spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bwclark
join:2004-07-05
Eureka, CA

bwclark

Port landline # to Smartphone; Keep DSL Pro service

I have ATT landline and DSL Pro internet. I want to get rid of the landline and keep the DSL Pro. I also want to port/move my current landline # to a smartphone when I get one (Samsung GS4).
So, I figure the best move for me is to go ATT to make sure when my number is ported I don't lose the DSL.
In my area, Verizon has the better coverage, but not significantly better, so ATT with the Samsung Galaxy S4 should be fine.....BUT it appears that Verizon has 4G LTE while ATT has 4G...not sure what the big diff. is however.

Anyone go thru this and have any advice on how to proceed? Big learning curve since this will be first smartphone.

As I understand..... In the DSL provisioning too, there is a specific option that should be used that converts line-share service (telephone and internet) to dry-loop service (internet only). If done properly, there will not be an issue. If ATT says they need to send a tech out to install then that is wrong.
So, if it is done correct as stated and the number is ported and then the dsl provisioning is set correct, I should be good?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

All I can say is Good Luck!

I know of several people who have lost their DSL service when trying to do this. The only safe way is to order a new DSL Direct circuit before starting the number port process (if you can find a sales CSR who will allow you to do this...AT&T has a policy that is apparently not always enforced that does not allow two DSL circuits at the same residential address). If you can do that, then as soon as the new DSL Direct circuit is active, you can cancel your old line-shared DSL account (but keep the POTS voice service). Once the line-shared DSL account is not associated with the voice service, it is then safe to order your cell phone and start the number port process.
bwclark
Eureka, CA

bwclark

Ok, well thanks for the heads up. I have a static IP from ATT back to 1999 and have DSL Pro for $25/month for many years....... I would like to just keep it that way.

I figured it would be a mess especially if I go thru Verizon ... hoping ATT can maybe get it a little more right.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

said by bwclark:

Ok, well thanks for the heads up. I have a static IP from ATT back to 1999 and have DSL Pro for $25/month for many years....... I would like to just keep it that way.

uhh, then I recommend not changing a thing. The minute that lineshare line goes dark, your IP's just went bye-bye with no method of recovering them! it's considered loss of grandfathered status on change. The other thing is if you are in a uverse converted area you won't get the DSL pro back either.

I would highly suggest pre-qualifying your address first and make sure you are not in a uverse converted area. You can check that online at uverse.att.com

Another thing I find with DSL and dry loops on marginal lines

taken from another thread I commented on

One thing to keep in mind with dry loop DSL.

While yes you do save money. Don't get me wrong I think it's a novel idea. I support it to the full end of the word. However, and keep in mind, if you are pretty far away from the office, or remote terminal it's better to keep a basic POTS plus DSL. Reason being is for some reason on farther out loops it seems the POTS plus DSL lines are fairing better than the regular dry loop dsl lines. I don't know what it is or why and part of me thinks it might have something to do with the POTS power being on the line, kind of like a carrier.

I have for some change entire DSLAMs, entire ports, entire office wiring, and in the end it seems to come down to the same answer in the end.... it worked better with pots plus DSL. Ironically the minute they order a cheap phone line and line-share with it, it magically starts working again. I also notice these loops when it comes back requires less power as well. One example, that dsl was using 25.5db of power for the entire profile and the best it would achieve was 1480. The minute they put a lifeline line-share on it, Power literally dropped in 1/2 and it was getting full 1536 speeds. This guy I moved him to two different DSLAMs in the office, I lost count on the cable pair changes. Changed every last jumper wire between him and the remote, replaced the drop and had his entire nid and all replaced. Had his modem replaced, had his cords replaced. In the end..... a lineshare and I haven't heard from them since march of last year. They have had no other DSL tickets since that small change.

Only working theory I can think of as to why it works: The POTS signaling is the carrier for the DSL on the longer loops. Something ADSL2/VDSL2 doesn't have to have as they have more bits per channel.

bwclark
Eureka, CA

bwclark

Oh my....thanks for the info!

I checked and I am in a Uverse area for internet, but not TV or Phone.

Sure would be nice to not have the old 1950 telephone setup, so I guess I can do without the static and just go with whatever. Looks like it is more expensive for the internet.
I currently am paying $49 total/ month dsl and phone (measured rate as I don't use it much).

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

One option might be to see if AT&T currently offers a virtual forwarding service that lets you keep your existing POTS number (and should have no effect on your current DSL service), but permanently forwards all incoming calls to another number. I did that for a while after I moved from Nashville to Murfreesboro and I wanted to keep my old Nashville number until everyone got used to the new Murfreesboro number (even though it was in the same area code, BellSouth would not transfer my Nashville number to Murfreesboro). I did the same thing again a couple of years later when I tried to port that AT&T Murfreesboro number to Vonage, but BellSouth refused to port the number.

If memory serves me that cost me ~$5 per month.
bwclark
Eureka, CA

bwclark

After reading this... »Details on Rumored New AT&T U-Verse Speeds [97] comments

it is probably a good time to ditch the dsl and upgrade to Uverse by cancelling phone and dsl and go with the new install at Elite levels!

Get the wireless going so I won't be without internet access while I am without PC internet and the install progresses.
bwclark

bwclark

Dumped DSL Pro and went with 15 mb cable by Suddenlink.
Very nice! ... yes but more $

Feel like I am part of the 21 century now.

Next, in a few months, the copper wire to the house by ATT will be gone as I go to Verizon wireless and the GS4!

Former PacBell.net email continues to work.