Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mouse
Premium
join:2007-03-29
australia

[Spam] catch all account and spam filtering

nowadays it's so easy to buy a domain name and have unlimited email accounts against that. So if i buy something from a merchant or register something, I can create an account specific to that merchant and monitor if I later get spam (from third parties) to that address. If I use a catch-all account I don't even have to create the account beforehand but can just provide an instant email address xyz@mydomain and any emails will automatically get into that catch-all account. While this seems to be a practical way to provide specific email addresses without the hassle of setting them up beforehand, is it likely that before long the catch-all account will receive lots of spam other than the addresses I have given out? What I wonder re catch-all is if some spam is just being sent to any possible word under the sky @my domain?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

A domain catch-all is going to be inundated with spam rather quickly if any of your addresses get spam. If you mean a designated account for certain purposes like all shopping or all bills, randomness in the address is essential to keeping spam away from it. Something like 1999.space-koenig.20120318 will get little or no spam unless/until someone sells it or their address book is compromised; an address like space-koenig will probably get garbage sooner rather than later.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

mouse
Premium
australia

thanks for clearing this up

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to mouse

Catch all is a nice option, but you will definitely get spam. One of my domains has been getting hammered by what looks like scripted spam addressing, c875289@mydomain.com for example. Not addresses I have handed out, just random numbers and letters, but they all end up in the catch all account. So you definitely dont want to use the catch all as your primary account.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

mouse
Premium
australia

Interesting - I had not considered this. So what you are suggesting is to use a catch-all account for everything unimportant and accept that this account will get lots of spam too. I guess if you just have to provide an email address for registration or similar and may need to find a validation code, you can still find it in there.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

Either that, or be prepared to deal with spam. I just deal with the spam, as i think it is still worth the trouble.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to mouse

i actually go thru the trouble of creating specific accounts for specific things. the catch-all can be a handful unless you have time on your hands.
--
| map your city |

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

said by pcdebb:

i actually go thru the trouble of creating specific accounts for specific things. the catch-all can be a handful unless you have time on your hands.

Depending on your particular needs are, and what your service accommodates, creating account aliases versus actual pop mailbox accounts may work better. However, if you're using Gmail for business, the name of your actual mailbox is what appears in the "from" address regardless of what your mail client may be set to use. If their spam filtering wasn't so incredibly good, I would find a different provider.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5

I have a few of them setup as aliases, but a couple of them are actual accounts.
--
| map your city |

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to mouse

said by mouse:

is it likely that before long the catch-all account will receive lots of spam other than the addresses I have given out?

Yes, that's exactly what will happen. That and you'll get plenty of bounce-backs of rejections from people spoofing your domain.

I've been using yourcompany@mydomain.com since the late 90's and you'd be shocked at how many companies either a) resell their user lists to third party spammers or b) how many email databases leak / are hacked.

It works great though, basically create rules in your mail client to move email from various companies into their folders and at the end of the day all the spam will be in your inbox. After a few years you'll also observe some patterns and eventually block some yourcompany@mydomain.com and have them instead use yourcompany2@mydomain.com.

I have a few companies set to automatic deletion so I never see the related spam.

damn
Premium
join:2002-10-23
nyc
reply to mouse

I use catch-all extensively on Google Apps and rarely any spam gets through.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

Google Apps/Gmail spam filters are very effective & only getting better.
Mass mailers (spammers) will now run small test mailings to Gmail addresses of their own to see if their being flagged as spam prior to starting a large run.
They'll tweak the SMTP servers until they pass the filters but prior to the runs completion the filters pick it up & resume the flagging.

There has been a lot of wasted effort on the part of spammers because of the enhanced filters.
I fully expect at some point soon spammers will begin blacklisting Gmail accounts.