MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

1 recommendation

ironwalker to devolic

MVM

to devolic

Re: Firewalls

Software firewalls are great for monitoring what programs and os parts want to call out. Being able to see these details and block accordingly is why I use a software firewall.

firewall
@comcast.net

firewall

Anon

said by ironwalker:

Software firewalls are great for monitoring what programs and os parts want to call out. Being able to see these details and block accordingly is why I use a software firewall.

Beyond the Windows firewall, for most average users I think they just cause paranoia and worry. Every single outgoing request needing to be dealt with, and triggers and rules. Even high knowledge users get tripped up:

"Oh, why is such and such process wanting to connect? What is IP X.X.X.X? Is it malicious? Am I infected with something?" Then do research, while growing increasingly paranoid, to find out it's a normal Windows process trying to update the time or check for updates or something harmless like that.

That's all I ever got out of the things at least! If malware gets on the computer then you're screwed anyway. Not to mention the malware is probably operating under a completely innocuous sounding process name anyway. Maybe it is injected into a legitimate Windows process, which won't look unusual when it's trying to connect out.

Anyhow just my thoughts. I still recommend to the OP Kerio 2.1.5 !

red2
@fastwebnet.it

red2

Anon

Several years ago many here recommended Kerio 2.15. However, with recent windows updates, the Kerio driver started causing problems for many of us (continual BSODs). My wife is still using it on her system and has no issues, but it caused me problems so I had to abandon it.

So my suggestion would be to try it, but if you experience any issues, it is likely that the Kerio driver is the cause. And as the development of the program stopped, there is no solution.