spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Double OH 7

join:2009-10-19

[HSI] Jitter & Packet loss all a sudden?!

We have been on a Charter connection for a couple years now and thus far have had little to no issues. Last year we had a problem with some of the cable boxes and DVR.. Technician came out and switched a connector (or something) on the line outside and it was fixed.

As a gamer I check my connection from time to time, especially before I play a game. The last couple of days we have had packet loss 1-5% ( not bad, but more than normal) and jitter. Local areas when testing are not as bad or not noticeable at all compared to say Chicago.

The above test is just a sample, sometimes it will only be the packet loss and other times it is packet loss, jitter and high ping.

Testing ping using cmd to google running at 4-8 minutes will result in 0-3% packet loss.

I had planned on calling Monday to have a technician sent out. I'm just trying to determine if this is something I can fix or not. I did noticed that the box on the side of our house does not seal properly. Could water in the line cause these results?

I have connected directly to the modem and these issues are still noticeable, although I noticed it is happening less ( or maybe I'm just thinking that it is). Signals on the modem appear normal.

This is a brand new issue and I do not believe many people have charter in my area so I don't think it's a congestion issue. The only thing that has changed from this period of time is we had a couple days where it got real warm, snow melted, the ground un-thawed and then it snowed and everything froze again.

Package = 100Mbps / 5 Mbps

Modem = Motorola SB6120

Router = Netgear 3500L

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2

You need to perform a "tracert" to one of your game server IP addresses in order to determine where any packet loss, jitter, etc. is actually happening. I doubt Charter will roll a truck just because you think so. The particular speed test site you used in your example is around 200 miles away from wherever you are and it's most likely not on Charters network.

Double OH 7

said by aguen:

You need to perform a "tracert" to one of your game server IP addresses in order to determine where any packet loss, jitter, etc. is actually happening. I doubt Charter will roll a truck just because you think so. The particular speed test site you used in your example is around 200 miles away from wherever you are and it's most likely not on Charters network.

To be honest I have yet to try and play any games with this current issue.. I decided to check my network quality before hand. I would be more than willing to pay for a truck roll because I would like to get to the bottom of this issue..

I will give it a day or two and contact Charter; I was just hoping someone on here might have an idea or suggestion.

^ My test to Adrian is normal sometimes at the moment... And rarely I get the one as above.

^ Normal (Adrian is as close as I can get to my location)

As for the previous Chicago test, I used that one because my normal test to that location is always good.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to Double OH 7

What I was trying to say and obviously unsuccessfully, is that the problem is most likely not at your house. Good luck.

megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO
Reviews:
·Charter

You may want to find where your nearest Charter speed test server is located (speedtest.charter.com) and do a DOS PING to it. This is generally one or two hops from you and is the best way to test to see if it's your local connection, Charter's network or something outside you have no control over.

Double OH 7

said by megarock:

You may want to find where your nearest Charter speed test server is located (speedtest.charter.com) and do a DOS PING to it. This is generally one or two hops from you and is the best way to test to see if it's your local connection, Charter's network or something outside you have no control over.

Thanks! I'm am almost certain (after more testing )that it is the router which is causing problems.

Connected directly to the modem I have no jitter and average ping, though testing to Chicago still yields packet loss and jitter ( must be them ).

Connected to the router via Ethernet yields occasional sporadic high ping with some jitter.

Connected to the router via wireless is close to garbage now..

Anyone have any idea if something could cause interference with a router that effects wired connections occasionally ( on top of wireless) ?