All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
AnonEEMouse
join:2013-02-27

1 edit

AnonEEMouse

Re: Safety gas tank nearly blew up

Jeez, I didn't destroy the can with the shovel, I just used it to press down the handle and let the gas out.

I may have overreacted but I was not aware the gas cans could hold that much pressure, the entire time I had memories from my child hood of a basketball exploding but this time with a gas can! It was unreal how much the can had expanded, the sides were much more puffed out than they were at the time I took the photo.

The can was not full at all, it had about half a tank, however I did add some fuel stabilizer/conditioner so maybe that had something to do with it but I'm not sure.

I left it out in the sun today (with the lid off, empty) and it's pretty much back to its original shape and I'm gathering from the posts it's still safe to use.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by AnonEEMouse:

Jeez, I didn't destroy the can with the shovel, I just used it to press down the handle and let the gas out.

I may have overreacted but I was not aware the gas cans could hold that much pressure

Glad to hear that. I may have overreacted to your bagging and shoveling of the can also. The fact that the can wasn't full could have something to do with it. It seems like my cans expand more when they aren't full as there is more area for gas. I will make a guess here that although the can holds pressure really well, it may not do the same with a vacuum. In other words, if it sat in the shed over the winter and the temp got cold condensing the fuel and gas, it could have allowed air to enter and then when the temps warmed up that added to the pressurization of the can.
AnonEEMouse
join:2013-02-27

AnonEEMouse

I believe that's exactly it. The can was about half full and it was about 40f during the night then about 85f the next day. I bet the large swing had something to do with more gas vapors forming in the tank.

It's never done this before - that was what perplexed me! I've seen it both puffed up and vacuumed down, but it never was anything of a concern, however this time it looked like a blow-fish!