spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zrob_12

join:2009-01-17

How to reset NetEqualizer

I can't remember the password to the NetEqualizer I purchased a couple years back. I've contacted support on how to reset it and they want me to back-pay for a support contract (which I don't want to do) in order to receive instructions.

Does anyone know how to reset these to factory defaults?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
Are you the original owner?

zrob_12

Yes, I am the original owner

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
Well then, that is just bad customer service. It's not like you are asking for something extended or special.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to zrob_12
Unless the OP defaulted on the support contract and that is why they are asking for "back-pay"

zrob_12

I did not default on my original support contract, it simply ran out.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
Yeah, they only provide support if you have an active contract. Not sure what you mean by back-pay. My experience is that you just need to buy a new contract which would be good for a year.

I don't think there is any way to "reset" it without their help. Actually I don't know if they even have a way to reset it or if you just need to write a new CF. One thing -- did you change both passwords? There is a password for the web gui and also one when using secure shell or console to log in.

Since you had a contract, did you ever upgrade when they released a new version? If you still have a copy you could just write a new CF and start over with everything factory reset.

superdog
I Need A Drink
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

1 recommendation

reply to zrob_12
This is EXACTLY why I turned my Neteq box into a PFSense box a few years back. It works just as good without having to deal with jacka$$ support issues!

IMHO, asking you to pay for the default user name and password is LUDICROUS!!!
--
»www.wavecrazy.net

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
I'm just not sure it's as easy as resetting to default user name and password. Basically the NetEqualizer is a Linux box. When you log in as root and change the password doesn't that lock out a simple reset?

zrob_12

I'm going to do some more experimenting tonight. I just think its bs that they are requiring me to back-pay for support and was hoping someone had some experience with this...

WVNet

@98.142.42.x
reply to robbin
Yeah, shenanigans like this turn me off from using them as a solution. They're already wildly overpriced compared to a Cloud Core router and Butch Evan's script.

I am quite eager to see what Performant can do in this regard!

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to zrob_12
Please describe how they are asking you to backpay.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to WVNet
Yup...Butch's script can be very effect. Not sure what you mean by Cloud Core though.

Josh over on the UBNT forum works for Performant now.

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to zrob_12

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

reply to zrob_12
said by zrob_12:

I.. was hoping someone had some experience with this...

I've had a NetEqualizer running since before they sold them (Bandwidth Arbitrator on a CD). If you don't have any log in information for the device then I think this is the only option. You need the IMG file for the version of software that you have been running on your machine. Write it to a CF of the proper size using the appropriate program for your computer's operating system. Then install the CF in your NetEqualizer and log in using the default information. Next go to the final key tab and open it, type in the final key you were given by NetEqualizer for your machine. Now you have your NetEqualizer with factory default settings as shipped to you with the license installed for the bandwidth your machine is licensed for.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to zrob_12
Art should reconsider his policy with respect to long-term customer satisfaction and loyalty...especially on the 'minor' issues.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
reply to gunther_01
Never mind...My head was in a different time zone. I didn't even think Mikrotik. DUH!

zrob_12

Correction on this - I was not told that I needed to pay for back-support (I misread my email). I was told, however, that I must pay for support in order to have the password reset. Unfortunately, the unit no longer fits my needs, so I am choosing not to purchase a support contract.

Unfortunately, I do not have any backup or config files for the unit. I'm sure that I will eventually remember my old username/password combination.

(In case anyone wonders, I replaced my NetEqualizer with a cachebox from Appliansys and it has more than met my expectations)

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
said by zrob_12:

Correction on this - I was not told that I needed to pay for back-support (I misread my email). I was told, however, that I must pay for support in order to have the password reset.

That sounds more like it. However, what you are stating is still not quite correct. The support you are describing is their NSS (NetEqualizer Software and Support) subscription. NetEqualizer doesn't offer support for past versions of their software so what you would be doing is upgrading your unit to their latest software with the password reset.

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
reply to zrob_12
said by zrob_12:

(In case anyone wonders, I replaced my NetEqualizer with a cachebox from Appliansys and it has more than met my expectations)

Those cacheboxes are fking brilliant

thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16
reply to zrob_12
and roughly how much does a cachebox cost?

how does it control or shape bandwith?

zrob_12

I think I spent around $10k initially, but it has saved me much more in bandwith $.

The cachebox simply caches information from websites my customers visit...

thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16
reply to WHT
I had setup a new router and had not put Butch's script on it.

I would often see high upload from certain accounts.

Put the script on and its running very smoothly.

It would be nice to be able to cache popular sites like in pfsense

There has been talk but is anyone doing it with Mikrotik?

DSLbyAir
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-10
Ocean Springs, MS

1 recommendation

I too had bought a NE2000 box from Art for about 3k. It would only do 20Meg up/down. I called Art to see about getting the box reset because of the same issues everyone else had. I got the same a$$ response as everyone else. So I pulled out the POS C/flash card and installed a level 5 Mikrotik card it its place. It is now a Mikrotik QOS box with Butch's script running on it.

If you want a good QOS box... DO NOT buy NET-UNEQUALIZER!!! the support sucks more than wind!
--
Joe Miller
DSLbyAir, LLC
228-831-8881
www.dslbyair.com

Chele

join:2003-07-23
reply to zrob_12
I remember the good old days when you could just buy the software and not the appliance, I think we paid$180. Soon after that, almost overnight, it went to something like $1000---at that point it got too rich for my blood:(

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
reply to zrob_12
A simple cache for $10k?

You could do something similar for almost free with some flavour of *nix and squid.

True, you dont have someone to wave fingers and scream at when things go wrong.

zrob_12

$10k may seem steep, but it has saved me plenty and I don't have to do anything with it...it just works.

davidyoung

join:2010-01-27
Warwick, MA

1 recommendation

reply to zrob_12
I have the manual someplace at my office with an un-deployed NetEqualizer. You want the default password. I can look it up on Tuesday.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to zrob_12
said by zrob_12:

$10k may seem steep, but it has saved me plenty and I don't have to do anything with it...it just works.

My same take on our Barracuda spam filter. It's not cheap when you first look at it, but it's worth it's weight in gold.

Seen a lot of people complain about these, but it has saved our asses, repeatedly. It just works. When I need support, it's a little bit of nail-biting on the phone going through the gauntlet of opening a case etc etc when something is dead. But every time they've gone in remotely and done magic.

Some things may look expensive at first, but the price is well worth the Tylenol saved.

I looked at NetEQ years ago, and was instantly turned off for most of the reasons mentioned in the thread. Gimme a CCR/x86 with Butch's script any day.