Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

said by whoyourdaddy:

then why no jail time for the nsa or fbi

Because when the gov't does it and the legislature and courts OK it, IT ISN'T ILLEGAL. You can debate forever whether it was right or wrong, but whether people like it or not, the gov't gets to decide what is illegal or not. Don't like that, then throw those elected officials out of office on election day.
whoyourdaddy
join:2013-02-20
Honey Brook, PA

whoyourdaddy

that's what I do

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to whoyourdaddy

to whoyourdaddy
said by whoyourdaddy:

simple... they went back after the law was broken and changed the rules.

»www.wired.com/threatleve ··· pproves/

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

coldmoon to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by whoyourdaddy:

Because when the gov't does it and the legislature and courts OK it, IT ISN'T ILLEGAL. You can debate forever whether it was right or wrong, but whether people like it or not, the gov't gets to decide what is illegal or not. Don't like that, then throw those elected officials out of office on election day.

You miss the real point here. Congress made it legal AFTER AT&T and others broke the law. So even IF it is legal NOW, it wasn't legal when they committed the criminal acts...

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN to whoyourdaddy

to whoyourdaddy
said by whoyourdaddy:

I know what you mean. The FBI tapped into ex-Governor Rod Blagojevich's phone which indicted him.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to whoyourdaddy

Premium Member

to whoyourdaddy
Hilarious watching him get ripped apart on Reddit:

»www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/co ··· der_the/

TLDR: Weev is a douche, not a hero.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

1 recommendation

SimbaSeven

said by Cabal:

Ya, but they could've done this to anyone if they wanted. From what I read on reddit, this idiot was fsckin' with people and gloating every step of the way.
said by French87@reddit :

From the article:

The day before his sentencing he posted a comment on Reddit saying, “My regret is being nice enough to give AT&T a chance to patch before dropping the dataset to Gawker. I won’t nearly be as nice next time.”

On Monday morning, federal prosecutors used his Reddit post to support their call for a four-year sentence.

His ego was so huge that he posted the day before his sentencing on what he did. Too bad it backfired on him, freakin' idiot.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by SimbaSeven:

said by Cabal:

Ya, but they could've done this to anyone if they wanted. From what I read on reddit, this idiot was fsckin' with people and gloating every step of the way.
said by French87@reddit :

From the article:

The day before his sentencing he posted a comment on Reddit saying, “My regret is being nice enough to give AT&T a chance to patch before dropping the dataset to Gawker. I won’t nearly be as nice next time.”

On Monday morning, federal prosecutors used his Reddit post to support their call for a four-year sentence.

His ego was so huge that he posted the day before his sentencing on what he did. Too bad it backfired on him, freakin' idiot.

while he might be an idiot, the CFAA is so overly broad, and so vague, that it can be used to prosecute nearly anyone for any type of computer related crime. This just goes to show(the sentencing and railroading of a case in general) that the government will swarm like bees when you piss them off(which they did when he disclosed Obamas Ipad ICCID, which is probably why he got so railroaded). He will probably win an appeal on some grounds, simply because the CFAA is so overly broad, and this likely does not fall under it, since he did not gain unauthorized access to a system, it was a public facing server.