Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to robbin

Re: Well Water Black Metal Question

said by robbin:

Yeah -- I've looked that up also. Strange thing is I remember playing with my etch a sketch with a magnet when I was little. This would have been one of the original ones in the early sixties. I remember it acting as though it was extremely attracted by magnetism. I remember the particles lining up and even being attracted to each other to form "wiskers" around the magnet. Hmmm

I think where they said etch-a-sketch, they might have really meant magna-doodle.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etchasketch has aluminum powder that is scraped from the backside of a glass "screen" by an internal stylus moved via two knobs.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Doodle has "dark magnetic particles" (maybe magnetite?) which are pulled to the face of a translucent white honeycomb cellular screen by a magnetized stylus.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Possible, but I didn't have a magna-doodle. I vividly remember my etch-a-sketch reacting strongly to a magnet. I wonder if it's still in mom's attic somewhere.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara

That's odd, not sure why an etch-a-sketch would have magnetite in it. Mine is long gone, so I can't check it out.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

They probably never did. I should have trimmed that part out of my original quote. My purpose of the quote was twofold. One being that magnetite doesn't rust and two being that it is attracted to magnets. The etch-a-sketch part just triggered something in my memory from about 50 years ago that I haven't thought of in a long time. Now it makes me wonder if I am remembering correctly and if so why the etch-a-sketch would respond to a magnet. Totally off topic for this thread anyways.