spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

James SoCal

@verizon.net

[DSL] Speed issues

As a long time DSL customer I am wondering what has happened. For a home in Long Beach, CA very close (1mi) to the CO the former top speed of 6/3 is now 1/0.328 & a Lakewood, CA home past end of loop offers 1.5/0.328 but can only, barely, achieve 1/0.328. Lakewood I understand due to the long loop involved but Long Beach, CA? Since the Long Beach, CA speed decrease happened about the time FIOS was introduced is there a restraint of trade issue here. Has Verizon dialed back the top end to drive more customers to them? With technology improving as it has year after year I can hardly think it is a true technical issue particularly since the higher speeds were available almost a decade ago over the same Verizon copper using older equipment than what is now available. Quantum speed is not needed at that location but 3/0.756 or higher would be very helpful when using VOIP & surfing at the same time. Any answers out there?

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:28
Nothing broad that would cause what you're describing, no. If your available speeds at a particular address are lower now, the most likely causes for that particular address are either the CO is full (so that specific connection has to be routed through an RT instead) or the circuit is being routed through a different path (giving you a longer looplength). If you sign up for this site (it's free) and send me a PM with your info, I can look into this for you.

BartmanLA

join:2001-12-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to James SoCal
Okay I got provisioned today, it went super fast, no glitches at all, well I don't think there is, I do have one issue I was hoping for super great speeds when downloading but no matter what method I use to download files ie. torrent or hosting company via a client like JDownloader, the fastest I am getting is about 1.75-1.90MB/s. Speedtest.net, DSLreports all test the line and get around 15MB/s download speed 900+Kbps up. Is there throttling on the line? I thought I was getting up to 20MB/s speed (I know I'm not getting the max but I was hoping for faster than 2MB/s with this upgrade, Nick, George any ideas or help? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me on this.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
There's a difference between Mbps and MB/s (8 Mbps = 1 MB/s). For more info, see »www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-dif···mbps.htm (or just do a Google search if you prefer).

BartmanLA

join:2001-12-02
Los Angeles, CA
OMG I can't believe I was interpreting it so wrong! Thanks Nick for clearing that up for me. I knew you guys wouldn't steer me wrong, I was just so excited about the increase I didn't convert Mb to MB in my download client! Thanks again for the great response, and all I can say is great job, the switch over was incredible, fast and literally had no downtime (other than for me to punch in the new IP in the router) and I was back up and zipping along, even the phone was seamless and I didn't even notice it had changed! Thanks again for all you guys do! The savings I will get from this new service is very much appreciated!

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
You're very welcome