join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to markysharkey

Premium Member

to markysharkey

Re: [Config] New uplink

WTF are you talking about? Valid VLAN IDs are 1-4095 (12bits.) Some systems apply additional rules... vlan 0 or vlan 4095 handled as "all vlans", etc. Others have limits on the total number of vlans allowed (hardware limits usually.)

And then there's Cisco continuing brain damage... the "translation" vlans. NX-OS (Nexus) finally abandoned that crap, however IOS (and CatOS) switches still support FDDI and tokenring translation that cannot be turned off -- vlans 1002-1005 are, thus, reserved. (This is so stupid; they haven't made either fddi or token gear in over 15 years.)

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

1 edit

tubbynet

MVM

said by cramer:

And then there's Cisco continuing brain damage... the "translation" vlans. NX-OS (Nexus) finally abandoned that crap, however IOS (and CatOS) switches still support FDDI and tokenring translation that cannot be turned off -- vlans 1002-1005 are, thus, reserved. (This is so stupid; they haven't made either fddi or token gear in over 15 years.)

but nx-os on the n7k has its own awesome internally allocated vlans -- and there are two ranges -- 81 vlans that can't be allocated -- and 128 that can be shifted -- but must be continuous.

»www.cisco.com/en/US/docs ··· _1273370

[edited to add] yes, i know that the c6k platform has allocated vlans as well (»www.cisco.com/en/US/docs ··· p1032562) -- but the usage is far less than the n7k.

q.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Right. I forgot about internal vlans -- it's never bit me, so I tend to forget about them. 'tho my coworkers love of "1000" based things does create problems.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to cramer

MVM

to cramer
said by cramer:

WTF are you talking about? Valid VLAN IDs are 1-4095 (12bits.)

Sorry, not clear in my post I realise.

Im more than aware that VLAN IDs are a 12 bit value, and the various flavours of VLAN limits that are around.

What Im talking about is that hes trying to trunk VLAN 1055 in to the provider. He said he set this because a sub-int requires a VLAN ID, so was it just some random VLAN ID? Was it specified by the carrier?

If the provider isn't expecting or accepting this VLAN tag, or any, then its not going to work. So not "valid" in the context of the circuit hes trying to bring up.

Hence we need more details from this guy, like a diagram, some kind of technical spec from the provider that indicates trunking and/or VLAN IDs or whatever. In any case, more information needed.