Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Walter Dnes

join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON
reply to rogersmogers

Re: [Weather] March 18-21 Storm

Looks like the GTA will get a few cm of snow, with some rain and pellets mixed in. Ottawa could get...

•what would be considered a major dump by Torontonians
•what would be considered an average snowfall event by Ottawans

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
said by Walter Dnes:

Looks like the GTA will get a few cm of snow, with some rain and pellets mixed in. Ottawa could get...

•what would be considered a major dump an event worthy of calling in the army by Torontonians
•what would be considered an average snowfall event by Ottawans

Fixed.

That said, I'm a person that enjoys winter but this will be the third 20+cm snowfall in four weeks and we've got LOTS of snow on the ground at the moment. It'll be good for farmers and the water table after last year (virtually no snow and then 90+ days of drought last summer) but it's getting old.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to rogersmogers
Excellent - I've got to be on a Toronto rooftop at 5:30 tomorrow morning to work on a generator... Great timing for a "late winter storm" to roll in.

Good thing I haven't put my woolies away yet...

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to rogersmogers
Winter Storm Warning for the southern WNY tiers, but probably pretty uneventful for the rest of WNY.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
To me it looks like everything is sliding south of Lake ontario, how are we expecting 5cm overnight in Toronto from this?

»radar.weather.gov/Conus/Loop/NatLoop.gif
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
from Brett Anderson, accuweather.com

"Light precipitation has worked up into parts of southwestern Ontario at this time. As of 1:30 pm there was drizzle at Windsor, light rain/freezing rain in Sarnia and sleet in London.

Dry air ahead of the storm has delayed the start time in many areas, especially across Pennsylvania.

I do not have any significant changes for most of Ontario in terms of snowfall and type from what I discussed yesterday.

Again, the best snowfall will be across southern Quebec and then across Maine and into New Brunswick.

Snow will likely turn to a mix across a large part of Nova Scotia, but not before a small accumulation. Mostly rain across the far southwest corner of Nova Scotia after it starts as snow."

Just looking at last years data, we were 20 C on the 18th of March 2012 and 22C on the 19th !! both records

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to rogersmogers
Snowing like the dickens right now here at the edge of the known universe.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to rogersmogers
I'd rather be back in the Caribbean.
F*ck this Sh*t.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

When did you move to Oakville?
--
Tom

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

The dickens you say?

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

said by Gone:

When did you move to Oakville?

I was thinking the same thing. Gone has some nerve suggesting Ft Erie is even in the known universe.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by peterboro:

I was thinking the same thing. Gone has some nerve suggesting Ft Erie is even in the known universe.

When they're bitching at the CBSA paying the taxes on their purchases after a trip to the other dimension called Buffalo, they realize quickly that Fort Erie is the edge.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to koira
It's clear by that shot from accuweather that God really does hate America.

Why is it that the US always has to do things larger than anyone else, including snow storms. What the hell?
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
I don't think it's that God hates America, rather the Americans only care about storms that effect them and therefore they wouldn't put out a pretty graphic like this if it was going to hit Northern Ontario.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to Gone
I don't know anyone who goes through Ft. Erie to get into the US from the GTA. Most of us go through Queenston or Niagara Falls.
--
Tom

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by TLS2000:

I don't know anyone who goes through Ft. Erie to get into the US from the GTA. Most of us go through Queenston or Niagara Falls.

Fort Erie is the busiest passenger traffic bridge between Canada and the US, so whether you know anyone or not is of no consequence because plenty do.

For what it's worth, only a moron from the GTA would ever use the QL or Rainbow (particularly the Rainbow) if they were going shopping in Buffalo, unless of course they enjoy paying higher bridge tolls, extra tolls at Grand Island and driving on surface streets through a city as delightful as Niagara Falls, NY.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
I usually go Queenston so he must know me.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by peterboro:

The NYSTA thanks you for your patronage.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

The NYSTA thanks you for your patronage.

Good to hear some singing teachers in New York appreciate my efforts.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

I don't know anyone who goes through Ft. Erie to get into the US from the GTA. Mostly it's the suckers who of us go through Queenston or Niagara Falls.

Fixed it for you.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by TLS2000:

Fort Erie is the busiest passenger traffic bridge between Canada and the US, so whether you know anyone or not is of no consequence because plenty do.

For what it's worth, only a moron from the GTA would ever use the QL or Rainbow (particularly the Rainbow) if they were going shopping in Buffalo, unless of course they enjoy paying higher bridge tolls, extra tolls at Grand Island and driving on surface streets through a city as delightful as Niagara Falls, NY.

You're underestimating the amount of Torontonians that go to the Niagara outlet mall. I usually cross over one way at Rainbow and the other at Peace, so the only get my toll once. Usually leave through Peace because they take EZ Pass.

Plus, everyone's GPS takes them over Queenston. Which in and of itself is a good reason to avoid that bridge like the plague.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Good to hear some singing teachers in New York appreciate my efforts.

If the New York State Thruway Authority employees sang to you when you pulled up to the Grand Island toll booths, it might actually make the trip worth it.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to corster
said by corster:

You're underestimating the amount of Torontonians that go to the Niagara outlet mall. I usually cross over one way at Rainbow and the other at Peace, so the only get my toll once. Usually leave through Peace because they take EZ Pass.
Plus, everyone's GPS takes them over Queenston. Which in and of itself is a good reason to avoid that bridge like the plague.

I'm not underestimating anything, the Peace Bridge is still busier than both the Rainbow and QL. The Peace Bridge just has much larger plazas on either side of the border so traffic gets through quicker than at the QL despite less lanes on the bridge and heavier traffic.

And yeah, the whole GPS thing is stupid when going to Buffalo. As I said, the NYSTA thanks Toronto for their ongoing patronage spending money that they don't have to. The Niagara Falls bridges are more expensive, too.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to rogersmogers
It started snowing in Toronto but more wind than snow.
It was severe between Syracuse and Rochester...yesterday early morning.

FckthisSht

@videotron.ca
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

F*ck this Sh*t.

4 neighbours next to me:

1, had an operation, asked me to do his driveway
2. Another hurt his shoulder at work, can't lift, asked me to do his driveway.
3. Another across the street left for vacation. Asked me to do his driveway (he has two of them)
4. Another guy who is like 80 asked if I could help him when it falls.

That's 5 driveways. 6 if I count my own. Not including walkways.

I'm going to go buy a nitro patch and a plot now. This is supposed to last 2-3 days? Not counting what the plow will pile up?

Think I better buy a box of nitro patches.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
I'm telling my wife to start doing some stretches.
What can I say? She loves to shovel.
I may help her out this time.
--
~ Project Hope ~

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to FckthisSht
said by FckthisSht :

said by EUS:

F*ck this Sh*t.

4 neighbours next to me:

1, had an operation, asked me to do his driveway
2. Another hurt his shoulder at work, can't lift, asked me to do his driveway.
3. Another across the street left for vacation. Asked me to do his driveway (he has two of them)
4. Another guy who is like 80 asked if I could help him when it falls.

That's 5 driveways. 6 if I count my own. Not including walkways.

I'm going to go buy a nitro patch and a plot now. This is supposed to last 2-3 days? Not counting what the plow will pile up?

Think I better buy a box of nitro patches.

Last big wet snow here, I kept a few neighbors walks and drives clear with my machine. Elders so more than ever I don't mind. One lady bought me a case of beer. So you need to share my success story with your locals.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

I'm telling my wife to start doing some stretches.
What can I say? She loves to shovel.
I may help her out this time.

It is good exercise!

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to corster
said by corster:

You're underestimating the amount of Torontonians that go to the Niagara outlet mall.[

There's always more Canadian license plates there than Americans. I was there one Sunday and I saw maybe a couple American plates and the parking lot was rammed as always.

said by corster:

Usually leave through Peace because they take EZ Pass.

Why not use the lower bridge? There's never a wait there.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by urbanriot:

Why not use the lower bridge? There's never a wait there.

The lower bridge is a pain in the ass because they don't take E-ZPass and you need to refill your Nexus card in that dank kiosk right near the US Nexus processing centre, and I'm not up there often enough to drop $20 using a credit card for tolls. Often times I'll cross into NFNY using the lower bridge but then take the Thruway back to Buffalo and cross into Fort Erie using the Peace Bridge.

There are also occasional waits on busy weekends. A few weeks ago I crossed and both directions of the bridge were jammed, including people lined up back to the Parkway through that little queuing area they have before the gate. Took about 10-15 minutes to get through.