share rss forum feed

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to Ostracus

Re: The roof leak saga.

No, you can't use the SunTuff panels on a regular roof. That's not what they are made for. I have installed them before and the requirements make a proper installation difficult. You would not want to do an entire roof with it.

Ostracus

join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY

OK? So I guess I'm failing to understand how it's a solution to my problem, then?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Ostracus

Those panels aren't meant for this application... Think covered deck/porch; not house.

There are steel and aluminum options that look somewhat similar; but are meant for actual roofing installs... The can go over the existing (usually installing sleepers or framing in between) - but given the poor shape of the existing; I'd suggest stripping it, and dealing with the structural issues first.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Ostracus

You could put a galvanized roof instead of the polycarbonate but I don't think it will solve your problem. Your pic was lousy and you really didn't show in detail the areas that are leaking.

To fix your problem, you need to find the cause of the leaks and fix those areas.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to Ostracus

said by Ostracus:

That's actually an interesting idea. Two things, could it be installed over a preexisting roof, and the other is how to deal with the cap?

This company is located in VA and provide quite detailed instructions and photos for installing their Ondura Roof panels over old shingles.
»www.ondura.com/reroofing.asp

"Ridgeline" cap/vent system for same company:
»www.tallantinc.com/ridgeline/ridgeline.asp

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Ostracus

said by Ostracus:

That's actually an interesting idea. Two things, could it be installed over a preexisting roof, and the other is how to deal with the cap?

I would suggest based upon this comment, you don't add anything over what is already there.

Heh, I know the picture isn't the best (and yes the structure underneath has issues)

It isn't going to be inexpensive but you need a full teardown, solve the problems with and below deck and then re-roof.
Expand your moderator at work