uniqs
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

[WIN8] Pretty sad...

I have been having some weird problems with Windows 8 updates breaking things on and off. I just recently got past a weird rebooting cycle as I couldn't ever get my update/restart to work properly.

So I'm typing this from a DVD-loaded Ubuntu 12.10 (run from the disk, not a permanent install... yet...), and it instantly detected and loaded my wireless mouse (which is made by Microsoft!!!) that was broken with a recent update. It also detected my HP AIO printer wirelessly, and recommended the correct drivers for scanning and printing wirelessly over my home network. I am far more impressed with Ubuntu at this point than I am with Windows.

After also looking into some of the more serious MS security issues, and given my difficulties with drivers (with even MS's own products)... I am tempted to wipe this puppy clean and install Linux. I actually thought Metro was pretty slick... but it's just not working out with my hardware... and I'm starting to question MS's coding quality with Win8.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I can't speak to the microsoft drivers, but you may have other issues going on. The quality if the hardware drivers, and the software you load on it can change the stability of the os drastically.

Nix is not without it's own issues, and if you thought you had limited support for windows, nix has almost no real support. Nix thought my wireless mouse, and keyboard transceiver was a standard bluetooth transceiver preventing my keyboard and mouse from working until I had to manually edit some files with another set of hardware. For most advanced hardware there is no official software, or support in nix. The grass is not always greener. If you like ubuntu you might try Mint also, at least I didn't care for the ui in ubuntu, and Mint has multiple options for the ui.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

I don't really have exotic needs for my system. I've been looking at Ubuntu not only for decktop use, but also for mobile phones and tablets, and it looks pretty interesting. Seems Ubuntu is pretty heavily backed by Canonical (and Shuttlesworth, of course). But I agree... nothing is a panacea. I used to be an Apple guy, until they just got out of control with their desire to extract cash from your wallet. Windows 7 was pretty good actually... and I was uber-impressed at first with Win8... until these updates that have just been awful. And this is a Lenovo G770 laptop, not some no name knockoff cheapie.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look, but I think Ubuntu has some muscle behind it (and some products potentially in the pipeline) that make it attractive. If I end up jumping ship from MS, it'll most likely be to Ubuntu.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Well on every windows system I've had unless there was a hardware, or usb issue the default mouse drivers worked for basic functionality if you're trying to use the intellipoint software. You could remove intellipoint, or possibly try to reinstall the intellipoint.

Well if you want to expand on what you tried somebody might be able to help you.

I've seen some windows game software include a copy protection rootkit that wouldn't remove itself even if you uninstalled the software, and it caused such serious system instability the game was unplayable. After the non-malicious rootkit was removed the system returned to normal, but they did they made it so it survived system restore also. They actually made it so the admin had to manually give themselves permission again to remove the files, and entries to have it removed, something you would only expect of nasty malware.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

I think IntelliPoint was replaced by "MS Mouse and Keyboard Center" or something like that in one of those updates. Total garbage as far as I'm concerned..

..and I'm not a gamer and I don't install/uninstall lots of software. I use a few programs really: Web browser, Office, Quicken, Media player... that's about it really. Maybe Picasa once in a while. It's the updates that are either poorly coded or something...

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I am tempted to wipe this puppy clean and install Linux.

Cool! See you over at »Unix and Linux

I run Linux (CentOS and Ubuntu), Windows 7 & 8, OS X, Android, iOS, and WP8 at my house. They're all great, and they all suck at various times.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo

said by JohnInSJ:

They're all great, and they all suck at various times.

Haha... Yeah, that seems to be the nature of things. Nothing is perfect. I dual boot Win 7 x64 and Ubuntu x64 myself. So far, a pretty solid best of both worlds for me...

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I have been running Windows 8 since the week after release of the RTM and finally yesterday I just had enough and paved the system and went back to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

I had ran into issues a few times where Windows update broke my graphics driver for my HD 7850 twice...two times it completely borked AMD Catalyst that was working fine prior.

That being bad enough, on 2 separate occasions Windows Update also broke my AMD USB 3.0 drivers, so i had to uninstall and re-install my chipset drivers.... talking about annoying.

At various times Windows 8 would hang on shutdown even after disabling Fast Boot and Hibernation...it would still do it.

This is a machine I built my self, diagnostic tests from the board manufacturer and MEMTESTS shows no issues with my hardware. It just may be that Windows 8 just doesn't like my hardware which is a real possibility.

I wasn't a big fan of Metro, I knew how to use it, but on a Mouse and Keyboard it just seems counter-intuitive...im sure the interface is fantastic on a touch screen or a tablet though...not going to knock that, but with a keyboard and mouse it just makes no sense...thats why i was using Classic Shell.

A few takeaways:

1. I didn't realize how much i missed Windows Aero. Wow, Windows 8 is ugly in comparison...with its flat, lifeless Windows you remember from the Windows 3.1 days...its just ugly.

2. Its nice to have a 3d Accelerated Desktop again with Windows Aero. It just makes the desktop seem so much more alive and vibrant.

3. My system no longer loads a User Interface that sits in the background that I would never use on a Desktop(Metro) so the system seems a bit snappier at times.

I am not bashing Windows 8 though, I think the issue for me was just mainly the hardware. the hardware in this rig was all optimized and built for Windows 7 with Windows 7 Logo program, and according to manufacturer, Windows 8 is not an approved OS for this motherboard so that could be what was causing the issues.

Perhaps its for the best though, because I didn't realize how much I missed Windows 7 until last night.