All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
scottp99
join:2010-12-11

scottp99

[HELP] Re:Cisco WRVS4400N / Bandwidth Upgrade Speed question

I am going to get upgraded to a broadband connection speed from 15 Mb/sec to 20 Mb/sec (I guess this would be download) from my ISP. And my ISP was asking me if my router (Cisco WRVS4400N Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router - VPN v2.0) can handle this speed or not.

So I dont know. Can someone please help me on this?

If I am posting this question the incorrect forum area, please move this topic to correct place if necessary.

Thanks
pearcy
join:2004-12-08
Chicago, IL

pearcy

Look at Performance in the first chart. It doesn't mention performance when IPS is turned on, but I did a little looking around and people are saying 20mbps is about all it can handle with IPS on. Pretty drastic change in performance.

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 737.html
scottp99

scottp99

Im thinking about disabling IPS anyways since Cisco does not seem to have their IPS signatures updated since AUG 2011.
»software.cisco.com/downl ··· e=latest

Can someone shed some light on this? I know its off-topic, but if they dont update the IPS signatures, then why bother leaving IPS enabled. Then at least I can have the avantage of having that bandwidth upgrade.

Thanks
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to scottp99

MVM

to scottp99
I'd start with checking SmallNet Builder to see what this piece of kit can do.

Also (and this is my personal opinion), unless you have a list of the IPS signatures the device is running,
and are running something that will be protected by the IPS, then you're just going to end up with
piss-poor performance, false-positives out the ying-yang and a MAJOR migrane.

My 00000010bits

Regards
scottp99

4 edits

scottp99

Im just afraid my router will be overloaded and loose great performance...So what the heck....I will just disable IPS as long as the Firewall is enabled and thats that. I do not want to take the "risk" UNLESS, I can say to my ISP that I want to back out of this upgrade plan.

So my ISP asked me (which was very nice of them) that will my router support this kind of speed from 15Mbps to 20Mbps. So again, with the IPS disabled, will this router handle it? Plus, I DO NOT have other machines on my network that communicates with the router, only this one. Thats it.

San Jose
@comcastbusiness.net

San Jose to scottp99

Anon

to scottp99
Disable the IPS functionality. The CPU in that router is nto capable of pushing the speeds you are able to get from your ISPs today. I long since retired that router when it was unable to keep up with 24Mbps AT&T U-Verse
scottp99

scottp99

Not capable???

How strange. This type of router is meant for small businesses not just for the average home user.

Anyway, I disabled IPS.

Thanks to all.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to scottp99

MVM

to scottp99
said by scottp99:

This type of router is meant for small businesses not just for the average home user.

Let's just say running anti-anything is CPU-intensive in the best of circumstances, and you've got a cheap,
puny SoC chip running everything on that one little box AND the IPS functions.

If you want a definitive answer to what this can do with IPS, I usually recomment wiring two PCs to this -- one
on the WAN interface and one on a LAN interface -- and running IPERF or similar to get a baseline.

My 00000010bits

Regards
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Actually, IPS is run on it's own CPU, but it's a seriously under powered one, too.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE

MVM

News to me cramer See Profile, was this in a datasheet somewhere?

Regards
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

dd-wrt discussions on supporting it. (and looking at the gpl bundle from linksys)
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE

MVM

Ahh, thanks for the clarification.

Regards