAIK. I wouldn't let the six-core get to you. Moar cores =/= better performance, just look at the FX-8350...
--

ohh

San Jose, CA
Oh, totally about the cores... AMD is the lols! Hopefully they improve as time goes on and they keep the same price range. Sometimes it is laughable about electronics... for example samsung, apple, htc etc. A lot of fanboyism goes into it. I mean they all make good shit, it is just little minor differences.... people take it too seriously. Not surprising it applies to motherboards as well. Thank you guys. I'll post some pictures of it in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Kris your new rig is fuckin' awesome!