spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

roawoo

join:2013-03-13
Toronto, ON

[DSL] VDSL2 coverage for midtown Toronto?

I was looking into switching from cable to dsl for more upload speed and apparently bell offers only up to 25/10 (ADSL2+) in my area (Yonge & Eglinton), which is fine as I only need the 10 up (and 28 down to 25 down isn't that big of a deal). However, I got curious and checked out my previous addresses; one in North York (Yonge & Sheppard) and one in downtown (Bay & Front) and VDSL2 profile is serviced in both areas. It was sort of weird seeing a blind spot between downtown and uptown for VDSL2 coverage. Is midtown getting no love or is Bell looking into upgrading the area soon?

short ver: checked out 3 addresses for bell vdsl2 coverage (all within 1 or 2 blocks east & west of yonge) and the middle one gets no love ;-;

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
There's a neighbourhood in the west-end of Niagara Falls where all the houses on one side of the street can get 50/10 VDSL and Fibe TV, and the other side can only get 6M/800k ADSL. Around the corner from them both is all FTTH.

It happens.

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Indeed, it happens. It's all based on who's wired to what pedestal on the street and what services those and what's installed.

Case in point - my address in High Park was "up to 16Mbps" prior to the Fibe era, but you'd get maybe 5 or 6 at max.

It remained this way until magically one day we had 25/10 because they installed FTTN everywhere. Now I have 50/10 and FibeTV available.

Bhruic

join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to roawoo
said by roawoo:

I was looking into switching from cable to dsl for more upload speed and apparently bell offers only up to 25/10 (ADSL2+) in my area (Yonge & Eglinton)

There is no 25/10 ADSL2+ profile. If you are getting 10 up, it's VDSL2.

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON
reply to roawoo
It's all based on loop lengths. As was pointed out, anything 10 up is VDSL so the equipment isn't the issue. Go a couple hundred meters down your street closer to the remote and 50/10 will be available.
--
Taylor Byrnes

keenmay

join:2010-08-22
reply to roawoo
Are they working on expanding coverage or is it only available for people within proximity?