join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

Re: Silverlight plugin crashes.

Chrome Version 25.0.1364.172 m
Silverlight - Version: 5.1.20125.0
MSIE 10.0.9200.16521 (Recent updated, problem existed on MSIE9 too)

I uninstalled using the Silverlight.diagcab as per Microsoft's support site, and then installed using your link, problem remained. I then decided to let the diagcab both uninstall and install that way it would diagnose the install, problem remained. And just to be clear, I have tried:

Uninstalling AV
New GPU
All MS updates
All browsers and plugins up to date.
Other Silverlight works (IE Netflix)
Effects all browsers on PC
Works fine on laptop. (Same OS)
Has never work on desktop.

Is there anyway to dig deeper into the logs to find out exactly what is causing the crash? My next step is a Linux bootCD, but I think that will work fine, and not really help tell me where the problem is. My gut is telling me its something to do with the DRM mechanism Silverlight uses and how its passing that info through Flash which another part of the site uses. Has anyone heard of anything like that before?

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Well I was hoping to see an older silverlight version there

Any chance you have netflix? If you do does it crash on netflix as well?

One thing I would do (and I'm sure you have tried but worth a try again) goto chrome://settings/ click advanced Click content settings, click all cookies and site data, and search for Starz and delete all those cookies, then search for you cable/sat providers name and clear all those cookies.

Then right click on any silverlight plugin and choose "Silverlight" then click the "Application Storage" tab and clear all those.

Worth a try anyway, good luck!

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Optimus2357

to Optimus2357
said by Optimus2357:

Is there anyway to dig deeper into the logs to find out exactly what is causing the crash?

I'm not sure what logs exist, but you can try installing a free version of visual studio (either 2010 or 2012) and try to use that for debugging. It has a somewhat (?!) steep learning curve, however.

BTW, I tried to watch something on that site -- it forced me to install a newer version of Silverlight, but afterwards, I was able to watch some trailers. (WinXP & Firefox/Chrome)

I have a feeling that Silverlight relies heavily on .Net components, and they could be screwed up.

Personally, if not too much of a hassle, I'd just do a clean install of Windoze.

BTW, what is "OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48"? Vista or 7?

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

said by aurgathor:

I have a feeling that Silverlight relies heavily on .Net components, and they could be screwed up.

BTW, what is "OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48"? Vista or 7?

Yea, thats what I was afraid of. I always seem to have issues with .net Frame work eventually. I don't know if its packages being installed along with some of the open source software I use or that I have this craving to keep my PC constantly up to date and some of those .net updates are buggy. I guess I will throw in the towel. I really don't even watch the site that much, it was just the fact I couldn't get it to work. Was bugging me.

To answer your other question, I have Windows 7. I would never let Vista touch my system. And I could reinstall, I was thinking about that, but I try to minimize the reads/writes since I have a SSD.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Case closed.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

If only Microsoft didn't 'bake' .NET Framework into Windows starting with Vista. Never installed it on my XP SP3 machines and they run a bit quicker without it.