spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gallowsroad
join:2004-08-09
Kansas City, KS

gallowsroad

Photo for E-Book Cover

I've been approached by a person working on an e-book about the license price of using one of my photos for its cover. This will be a print on demand/Kindle book.

I've had photos used for various things in the past and been paid for many of them, but have zero experience when it comes to e-books (I am still a bound paper kind of guy) and haven't a clue what would be fair in determining a price point. Appreciate any insight you all might provide.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy

Premium Member

Hard enough to price an eBook... even harder when it's available on demand. Presuming this is self-published I would look towards the minimum "print run" and factor in where they expect the book to be distributed.
gallowsroad
join:2004-08-09
Kansas City, KS

gallowsroad

said by Stacy:

Hard enough to price an eBook... even harder when it's available on demand. Presuming this is self-published I would look towards the minimum "print run" and factor in where they expect the book to be distributed.

The person inquiring did not divulge either the anticipated run or their price point for the book. My guess, based on what little I know, is they have a predetermined audience that is not going to be all that large.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy

Premium Member

These are both reasonable questions you should ask. Pricing an image doesn't necessarily depend on the price point of the book. You could accept a percentage of the book's royalties but it could take years for the pennies to trickle in. I would go for the per-edition rate - up to 5,000 or 10,000 copies.