peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to TLS2000

to TLS2000

Re: [Weather] March 18-21 Storm

said by TLS2000:

said by Gone:

Snowing like the dickens right now here at the edge of the known universe.

When did you move to Oakville?

I was thinking the same thing. Gone has some nerve suggesting Ft Erie is even in the known universe.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

I was thinking the same thing. Gone has some nerve suggesting Ft Erie is even in the known universe.

When they're bitching at the CBSA paying the taxes on their purchases after a trip to the other dimension called Buffalo, they realize quickly that Fort Erie is the edge.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to koira

Premium Member

to koira
It's clear by that shot from accuweather that God really does hate America.

Why is it that the US always has to do things larger than anyone else, including snow storms. What the hell?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I don't think it's that God hates America, rather the Americans only care about storms that effect them and therefore they wouldn't put out a pretty graphic like this if it was going to hit Northern Ontario.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I don't know anyone who goes through Ft. Erie to get into the US from the GTA. Most of us go through Queenston or Niagara Falls.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by TLS2000:

I don't know anyone who goes through Ft. Erie to get into the US from the GTA. Most of us go through Queenston or Niagara Falls.

Fort Erie is the busiest passenger traffic bridge between Canada and the US, so whether you know anyone or not is of no consequence because plenty do.

For what it's worth, only a moron from the GTA would ever use the QL or Rainbow (particularly the Rainbow) if they were going shopping in Buffalo, unless of course they enjoy paying higher bridge tolls, extra tolls at Grand Island and driving on surface streets through a city as delightful as Niagara Falls, NY.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I usually go Queenston so he must know me.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

The NYSTA thanks you for your patronage.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Gone:

said by peterboro:

The NYSTA thanks you for your patronage.

Good to hear some singing teachers in New York appreciate my efforts.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

I don't know anyone who goes through Ft. Erie to get into the US from the GTA. Mostly it's the suckers who of us go through Queenston or Niagara Falls.

Fixed it for you.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by TLS2000:

Fort Erie is the busiest passenger traffic bridge between Canada and the US, so whether you know anyone or not is of no consequence because plenty do.

For what it's worth, only a moron from the GTA would ever use the QL or Rainbow (particularly the Rainbow) if they were going shopping in Buffalo, unless of course they enjoy paying higher bridge tolls, extra tolls at Grand Island and driving on surface streets through a city as delightful as Niagara Falls, NY.

You're underestimating the amount of Torontonians that go to the Niagara outlet mall. I usually cross over one way at Rainbow and the other at Peace, so the only get my toll once. Usually leave through Peace because they take EZ Pass.

Plus, everyone's GPS takes them over Queenston. Which in and of itself is a good reason to avoid that bridge like the plague.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Good to hear some singing teachers in New York appreciate my efforts.

If the New York State Thruway Authority employees sang to you when you pulled up to the Grand Island toll booths, it might actually make the trip worth it.
Gone

Gone to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by corster:

You're underestimating the amount of Torontonians that go to the Niagara outlet mall. I usually cross over one way at Rainbow and the other at Peace, so the only get my toll once. Usually leave through Peace because they take EZ Pass.
Plus, everyone's GPS takes them over Queenston. Which in and of itself is a good reason to avoid that bridge like the plague.

I'm not underestimating anything, the Peace Bridge is still busier than both the Rainbow and QL. The Peace Bridge just has much larger plazas on either side of the border so traffic gets through quicker than at the QL despite less lanes on the bridge and heavier traffic.

And yeah, the whole GPS thing is stupid when going to Buffalo. As I said, the NYSTA thanks Toronto for their ongoing patronage spending money that they don't have to. The Niagara Falls bridges are more expensive, too.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to rogersmogers

to rogersmogers
It started snowing in Toronto but more wind than snow.
It was severe between Syracuse and Rochester...yesterday early morning.

FckthisSht
@videotron.ca

FckthisSht to EUS

Anon

to EUS
said by EUS:

F*ck this Sh*t.

4 neighbours next to me:

1, had an operation, asked me to do his driveway
2. Another hurt his shoulder at work, can't lift, asked me to do his driveway.
3. Another across the street left for vacation. Asked me to do his driveway (he has two of them)
4. Another guy who is like 80 asked if I could help him when it falls.

That's 5 driveways. 6 if I count my own. Not including walkways.

I'm going to go buy a nitro patch and a plot now. This is supposed to last 2-3 days? Not counting what the plow will pile up?

Think I better buy a box of nitro patches.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

I'm telling my wife to start doing some stretches.
What can I say? She loves to shovel.
I may help her out this time.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to FckthisSht

Premium Member

to FckthisSht
said by FckthisSht :

said by EUS:

F*ck this Sh*t.

4 neighbours next to me:

3. Another across the street left for vacation. Asked me to do his driveway (he has two of them)

I'm going to go buy a nitro patch and a plot now. This is supposed to last 2-3 days? Not counting what the plow will pile up?

Last big wet snow here, I kept a few neighbors walks and drives clear with my machine. Elders so more than ever I don't mind. One lady bought me a case of beer. So you need to share my success story with your locals.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

I'm telling my wife to start doing some stretches.
What can I say? She loves to shovel.
I may help her out this time.

It is good exercise!

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by corster:

You're underestimating the amount of Torontonians that go to the Niagara outlet mall.[

There's always more Canadian license plates there than Americans. I was there one Sunday and I saw maybe a couple American plates and the parking lot was rammed as always.
said by corster:

Usually leave through Peace because they take EZ Pass.

Why not use the lower bridge? There's never a wait there.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Why not use the lower bridge? There's never a wait there.

The lower bridge is a pain in the ass because they don't take E-ZPass and you need to refill your Nexus card in that dank kiosk right near the US Nexus processing centre, and I'm not up there often enough to drop $20 using a credit card for tolls. Often times I'll cross into NFNY using the lower bridge but then take the Thruway back to Buffalo and cross into Fort Erie using the Peace Bridge.

There are also occasional waits on busy weekends. A few weeks ago I crossed and both directions of the bridge were jammed, including people lined up back to the Parkway through that little queuing area they have before the gate. Took about 10-15 minutes to get through.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

I don't think it's that God hates America, rather the Americans only care about storms that effect them and therefore they wouldn't put out a pretty graphic like this if it was going to hit Northern Ontario.

No...you're wrong. America always gets hit with bigger storms than Canada. Just look at Buffalo, they get way more snow that Fort Erie. It's the exact opposite to what Hollywood portrays Canada. Fort Erie get's 181cm of snow per year, 244cm for Buffalo. You guys are what, 10 minutes away from each other?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by J E F F4:

Just look at Buffalo, they get way more snow that Fort Erie.

Buffalo gets an average of 230cm of snow per year. Fort Erie gets 181cm. Owen Sound, for what it's worth, gets an average of 347cm per year.

So much for "way more."

If you knew the geography of Buffalo or anything about lake effect snow, you wouldn't ask such silly questions regarding distance which, by the way, is 0 minutes, not 10. We do share a border, you know.

Canada has lots of wide-open barren areas where no one lives, particularly in the north. While there's always someone who lives somewhere in the United States to complain when a metre of snow falls on their house, three metres could fall over somewhere in Canada and no one would really care.

FckthisSht
@videotron.ca

FckthisSht to koira

Anon

to koira
said by koira:

said by FckthisSht :

said by EUS:

F*ck this Sh*t.

4 neighbours next to me:

Last big wet snow here, I kept a few neighbors walks and drives clear with my machine. Elders so more than ever I don't mind. One lady bought me a case of beer. So you need to share my success story with your locals.

Yeah a few years back I was out of the game, just like they are due to the ol ticker giving out. Much to my surprise (and I have no clue how they knew), these people insisted that I lift nothing and instead did mine. I paid them over and above for the break and kindness.

My turn to return favour. Gotten grin and bare it. But all of them at once. *phew* I'll push myself and do what I can. If I don't drop dead then I live another day for Gone and I to troll and flame each other

6-am sharp for the guy who had the operation. He is so finicky/picky that the blacktop has to show before his newspaper delivery guy get there at 7-am so it doesn't leave compressed tire marks in the snow. No snow-blower allowed in his driveway. He disapproves of them. So that one has to be done by hand 6-am sharp, or he gets cranky.

The neighbour who left for vacation left me his 24-inch blower. But that doesn't do wet snow. Not strong enough. Tosses it a couple of feet at most, and won't do any slush. So I am praying for no wet snow. If it is, then all have to be done by hand.

If you don't see me cursing and bitching about 6 or more driveways here tomorrow, light a candle for me...

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
Well..10 minutes from city hall to city hall.

It just *seems* like they get belted with bigger storms than Canada.

1 cancelation this year. 1.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I can drive to Buffalo, fill my tank with gas and be home in less than 20 minutes, including stops at customs both ways. I can walk to the border in about ten minutes.

But now back to the issue... the only reason it "seems" like the Americans get belted with bigger storms than Canada is for exactly the reason I outlined above. This is particularly the case when one considers that a large chunk of Canada's population (and indeed, a large chunk of this large chunk thinks they're the only thing that matters in Canada with everywhere else simply not existing) lives in Southern Ontario and we aren't exactly prone to extreme weather. Being surrounded on three sides by large bodies of fresh water has a way of moderating things.

But yeah, Buffalo gets sooooooo much snow... ask DKS about that.
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes

said by Gone:

But yeah, Buffalo gets sooooooo much snow... ask DKS about that.

Geography, plain and simple...

•Lake effect snow is caused by COLD AIR over open water.
•In our part of the world, cold air comes from the north or northwest
•After a low passes us and heads east, the counterclockwise circulation pulls cold air from the north(west) towards the south
•the cold air passes over Lake Ontario, and drops snow on Buffalo, and the south shore of Lake Ontario in general
•Winds from the south tend to be warmer (dohhhh) so when they pass over Lake Ontario, and then Toronto, we don't get lake effect snow unless temperatures are REALLY cold
•"The Snow Belt" in Ontario is the area immediately to the south and southeast of lake Huron and Georgian Bay. Same effect as the south shore of Lake Ontario

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone

Premium Member

Click for full size
Southwesterly Winds
Buffalo's big lake effect events are fueled by winds from the west and southwest, not north and northwest. Ski country well to the south of Buffalo are the ones hit by northwest winds.

Those southwesterly winds tend to make for really really nasty lake effect events because of just how moist the air is.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to rogersmogers

Premium Member

to rogersmogers
So is this event still a storm? In fact is it even an event?

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

Maybe not in the centre of the universe... but I know I had a fun time driving into work this morning

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by corster:

said by donoreo:

Maybe not in the centre of the universe... but I know I had a fun time driving into work this morning

You guys were supposed to get more anyway.