join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Paint/Clearcoat peeling?

Click for full size
Click for full size
ok, 1994 Corolla. It looks like the clear coat is peeling a bit...

Is there anyway to remove it/made it better without painting the entire car? I just want to spruce it up as much as I can.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Short answer - no.

clevere1
Premium
Vancouver, WA
said by Cho Baka:

Short answer - no.

damn
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
If you are not planning on repainting it then I would try some of the modern "wax" treatments. That will probably lessen the visual.

clevere1
Premium
Vancouver, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by robbin:

If you are not planning on repainting it then I would try some of the modern "wax" treatments. That will probably lessen the visual.

Thanks!
--

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to clevere1
That is clear coat failure at its finest. Nothing is going to solve that issue short of sanding and repainting. Something may cover it up a little but as soon as it dries you will be able to see it again.

hurfy
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA
reply to clevere1
I had some peeling where a repaired panel met the original paint. I sanded it a bit and did light repaint. Not real good, nor perfect match and i needed another finer sanding pass but it got rid of the white that was drawing attn to it which was my goal

I used a repair type wax afterwards a couple times. It looks much less jarring now. At least you can't see the bad paint a block away Certainly better looking than the white peeling stuff on a black car, ugh.

Gemstone
Premium
join:2000-12-20
Long Island
reply to clevere1
I had similar clearcoat failure on the hood of my 2001 Impala... All of the "band aid" fixes didn't work and I tried them all... I didn't want to go for a complete re-paint of the car so I took a chance at a local Maaco shop and had him sand, color match and repaint the hood and blend into the upper front fenders... I would not normally go to a Maaco for body & paint work, but for an inexpensive price he did a very good job... Cost me about $350 for what I described and the car looks good... I'm still driving it as my daily commuter car...
--
Go Mark Martin!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to clevere1

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to robbin
said by robbin:

Wax is a clear coat protectant. There's no clear coat there to protect. lol

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
said by Ghastlyone:

said by robbin:

Wax is a clear coat protectant. There's no clear coat there to protect. lol

It will also help to brighten the base coat to maybe help with the overall appearance. That is the only thing cheap to do if not going to re-paint.