spc
Search similar:

uniqs
krock83
join:2010-03-02

krock83

Software Crash

Hi All,

I am trying to understand why a router reboots due to a Software Forced Crash. I have a couple of routers that are doing the same thing, I dont have smartnet on these devices so I cant go to Cisco and ask them. If it is a bug in the IOS I have a few questions on that:

1. why did it start last week and not last year?
2. how come the other 80+ sites that are on the same code are not crashing?

Site1 uptime is 2 hours, 49 minutes
System returned to ROM by error - a Software forced crash, PC 0x495CB00 at 14:00:03 EDT Fri Sep 7 2012
System restarted at 11:07:00 EDT Mon Mar 18 2013
System image file is "flash0:c2951-universalk9-mz.SPA.150-1.M4.bin"

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

this may get you started.

q.

kamikatze
join:2007-11-02

kamikatze to krock83

to krock83
Probably a long shot but one of my 2921s was crashing pretty much randomly with really no pattern at all and after weeks and weeks of troubleshooting turns out DTLS was bringing the whole box down.

»www.cisco.com/en/US/docs ··· D0579333

You can use the no svc dtls command in the WebVPN group policy configuration mode to disable the DTLS support on the SSL VPN.

Little did i know DTLS is enabled by default.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to krock83

MVM

to krock83
I have seen that one of the following hardware issues contributed to Software Crash.

* Incompatible memory chip (did someone try to swap memory recently?)
* Loose memory chip (was the router not securely mounted?)
* Dust bunnies clogging air flow (is the router not in clean area?)
* Fluctuating power source (lightning or failed UPS could be the culprit)
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to krock83

MVM

to krock83
Is there a crashfile? I may be able to use the work CCO ID to see if it turns up anything.

Regards

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to aryoba

to aryoba
There is one crash error that's supposed to be caused by solar activity. I once googled an error message from a 7206 that lead to a Cisco page that said the cause was due to solar activity. Instead do telling everyone that was the cause of the reload I just made up a reason.
krock83

1 edit

krock83 to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
@tubbynet

I looked at the doc, good doc I hope its not a watchdog error

@aryoba..

I have the field engineed check all that and he said the closet is clean, no dust, new APC units have been installed in January. There is no external flash on this router...

@HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

Is there a crashfile? I may be able to use the work CCO ID to see if it turns up anything.

Regards

I was able to get the crashfile and attach it to the reply...

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
aryoba
MVM

aryoba to krock83

MVM

to krock83
said by krock83:

I have a couple of routers that are doing the same thing, I dont have smartnet on these devices so I cant go to Cisco and ask them.

A 2951 router is current Cisco router model, so there should be no problem getting Smartnet contract. Is there a reason why there is no such contract especially when the routers are for production? I would assume it is financial reason
krock83

krock83

Correct,

The business is being to cheap to get smartnet on the filed routers and switches, but sure as hell like to complain when they have issues like this. Only smartnet we have is in the DR and DC equipment.
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

I assume the businesses were unaware the risks of not having Smartnet contracts, hence the complaints aroused
krock83

krock83

When I got here, the network was allready in place. I talked to the director today but I dont think that the business will get those on smartnet anytime soon.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to krock83

MVM

to krock83
said by krock83:

The business is being to cheap to get smartnet on the filed routers and switches, but sure as hell like to complain when they have issues like this.

Insert long string of 4letter explitives here or insert picture of you showing your backside to them. Idiots...

I'll download the crashfile and run it thru CCO... if you can wait a few days krock83 See Profile for the results.
I'm still on (a well deserved) vacation here, and wishing I could stay this way alittle longer if I could

Regards
krock83

krock83

NP I can wait I appreciate the help. Enjpy the rest of your vaction
aryoba
MVM

aryoba to krock83

MVM

to krock83
said by krock83:

The business is being to cheap to get smartnet on the filed routers and switches, but sure as hell like to complain when they have issues like this. Only smartnet we have is in the DR and DC equipment.

When I got here, the network was allready in place. I talked to the director today but I dont think that the business will get those on smartnet anytime soon.

This is where folks like tubbynet See Profile make their money

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by aryoba:

This is where folks like tubbynet See Profile make their money

absolutely.
of course -- it also doesn't hurt that my fiance is a smartnet guru (she's managed smartnet recasts for some incredibly large and difficult accounts). while i can speak to sparing, coverage, etc -- she can actually speak to the cost of everything -- and do it well.

in all reality -- she'd make more money on this than i would ;-P.

q.
aryoba
MVM

aryoba to HELLFIRE

MVM

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

said by krock83:

The business is being to cheap to get smartnet on the filed routers and switches, but sure as hell like to complain when they have issues like this.

Insert long string of 4letter explitives here or insert picture of you showing your backside to them. Idiots...

I've seen too many occasions where business units took network stability and performance for granted. Assuming the network is designed and implemented properly, yes you should expect no network issue for many years to come. However just like cars, servers, and PC; network gears do need maintenance and support to keep working properly. If network stops working, nothing works since everything rides on network

kamikatze
join:2007-11-02

kamikatze to battleop

to battleop
quote:
I once googled an error message from a 7206 that lead to a Cisco page that said the cause was due to solar activity.
Bit-squatting. It's serious business.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· #t=13m38
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to krock83

MVM

to krock83
said by aryoba:

said by HELLFIRE:

said by krock83:

I've seen too many occasions where business units took network stability and performance for granted. Assuming the network is designed and implemented properly, yes you should expect no network issue for many years to come. However just like cars, servers, and PC; network gears do need maintenance and support to keep working properly. If network stops working, nothing works since everything rides on network

My personal favorite story of this is the John Hamalka and CareWest outage of 2002. I keep the PPT presentation
close to me; next person I run into that takes the view of "IT is a utility, we don't need to spend anything on it"
is gonna get the fullon monty on it.

Stupidity is bad enough, but Stupidity and Ignorance is an unbeatable combination.

...and I see kamikatze See Profile has arisen again and graced us with his presence

Regards
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

said by HELLFIRE:

Stupidity is bad enough, but Stupidity and Ignorance is an unbeatable combination.

I recalled such statement was somewhat rolande See Profile's footnote posts prior his CCIE passing