spc
uniqs
antioch
join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA

antioch to knarf829

to knarf829

Re: Verizon Email To Replace BBU Battery

The issue is that some of the first batch of BBUs we deployed did not have a built in protector. So, a surge of power can burn or the BBU. Were replacing them now with identical looking BBUs and OPSUs.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere

My ONT was apparently fried by a power surge after a brief power outage a couple weeks ago. I lost Internet, TV, and phone service.

I used my wireless phone to contact Verizon and eventually got a service call the same day to replace the ONT.

A couple days later I bought two surge protectors, unplugged the ONT from the wall and plugged it into one of the protectors.

A couple hours after doing that I got the same e-mail message about replacing my battery, which I of course ignored. Everything seems to be working fine.

MagicalPig
join:2008-07-25

MagicalPig to antioch

to antioch
said by antioch:

The issue is that some of the first batch of BBUs we deployed did not have a built in protector. So, a surge of power can burn or the BBU. Were replacing them now with identical looking BBUs and OPSUs.

If they are being replaced due to a design flaw then VZ shouldn't really be charging for the replacement. Especially if they are initiating a replacement that some customers may not need right now. Nickel and dime'ing us over this considering what we pay is pretty crappy.

vzfiostechnj
@verizon.net

vzfiostechnj

Anon

The other poster is confused. The defect is with the first generation power supply units which would fail after a power outage in which the power came back on and the surge caused the units to fail.

This is totally different than the topic of this thread which is the actual user replaceable battery requiring replacement when its charge capacity has been depleted and the battery itself needs replacing.

Verizon does replace the power supply units and battery backup units when the are encountered in the field at no charge to the customer. But again this has nothing to do with the actual battery itself.