uniqs
htin11
join:2000-08-10
Flushing, NY

htin11 to Dream Killer

to Dream Killer

Re: [Parts Check] Quickest failure?

said by Dream Killer:

Forgot to plug in CPU fan on an Athlon XP 1800+. Started it, saw an Epox motherboard logo, screen went blank.

In 1 second I went from extreme happiness to extreme depression seeing my creation come alive then rolling over and dying because my $200 processor just fried itself. For a dead broke college student, it was heartbreaking.

For me, it was the thunderbird tiny core cracking when i put and secure my large heatsink. The thunderbird CPU are so lousy, they didn't have that protective metal covering that amd and intel ships now. When i was putting my pc together, i didn't know i cracked the core until i started my new computer. All i smell was this burn smell, removed the heatsink see that the core was cracked. Had to wait about a week and 200 dollar down the drain.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY

Dream Killer

Premium Member

Ah yes, the heatspreader of the P4 set men and kids apart. I cheated and bought a shim.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Dream Killer:

Ah yes, the heatspreader of the P4 set men and kids apart. I cheated and bought a shim.

Same here,....

For my AMD CPUs and my Intel CPUs,.....

Also I was very, very, very careful with them,.....

BTW, I never lived installing a HSF with a flat head screwdriver. With the amount of force needed one slip and the motherboard would be toast,....burnt toast,....

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

BTW, I never lived installing a HSF with a flat head screwdriver. With the amount of force needed one slip and the motherboard would be toast,....burnt toast,....

Yeah pretty nerve-wracking how hard you had to push on some of those.

The mobo designers were generally good about not putting anything sensitive right under there though, no signal traces. I recall I slipped once and made a nice scratch but it was fine.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed to htin11

MVM

to htin11
I never understood why it was so hard not to break the core... Attach the one side (usually closest to the top edge of motherboard) and then with one finger - press straight down in the middle of the fan and attach the clip by what ever means.

Never came close to breaking the core and did not need to have a lot of pressure to hold the hsf down. By pressing on the middle of the fan - that put any pressure straight on the core - right in the middle of it.

I have a feeling those cores were exposed because of the extreme amounts of heat it created and engineers did not think that current hsf would suffice without direct contact with the core (only a guess on my part).